The Brotherhood without banners agenda

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Daenarys

Daenarys

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:51 AM

Hi, the card states ' If you would claim or move power to your house, you must place it on a Brotherhood character you control instead.

If you have no Brotherhood characters does this mean that no power is claimed or does this by default still go on the house card and if would this come from the central pool or the opponents house card.

Thanks

#2 KristoffStark

KristoffStark

• Members
  • 529 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:55 AM

Daenarys said:

Hi, the card states ' If you would claim or move power to your house, you must place it on a Brotherhood character you control instead.

If you have no Brotherhood characters does this mean that no power is claimed or does this by default still go on the house card and if would this come from the central pool or the opponents house card.

Thanks

Note presence of the word "must" and the absence of the phrase "if able."  That combination means that if you cannot place that Power on a Brotherhood character, you just lose it.

And, just like any other time, if you're claiming power, it comes from the central pool.  If you're moving power, it comes from somewhere else (like an opponent's house card).

#3 Daenarys

Daenarys

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:00 AM

KristoffStark said:

Note presence of the word "must" and the absence of the phrase "if able."  That combination means that if you cannot place that Power on a Brotherhood character, you just lose it.

And, just like any other time, if you're claiming power, it comes from the central pool.  If you're moving power, it comes from somewhere else (like an opponent's house card).

thanks but does this mean that if i as the attcaker win a power challenge against my opponent but have no brotherhood characters then i do not claim power but liewise the opponent does NOT lose power either as the claim cannot be fulfilled ?

Thanks

#4 KristoffStark

KristoffStark

• Members
  • 529 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:07 AM

Daenarys said:

KristoffStark said:

thanks but does this mean that if i as the attcaker win a power challenge against my opponent but have no brotherhood characters then i do not claim power but liewise the opponent does NOT lose power either as the claim cannot be fulfilled ?

Thanks

My understanding is that you would move the Power off of your opponent's house card, THEN the replacement effect of the Agenda kicks in, and since you cannot move it onto your house card, it would be placed back in the pool.

#5 Daenarys

Daenarys

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:23 AM

Thanks, all clear now

#6 Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr

• Members
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:16 PM

KristoffStark said:

My understanding is that you would move the Power off of your opponent's house card, THEN the replacement effect of the Agenda kicks in, and since you cannot move it onto your house card, it would be placed back in the pool.

I'm sorry, Kristoffer, you must think I'm stalking you or something. I'm not

That said, I'm pretty sure that's incorrect. Moving the power from the oppoent's house card and moving it onto your house card are not two distinct occurrences, they're one occurrence. If you can't legally put the power won in a power challenge in one of your cards, it stays put. I think this came up in a thread recently, but I seriously need to go to bed right now. The Search function should turn it up.

EDIT: Nevermind, found it:
http://www.fantasyfl...=4&efidt=521850

#7 KristoffStark

KristoffStark

• Members
  • 529 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:37 PM

Ratatoskr said:

KristoffStark said:

I'm sorry, Kristoffer, you must think I'm stalking you or something. I'm not

That said, I'm pretty sure that's incorrect. Moving the power from the oppoent's house card and moving it onto your house card are not two distinct occurrences, they're one occurrence. If you can't legally put the power won in a power challenge in one of your cards, it stays put. I think this came up in a thread recently, but I seriously need to go to bed right now. The Search function should turn it up.

EDIT: Nevermind, found it:
http://www.fantasyfl...=4&efidt=521850

~That's what all the squirrels say; get back to your tree!

Hmm, I see the logic there, but I'm not sure it makes sense to me.  Negating power claim because you have no place to put it... I suppose it's kind of like negating military claim if all of your characters cannot be killed.

Fair enough.

#8 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,569 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:57 PM

KristoffStark said:

Hmm, I see the logic there, but I'm not sure it makes sense to me.  Negating power claim because you have no place to put it... I suppose it's kind of like negating military claim if all of your characters cannot be killed.
Remember, the prize for winning a power challenge is a two-power swing: he loses 1, you gain 1. You either get all of the claim effect, or none of it. You don't get "half" of the claim effect by having him lose 1 without you gaining 1. So the logic really isn't all that weird.

The "you can't move from without simultaneously moving to" logic has been applied in other contexts as well - specifically attachments. If you have a card effect that says "take control of an attachment and move it to another eligible character," the attachment stays put if there is no other eligible character. That is because there is no time when moving the attachment that it is not attached to either the "origin card" or the "destination card." If it were, it would always be discarded as an unattached (and therefore illegal) attachment in transit.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS