• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gaire

Gaire

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

Sup, Deathwatchers.

I'm rapidly approaching the point in my campaign where my players will be able to secure their Artificer Armor. Two of them are very fond of their Mark VI Corvus Armor, and I'm rather loathe to take it away from them just because the rules for Artificer Armor only cover artificer Mk VII. So, in regards to Artificer Mark IV-VI, as well as Mark VIII, how do armor history rolls and AP values work? Would they all have AP 12/All? Also, do they always get an extra roll on the armor history table (as per Mark VII Artificer getting 2 rolls) so Mark IV gets 4, V and VI get 3, and VIII gets 2? Apologies in advance if this has already been addressed and I missed the thread.

In nomine Imperator, et Primarchus, et Astartes.

#2 DJSunhammer

DJSunhammer

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:56 PM

Articifer armor has no type, each set is unique. They could be based on a certain pattern and have stat bonuses related to that, or they could be totally unique creations with their own quirks and bits of helpful technology.

I would say that you shouldn't add additional histories, since the armor is already established, or at the most add a history for a suit based on a pattern with only one history. You might slightly increase the strength of the histories that already exist, or add other effects like a gorget or more powerful auto-senses. You could incorporate many of the different pieces of wargear into each suit, like one that has an MIU built in that is tuned for ranged combat and gives a bonus to BS tests. Or a suit that has a digital laser built into the helm. You could literally do anything you can reasonably imagine with Articifer armor, you just need to make sure that the armor doesn't make the player too powerful and to keep a balance between the suits that exist so that one isn't more powerful than another.

Another thing, most often Articifer armor isn't created on the spot [there are exceptions to this, however.] You should write a small bit of fluff for each suit and decide what the suit is good at behind the scenes, rather than letting a player do it. You might even reveal new [or forgotten] functions of the armor as the game progresses, instead of letting them all out as soon as the player gets the armor.

#3 Gaire

Gaire

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:50 PM

Good point. Only suits of artificer armor that have appeared in the game so far are the suit made by the Techmarine/Forge Master and the suit belonging to the Kill-Team's Watch Captain.

#4 professor_kylan

professor_kylan

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:50 PM

I don't know if this would help any, but this is the background fluff I wrote up for my (non-functional) artificer armour for a game I was temporarily in. The idea was that it was a suit of Mk.4 that I was going to upgrade to true artificer armour through recover its old sister-suits and repairing some of its old, broken systems.

http://www.fantasyfl...=3&efidt=609879

#5 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:47 AM

Gaire said:

In nomine Imperator, et Primarchus, et Astartes.

Should be, "in nomine Imperatoris et Primarchi et Astartium."

#6 aussieyobbo

aussieyobbo

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:34 AM

core rule book pg 163

Astartes Artificer Armour

Painstakingly cared for and customised for each esteemed bearer, artificer armour is the rarest form of power armour. The technology and superdense materials used to construct these suits is unparalleled inside the Imperium. Each one is a masterwork of artificer ingenuity and (outside of Techmarines labouring towards their own) is awarded only to true Chapter heroes. Artificer armour is always Master-Crafted. In addition to the effects of standard Astartes power armour, the advanced helmet incorporates an MIU. Some suits incorporate even more unusual features, such as automated fibre re-weaving, eliminating the need for Repair Cement to seal most breaches. Only countless hours of labour at the blazing Space Marine forges gives rise to a suit of artificer armour. The unique inlays, engravings, and profile represent the vision which drove its maker to such a momentous undertaking, and its machine spirit waxes wise and powerful. Roll twice on Table 5–12: Power Armour History to determine the properties of aparticular unit.

#7 herichimo

herichimo

• Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:37 AM

Just posting up a reply to put this recent discussion back where it belongs after all the necro posting by yibbo.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS