Check out this deck guys. :)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 DurinIII

DurinIII

• Members
  • 471 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:21 PM

This is a highly themed deck I have been working on as each expansion has been coming out.  Thematically it focuses on the big three fantastic races Hobbits, Dwarves and Elves.  I particularly like it for it's very low starting threat (23) it's ability to draw 2 cards per turn, quest above average, lower threat and recycle the deck.  I hope some of you guys can try it out and let me know what you think! :)  

The apparent weakness of the deck is it's relatively low attack strength on allies.  The solution to this is Haldir, Gildor and most importantly Mirkwood Runner (don't underestimate this guy!). 

Heroes: Frodo, Bilbo and Bifur.

Deck

Allies:

Haldir x2

Mirkwood Runner x3

Gildor Inglorion x3

Longbeard mapmaker x2

Erebor Hammersmith x2

Miner of the Iron Hills x2

Bofur x3

Gandalf x3

Attachments:

Ancient Mathom x3

Fast Hitch x3

Protector of Lorien x2

Forest Snare x2

Unexpected Courage x1

Boots From Erebor x3

Song of Wisdom x3

Song of Travel x3

Events:

Lore of Imladris x2

The Galadhrim's Greeting x2

Hasty Stroke x2

A Test of Will x2

Will of the West x2

#2 DurinIII

DurinIII

• Members
  • 471 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:32 PM

Well, I have already messed around with the construction some more and have taken out the 2x Lore of Imladris and added in 2x Wealth of Lorien.  I took out the 3x Song of Travel and added in 3x Out of the Wild.  Lastly, I removed 2x Hasty Stroke and 2x Forest Snare to add in 3x Good Meal (I really love this card combo with Bilbo and Frodo as two of my Heroes) and a single Song of Travel.

Overall, I am having more fun with these revisions.  The 'Hobbit-like' theme of this deck just got even Hobbitier with the inclusion of Good Meal. :)

#3 scottindeed

scottindeed

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:46 AM

Good for you for sticking to a theme.  I do this with all my decks now.  I'm currently running 2 player decks with all six Dwarf heroes and as many Dwarf themed cards as I can.  It's going great!

#4 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:11 AM

From a quick glance really, not having much time at the moment, I like the idea behind it. I play a similar deck with Denethor replacing Bifur - thus it is much less thematic than yours.

Now for a few suggestion if you do not mind. The one card I would recommend in any deck with Frodo, much more with Bilbo also, is Good Meal. The potential to lower the cost of events is invaluable. And if you play Songs, it will be even more versatile. The Galadhrim's Greeting on round 1 with only 1 Spirit hero is huge.

Furthermore, it might not be hard to move into secrecy with such a deck. Basically you just need the Galadhrim's early. And then you can play the upcoming Resourceful for cheap. Using a proxy, I have been playing the card for about two weeks now in a similar deck and if you get it early, it dramatically changes the game to your benefit.

And/or, since you play Lore-major, Spirit-miner, would it not be useful to add Zigil Miner to the deck? It would fit the theme and Gildor is already there to cooperate. The Miner can be of use even without the ability.

I totally agree about Mirkwood Runner, in such a deck that takes time to build and is light on attacking strength, Runner is a great card to have.

Cheers.

ps: After looking little longer as to what cards to remove in order to incorporate the suggestions I see two easy swaps: Zigil Miner for the other Miner and Good Meal for Boots. The latter seems obvious. While it is good to have the utility to help preventing Bilbo from getting killed, Frodo can already do the job. And since you already run Hammersmith, he shall help you recycle the food.

#5 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:13 AM

scottindeed said:

Good for you for sticking to a theme.  I do this with all my decks now.  I'm currently running 2 player decks with all six Dwarf heroes and as many Dwarf themed cards as I can.  It's going great!

This is one aspect I really love about the game, theme goes well with strategy. Thus the Bilbo and Boromir type of player can live in symbiosis. Many traits still need to develop but one can already see the synergies working now.

#6 Morithain

Morithain

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:24 AM

I love the theme of this deck!  Another suggestion--what if, when you can, you swap Bifur for the new Lore Strider?  Being able to soak wounds with threat combined with Strider's threat reset would be huge, though at some sacrifice of starting threat.  I love the theme, too, of Strider leading the two hobbit heros into the wild.  I must try this deck now!

PS I agree with you on the mirkwood runner, and with other suggestions on adding zigil miner. 

#7 DurinIII

DurinIII

• Members
  • 471 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:03 PM

lleimmoen: Great points man.  I don't know if you noticed, but I commented directly under my own post with some card revisions I did immediately after that post, while looking back through my box of free people cards I realized that I must play Good Meal! This card is awesome while playing 2 starting hobbits!  I love this deck. :)

Morithain: Thanks for posting!  Yeah, I just may try that with the new Strider.  You are absolutely right when you say that adding Strider alongside the hobbits would be an awesome theme!  It will be. :) I hope you have some success with this deck if you try it!

Scottindeed: That sounds like a fun time with all of those dwarves! :) Dwarves are my all time favorite race in Tolkien.  You are right; theme is where it is at when building decks for me!

#8 Angus Lee

Angus Lee

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

lleimmoen said:

And since you already run Hammersmith, he shall help you recycle the food.

Oh, the Hammersmith is a good cook, too!

Once ... Always ...

My blog (in Simplified Chinese): http://blog.sina.com/b0ardgames

#9 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:15 PM

Angus Lee said:

lleimmoen said:

And since you already run Hammersmith, he shall help you recycle the food.

Oh, the Hammersmith is a good cook, too!

Although some have noticed he likes his dishes rather hot.

#10 DurinIII

DurinIII

• Members
  • 471 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:51 AM

Haha! I can just picture him holding a tray and pulling a fresh loaf of bread out of that oven instead of a sword. Haha! ;) 

#11 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:10 AM

Good deck, D3!

In addition to what has been said I would add Burning Brand as shadow effects tend to get nastier as the game progresses.

That, and make every single hero a dwarf. 

#12 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:46 AM

A Burning Brand, yes.

Dwarves, no. It is not even possible with Lore and Spirit only. And Dwalin would not fit this deck either. I guess it was just a jest unless you are saying "it is a good deck but you should change it all."

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS