Photo

And so my painting journey begins with a single stroke...

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Siouxfire

Siouxfire

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:19 PM

So taking inspiration from all of you, I've taken a deep breath and started painting my Dust Tactics miniatures. I'm in two minds about the bases but the one thing I've decided is to colour code the armies (blue for allies, black for axis, red for SSU) using that angled strip of the base.

I'm waiting for my decals to arrive.Anyone have any experience ordering from dust-models.com? I had verification of payment from PayPal but no word from the company itself. Also, anyone from the UK order from them? I have no idea how long those bad boys will take to arrive.

Another question, has anyone painted the Punisher or Fireball Heavy Assault Walker? It's winging itself to me and I've no idea how to approach painting the thing.

Death Dealers

#2 Major Mishap

Major Mishap

• Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:22 AM

Delivery is normally pretty quick from Dust models, normally before 10 days.

#3 Siouxfire

Siouxfire

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:36 AM

Major Mishap said:

Thanks. Is that to the UK?

#4 Major Mishap

Major Mishap

• Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:21 AM

yup, delivery to uk, I've not paid any duty yet either.

#5 Siouxfire

Siouxfire

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:38 PM

Major Mishap said:

My decals arrived from Dust Models within a week! Anyone have any advice on applying these particular decals?

#6 Siouxfire

Siouxfire

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:41 PM

I've started on my take on Rosie. I've been dreading painting this figure and it was screaming for something different.

#7 Siouxfire

Siouxfire

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:23 AM

Gah! Her face is really, really maddening…

#8 Siouxfire

Siouxfire

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:30 AM

OK, my take on the Blackhawk…

#9 Siouxfire

Siouxfire

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:33 PM

A few more pics of the Blackhawk. (Don't even ask how long this took)

#10 Siouxfire

Siouxfire

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:46 AM

A few more bits and updates. The Priest is a prime example of how the new Agrax Earthshade can glossify. It isn't so easy to see in the picture but it looks as if it is coated in plastic--horrible.

I've worked on the bases for the Death Dealers and added some decals. I'm still disappointed I wasn't more daring with them but they were my first so I'll have to chalk that up to experience or tweak them forever.

#11 Siouxfire

Siouxfire

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:35 AM

I've started work on the Hammers. I decided to play around with skin tones and colours. I've learned the lesson to use lighter colours to compensate for washes. 

Also, I'm having trouble with some of my paints as they're doing odd things while sitting on my palette (baking sheet over moistened paper towels in tupperware). The paint seems to be separating into different pigments--I'm not sure what it's doing.

#12 Dakkon426

Dakkon426

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:41 AM

it just happens sometimes as different pigment will have different desity ie some float/sink and at different rates. Just mix it back together before you use it. Also your paint may be old/bad(not sure about this one as a cause)? what brand are you using?

#13 Siouxfire

Siouxfire

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:55 AM

Dakkon426 said:

it just happens sometimes as different pigment will have different desity ie some float/sink and at different rates. Just mix it back together before you use it. Also your paint may be old/bad(not sure about this one as a cause)? what brand are you using?

I'm using Vallejo  70967 Olive Green. It probably is just a case of continually mixing it, but it seems to separate so quickly. You can actually see the result on the middle Hammer above. I've recoated him since but it wasn't until the paint dried that I realised what was happening. I wonder if I should I be using baking paper?

#14 Dakkon426

Dakkon426

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:12 AM

U use vellejo as well you need to shake the paint a bit more give it a good 5-10 min shake before you start a session and a good minet every time you drop out more paint. 

#15 mgentile7

mgentile7

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:02 PM

Dakkon426 said:

U use vellejo as well you need to shake the paint a bit more give it a good 5-10 min shake before you start a session and a good minet every time you drop out more paint. 

I agree Valejo can take a bit of work to get mixed properly but they have the greatest colors.

#16 Siouxfire

Siouxfire

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:33 PM

mgentile7 said:

Dakkon426 said:

I agree Valejo can take a bit of work to get mixed properly but they have the greatest colors.

Thanks Dakkon, I haven't been shaking it that much. Will give that a go.

And Mgentile7, they are great colors and I prefer the drip bottles as well. I've used the GW paints as well but they've been hit and miss though I've only started using them after the new range came out.

#17 Siouxfire

Siouxfire

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:14 AM

Anyone else feel like they're almost done with painting a figure for several days? I've got the decals on the Hammers and started on the washes. The central cylinder of their packs is going to be a neon blue.

#18 mgentile7

mgentile7

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:23 PM

Siouxfire said:

Anyone else feel like they're almost done with painting a figure for several days? I've got the decals on the Hammers and started on the washes. The central cylinder of their packs is going to be a neon blue.

Dont feel bad I start minis some times and finish them months later. Ya just loose the focus on them and go in different directions at times. It happens to us all eventually.

#19 Siouxfire

Siouxfire

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:23 PM

mgentile7 said:

Dont feel bad I start minis some times and finish them months later. Ya just loose the focus on them and go in different directions at times. It happens to us all eventually.

I'm sure that will happen but my problem is that I can never let go, I keep tweaking and tweaking and tweaking. I don't think I consider anything finished.

#20 Siouxfire

Siouxfire

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:38 AM

I started on the bases creating some bricks/rubble from clay. (I keep noticing bits that need touching up when I upload these photos)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS