Tournament armies and auto losing

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 parcival42

parcival42

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:46 PM

One of the scenarios in Operation Cerberus requires the defender to deploy in a building.  In a tournament setting, where you have a fixed list that can't be changed after the scenario is chosen, do you lose all your walkers since they can't deploy/move in a building?  If you have an all walker list, do you auto lose?  

That same scenario requires the attacker to take an objective inside the building.  Again, does the all walker list forfeit the game?

Along the same lines,  the big walkers won't fit on the board in some scenarios because of odd deployment zones.  Does that mean you are just screwed out of those 80-100 points?

Thanks for any help.

#2 Dakkon426

Dakkon426

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:03 PM

There is nothing that prevents the walker from being in the buildings rules wise getting into and and out of the building is the only thing that is covered so you would either have to deploy inside the building and not leave or talk to the tournament organizer. also the scenarios you refer to are not really the best for tournament play. for the heavy walker problem I would say yes you screwed yourself by taking the wrong equipment. 

#3 FlorisH

FlorisH

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:21 PM

As above but the map has also been covered in the official FAQ with an errata. There is a row of deployment squares behind the building that isn't on the map in the book. It is on page 10 of the FAQ.

#4 Loophole Master

Loophole Master

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:06 AM

He's talking about Cerberus, not Victory Bridge.

#5 parcival42

parcival42

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:49 AM

Actually I think it was Victory Bridge.  Sorry, I don't have my books with me to check, and I didn't have errata with me when we were playing the other day.  The scenario I was talking about was one they suggested for tournaments...I believe it is "Seize the Explosives"

So, for tournaments, don't take all walker armies and don't bother bringing the heavies?  Any other suggestions or anything else that can ruin your game before you begin?

#6 parcival42

parcival42

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:49 AM

Opps.  Double post.

#7 FlorisH

FlorisH

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:59 AM

Loophole Master said:

He's talking about Cerberus, not Victory Bridge.

That will teach me to not pay attention when reading.

The mission from Cerberus is mission: 2 "The Very Last Stand"
In this mission the Attacker has 400 points and the defender has 200 points so that already makes it a difficult mission to use for a tournament.
That also means that the defending player can only take one heavy walker and nothing else (ok a spotter team, or sniper team).

So if this mission is used in a tournament then the defender only uses half of the army the attacker has and can simply leave the heavy walker out of his army for that game.

If the mission is from Victory Bridge then you can deploy walkers behind the building.

#8 Gothik

Gothik

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:44 AM

FlorisH said:

In this mission the Attacker has 400 points and the defender has 200 points so that already makes it a difficult mission to use for a tournament.
That also means that the defending player can only take one heavy walker and nothing else (ok a spotter team, or sniper team).

Well, You just said that defender has 200 points...

#9 Dakkon426

Dakkon426

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:01 AM

current most expensive unit is punisher at 100 pts.

#10 FlorisH

FlorisH

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:56 PM

God I was having a good day yesterday. First I get the mission wrong and then I have it in my head that the heavy walkers are a minimum of 190 points (thinking about it now, that whould be madness).

Ok, so the defender could take a heavy walker and another 100 points of units.

It doesn't take away from the fact that at half the points of the attacker, you simply leave your heavy walker out of the points you can take in that mission when in a tournament.

#11 Dakkon426

Dakkon426

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:45 AM

Dont feel too bad we all make mistakes.

#12 reptilebro1

reptilebro1

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:24 AM

couldn't you just put the heavy walker or any walker on the roof (via air dropped, lets say). would not be able to move much, but it would be a great vantage point.

#13 Loophole Master

Loophole Master

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:39 AM

A Punisher on the roof with Rosie inside to give it a second life might be very effective.

Can walkers use stairs to go from level to level?

#14 felkor

felkor

• Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:12 AM

Wow, deploying walkers on rooftops.  Never thought of that and it's totally legal in the current rules too.  Ha!  I don't think I could get away with it though - it would turn a friendly game into a not-so-friendly game perhaps.

#15 reptilebro1

reptilebro1

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:33 AM

I would have to say that the walker could not change levels, So it would be stuck on the top. If you wished to deploy it there.

#16 just Logan

just Logan

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:38 PM

From what I read of the rules-

"Of course, no vehicles or walkers can enter these

structures; the entrances are too small and the ceilings are too low."-Op Cerberus p.14

I don't see why you couldn't put one on the roof though.

Related: From what I read you cannot move a unit from the roof into a building (by the exact rules, all from Op Cerberus)-
*"If a squad is on the roof of a structure, it is considered to be outside of that structure" p.14

*"In order to enter (or exit) a structure, a unit must go through an entrance. This can be a
door or a window (during a firefight, soldiers can leap through a window in search of
cover). Units can only enter a structure from the ground floor." p15

"Units inside a structure can also move onto the structure’s roof by moving up from the top
floor of that structure." p.15

#17 Major Mishap

Major Mishap

• Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:06 AM

If a squad can't jump onto a roof, then I'm pretty sure that you can't drop a 500t walker on it :/

#18 felkor

felkor

• Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:55 AM

Major Mishap said:

If a squad can't jump onto a roof, then I'm pretty sure that you can't drop a 500t walker on it :/

You can't jump the squad onto the roof, but you can deploy it.there.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS