WFRP is just not as fun as the "good old days"

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 CoyDK

CoyDK

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:29 PM

I have realy tryed to like the new "boad game" type of RP that is so popular today. Just like D&D 4.0 WFRP have taken up this trend.

Me and my crew have been playing "Warhammer Roleplay" ever sins the first edition. We loved it, we still do but we miss the "old" system. We have been playing alot of Rogue Trader & Deathwatch and well we dont like the 40k univers but we love the system. We gave Black Crusade a go and well agen we dont like the 40k univers but the system was exelent!

Ok time to stop blabering, I would so ever much love to see WFRP with a "Black Crusade" system instead of all thise cards, counters and cardpoard thingis that go places I dont want to say. Gives us the freedom back, give us as game masters the easy system that will allow our new and younger players to get aboard quicker!

/ Coy

#2 Doc, the Weasel

Doc, the Weasel

Pretending to be many, many things.

• Members
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

CoyDK said:

We loved it, we still do but we miss the "old" system. 

Is someone keeping you from playing it? Fun gaming is fun gaming, regardless of it being in print.

Listen to my actual play podcasts at BeggingForXP.com.

Take a look at my Talent Trees (Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion), YT-2400 deck plans for the Lazy Bantha, as well as my other handouts.

#3 CoyDK

CoyDK

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:38 PM

True, but we miss new content. Its hard as a gm to have to keep "updating" your old system and we are running in to dead ends with the rules and our house rules. It would be nice to have a new polished system a bit like the pathfinder series for D&D where they took the old system and beefed it up.

FFG make so many arwsome games, why not let us have 2 version of Warhammer Fantasy and let us the players chose. I think alot of players would enjoy the older system sins its easy to learn and easy to use as a gm + you have more freedom.

#4 New Zombie

New Zombie

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

CoyDK said:

why not let us have 2 version of Warhammer Fantasy and let us the players chose.
double the costs to produce, splitting limited resources. without an appreciable doubling of the player base. personally i find this system provides me as a GM more freedom than i've ever had in other RPGs

#5 Daedalum

Daedalum

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:45 PM

If you like the 40k system maybe v2 is a better fit for you. Surely the v3 adventure PDFs are easy enough to convert back to V2? Then you can take heart that the new TEW is written to appeal to all version players. (will still require some conversion, I imagine though).

Why fight a system when you can convert it to one set in the same world?

#6 nephtys

nephtys

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:17 PM

well, our group enjys 3rd edition alot.

we have played the dark eye firs for several years and then, kinda by accident came to WFRP. at first we were also shocked and thought it was WAY too complex and WAY too many cards.

but playing it for over a year now we really see the advantages of the system. to us, the cards are alot easier since there is no more reading in rulebooks most of the time to find out what an attack does. the advances are way easier to spend and to calculate and the gm has the opportunity to make up an encounter in under a minute if he wishes, simply by drawing a location and an enemy card and bind those into the story.

we have tried to switch back to the dark eye a few months ago because we had a campaign to finish and we found it to be so much more comlicated and we had to read back all in the rulebooks again...we decided to switch back a session later to WFRP

of course, WFRP looks more complicated at first with all it's cards and the dice, but in the end, it makes for a really great system anyone can join in in 30 minutes and know the rules, since the rest is on the cards!

#7 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:18 AM

nephtys said:

of course, WFRP looks more complicated at first with all it's cards and the dice, but in the end, it makes for a really great system anyone can join in in 30 minutes and know the rules, since the rest is on the cards!

This, yes Five Hammers out of Five.

To original poster, we all do have our own legitimate tastes and preferences.  I find it a very easy system to ad lib in, convert stuff into and enjoy the focus staying on "what's there in front of us" not "let me look that up".  Shopping for stuff is about the only time our table has to look stuff up.

#8 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:35 AM

You could just write down your abilities on a sheet of paper  :P

I have simplified some of the rule system for a convention-style character sheet:

*  Removed all "cards" except for the special actions(and even those can be written down)

The fact is though that the game system has evolved.  It has added components (fatigue, stress, stance and special action abilities).  It has moved away from a d-100 and "just talents and skills."

It's just how it is and I guarantee it's never going back to the percentile system.

jh

#9 GravitysAngel

GravitysAngel

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:49 AM

1 out of 10 for the tired old "board game" straw man.

WFRP 3rd edition is exactly the same format as almost any other RPG.  Instead of columns of numbers to track on a piece of paper, you have counters.  Instead of constantly looking up the rules for what you can do, they're printed on cards and laid out in front of you.

I think having all that information physically in front of you makes the game more visceral, not less.

Try another rant.

#10 master yoda

master yoda

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:54 PM

The number one reason why I chose 3rd edition is because everything was on cards. I hate looking things abilities, skills, talents up. Sure you can write it down....wait that's what the cards in 3rd Edition are. I used to make small cards for my gaming group. Now I don't have to waste time.

P.S. I hope the Star Wars RPG is along these lines and not the 40K stuff.

#11 Daedalum

Daedalum

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:13 PM

Wager SW will walk a middle path. Neither fully light nor dark side. Basicly big fat books like 40k with card supplements that make it play as intended. 

#12 CoyDK

CoyDK

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:04 AM

Daedalum said:

Wager SW will walk a middle path. Neither fully light nor dark side. Basicly big fat books like 40k with card supplements that make it play as intended. 

D100 system

Put in "Special Ability Cards" & Weapon Effect Cards.

Give us some loot cards & critical damage cards.

A digital aid in the form of a APP for Iphone/pad & Android for BOTH gm's and a aid for Players mabye a rule dictonary

BAM! We got ourselves a good Star Wars Game (FINALY!!!)

#13 reg

reg

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:48 AM

Nothing is as much fun as the old days, its called getting old. Now, where did I put my glasses?

#14 sloblock

sloblock

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:20 AM

New Zombie said:

CoyDK said:

personally i find this system provides me as a GM more freedom than i've ever had in other RPGs

hi there

I am a 2nd Edition GM and I having been looking at making the transition over to 3rd and your above comment caught my interest.  Can I ask how so?

cheers

#15 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

To me, as GM, the fact that things such as modifiers for snow, wind, fighing on inclines etc can all be done using fortune and misfortune dice, adding challenge dice etc., having a useful npc be invoked as an expertixse die, these allow easily reflecting a wide variety of situations.  The fatigue and stress system allows noncombatant situations to still have drama and meaningful consequences to characters.  That social, travel and combat matters as use the same basic system is useful.

My blog has a few more of my thoughts.

#16 ragnar63

ragnar63

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

GravitysAngel said:

1 out of 10 for the tired old "board game" straw man.

WFRP 3rd edition is exactly the same format as almost any other RPG.  Instead of columns of numbers to track on a piece of paper, you have counters.  Instead of constantly looking up the rules for what you can do, they're printed on cards and laid out in front of you.

I think having all that information physically in front of you makes the game more visceral, not less.

Try another rant.

As far as I can make out the original post was nowhere near a rant, just an expression of a players disappointment with the new edition. I have played and enjoyed all three editions, but that is not to say that I don't miss some of the 2nd edition. Just because somebody has tried 3rd edition and found it wanting does not make them a heretic!

Please go and troll somewhere else, like Twitter for instance.

#17 New Zombie

New Zombie

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:51 AM

sloblock said:

New Zombie said:

CoyDK said:

personally i find this system provides me as a GM more freedom than i've ever had in other RPGs

hi there

I am a 2nd Edition GM and I having been looking at making the transition over to 3rd and your above comment caught my interest.  Can I ask how so?

cheers

at its core there are very few things i need to remember as a GM.

• how the dice pool works.
  • weapon damage + statistic - toughness - armour soak.
  • 4 tokens to recharge a talent.

everything else for the most part is on a card that i don't have to worry about looking up.

but really what is most liberating is the dice pool. it covers any situation. i don't have to worry about being caught by surprise by an unexpected action a player takes, this lets me relax, confident that the dice will look after us. i never look at the rulebook during a session. there are a couple of rules that tripped me up early in the game so i made cards like the action cards in the game to cover these.

#18 GravitysAngel

GravitysAngel

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:24 PM

ragnar63 said:

As far as I can make out the original post was nowhere near a rant, just an expression of a players disappointment with the new edition. I have played and enjoyed all three editions, but that is not to say that I don't miss some of the 2nd edition. Just because somebody has tried 3rd edition and found it wanting does not make them a heretic!

I have no problem if the person didn't enjoy the game.

"It's a boardgame because it has cards and tokens" is as old a rant as the game itself is old, and it's also empty and superficial and shows someone who is not really considering either what WFRP is or what other RPGs are. 

#19 ragnar63

ragnar63

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:52 AM

GravitysAngel said:

ragnar63 said:

I have no problem if the person didn't enjoy the game.

"It's a boardgame because it has cards and tokens" is as old a rant as the game itself is old, and it's also empty and superficial and shows someone who is not really considering either what WFRP is or what other RPGs are. 

It is not a rant, it is just expressing an opinion. Please use a word in the right way or don't use it at all. If you read quite a number of the other parts of the forum, there are a number of people who don't use all the paraphenalia and just stick largely to the dice and a character sheet. I happen to know a couple of people who have tried 3rd edition for over a year , but have gone back to 2nd edition because of all the paraphenalia, which whether you like it or not, have been drawn from boardgames. And there is nothing wrong with that fact. 

#20 Slysher

Slysher

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:05 PM

The first, and most important rule of our hobby ladies and gentlemen and the thing that should always be at the focus of it all is thus: FUN

We are playing this game to have fun.  If it is not fun to us we should try something else, and be free to do so without fear of critism of other players.  For all of us are gamers, we get enough flak from idiots who belive the whole "mazes and monsters" thing. 

That being said, I like this edition and will continue to support it with my money until the rule of fun no longer applies.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS