High Elf Indirect Damage...no units

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jowimus

Jowimus

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:07 AM

This is just a concept I've been playing around with lately. It seems to play pretty fast, but has some pretty awful problems with rush. However, if I can survive to turn 5 or 6 and get a decent base in my quest zone going, the combo or Gifts of Aenarion and Comet of Casandora is pretty awesome, and can throw down a pretty ridiculous amount of damage during my opponents turn. One HUGE added bonus to going unitless is that it really takes the teeth out of a ton of cards that I've had trouble with in the past like Offering to Hekarti, Wight Lord, Blood Dragon Knight, Sorceror of Tzeentch, Troll Vomit, Rock Lobber Crew etc.

I have considered adding some dwarf cards to this deck, like Demolition and Master Rune of Valaya, probably at the expense of the Banishes (which seem to be a little over priced IMO). However, I've been pretty motivated to keep this as a mostly High Elf deck simply because I've done pretty well with them despite any weaknesses compared to other factions and because I'm pretty much the only one to play HE in my area!

Tactics: 27

Convocation of Eagles x3
From Beneath the Waves x3
Gifts of Aenarion x3
Flames of the Phoenix x3
Banish x3
Comet of Casandora x3
High Elf Disdain x3
Master of Earth x3
Burn it Down x3

Support: 23

Temple of Vaul x3
Citadel of Dusk x3
Outpost of Tiranoc x3
Warpstone Excavation x3
Contested Village x3
Judgement of Loec x3
Watchstone of Athel Tamarha x3
Elven Warship x3

Any thoughts or suggestions?

#2 Virgo

Virgo

• Members
  • 706 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:41 PM

Und Dokbar much? XD

#3 Jowimus

Jowimus

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:19 AM

Virgo said:

Und Dokbar much? XD

Thats a pretty cool card too!

What is everyone's thoughts on Empire card Voice of Command for this deck?

#4 Mallumo

Mallumo

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:38 AM

I would strongly consider Surprise Assault, and I'd indeed get a little help from our friends, the Dwarfs. Mainly for the Master Runes of Valaya and Spite. I wouldn't branch into Empire for Voice of Command, but anything that keeps you in the game against a unit onslaught, like Chain Lightning, would help, and there's of course Pigeon Bombs when you got some Outposts in play. The loyalty requirements are high though.

And well, it's not at all what it used to be due to the errata, but when you're going for unitless indirect damage, you should still consider Repeater Bolt Thrower.

#5 Jowimus

Jowimus

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:19 AM

For some reason, Surprise Assault completely slipped my mind. I've got three and will add them tonight. All my developments go in the Battlefield anyway for Burn it Down.

As far as RBT...I've gone back and forth on it. Its expensive, but resources isn't really a big issue in this list since the Gifts of Aenarion + Comet of Casandora combo generates scads of cash that will often just get wasted anyway. May as well spend it on the overcosted, once per turn RBT?

#6 YuriNow

YuriNow

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:57 AM

It is a quite new idea without any units in the deck within my circle.

Comet of Casandora, Gifts of Aenarion are quite nice combo against other races and it works most of the games. I played two Comet of Casandora in one turn and my friend just surrendered.

My deck only has one strategy which is using Scroll of Asur, Comet of Casandora, Gifts of Aenarion to deal indirect damage to opponent and placing dragon's lair as a distraction.

Unit: 24
Shadow Warrior x3
White Lion Vanguard x3
Star Dragon x3
Envoy from Averlorn x3
Valorous Mage x3
Forest Dragon x3
Moon Dragon x3
Descendant of Indraugnir x3

Tactics: 18
High Elf's Disdain x3
Innovation x3
Asuryan's Cleansing x3
Gifts of Aenarion x3
Comet of Casandora x3
Scroll of Asur x3

Support: 8
Judgement of Loec x3
Dragon's Lair x3
Contested Village x3

All the dragons are for Dragon's Lair & Comet of Casandora.  (Mostly for Comet of Casandora, as their printed cost are extremely high.)
In one game,  I used Scroll of Asur, Gifts of Aenarion & Comet of Casandora, gave my friend 17pts indirect damage and gained 17 resources in turn 3.

Cool to have player using HE with this innovative idea. 

#7 Jowimus

Jowimus

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:54 AM

I''ve played several more times with it recently and have made a few changes by including Master Rune of Valaya to defend against rush, Demolition to Slow down my opponent, and Surprise Assault replaced from beneath the waves. These changes have helped so far, by I''m still open to criticism! I''m not sold on the Convocation of Eagles. They seem to speed me up, but I''m wondering if something else might be better in that same role, or even if cutting them out and going to 50 cards would be overall "faster" and more efficient.

Tactics: 30

Comet of Casandora 3
Surprise Assault 3
Master of Earth 3
Gift of Aenarion 3
Burn it Down 3
Demolition 3
High Elf Disdain 3
Flames of the Phoenix 3
Master Rune of Valaya 3
Convocation of Eagles 3

Support: 23

Temple of Vaul 2
Watchstone of Athel Tamarha 3
Tiranoc Outpost 3
Warpstone Excavation 3
Contested Village 3
Elven Warship 3
Citadel of Dusk 3
Judgement of Loec 3

53 Cards.

#8 Mallumo

Mallumo

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:56 AM

I''m not sure the support destruction is really worth it just to slow the opponent down, supports aren''t going to interfere with your plan much. I''d rather take From Beneath the Waves back in.

Gathering the Winds from Rising Dawn can allow you to recycle your important tactics.

Well, and you could always include some epic spells - not for themselves, but simply as fodder for the Comet. Though you''d probably need some deck manipulation effects too to make that worthwhile.

#9 Doc9

Doc9

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:19 PM

I would get rid of the Demolitions as you already have the Burn it Downs. With the developments in your battlefield and no associated loyalty, the Burns are more than enough. I agree with Mallumo about not needing to focus on support destruction with this deck. the Burns should be effecient enough. Maybe even add Morvaels''s Legacy for the 10 cost to make the Comet go boom. Of course, that would probably require Scroll of Asur to set up.

#10 Jowimus

Jowimus

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:31 AM

Well, I've played with this several times and had a decent amount of success. Here are a few tweaks:

Tactics: 24 (Got Rid of Burn it Down and Demolition. I was rarely using them anyway)

Comet of Casandora 3
Surprise Assault 3
Master of Earth 3
Gift of Aenarion 3
High Elf Disdain 3
Flames of the Phoenix 3
Master Rune of Valaya 3
Convocation of Eagles 3

Support: 26 (Added Gathering of the Winds to ensure that I could get at the tactics I need like Comet or Gift if they are discarded for whatever reason).

Temple of Vaul 2
Watchstone of Athel Tamarha 3
Tiranoc Outpost 3
Warpstone Excavation 3
Contested Village 3
Elven Warship 3
Citadel of Dusk 3
Judgement of Loec 3
Gathering of the Winds 3

Total: 50

Overall, I wanted the deck to be a little faster and a little more reliable. After several plays, I think that this build accomplishes that the best (atleast so far).

#11 Kaine82

Kaine82

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:05 PM

What made you decide to take out Scroll of Asur? I was going to suggest it, but saw it in an earlier incarnation.

(Also I posted the list with links here as I am want to do.)

Play LCGs in Louisville KY :: Monthly tournaments at 2 locations!

Wednesdays :: Something2Do :: 6:30PM - 10:00PM

Fridays :: BluegrassMagic GameShop :: 6:30 PM - Midnight

RSVP :: meetup.com/cardboardgamers

#12 Jowimus

Jowimus

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:11 AM

I don't think I've ever tried Scroll in my deck, but Yuri above me has. He primarily uses Comet of Cassandora and Gift of Aenarion as an engine on his own turn to get lots of money to play tons of units and supports.

I like Scroll of Asur, but I really wanted to trim the deck down to 50 cards since the biggest problem with HE is their slow speed. And even though the Sroll can help to set up a big Comet strike, sometimes you have to use Cassandora without them in which case adding more 0 cost cards to your deck can hurt you. Still, I may have to try it out in the deck. Its got other advantages, such as free resources out of watchstone of Athel Tamarha, that might be worth exploring.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS