• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#1 Larkin

Larkin

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:04 PM

The only thing I really want to see in the book:

Commisar's get +10% BS to shooting people in the back.

#2 Memorare

Memorare

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:51 PM

Super Heavies. Tons and tons of super heavies!

#3 Artanyis

Artanyis

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:05 PM

I'm hoping for squad tactics, abilities that work only with your other squad members around.  I think this can add a better group dynamic then with Space Marines.

#4 Catachan

Catachan

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:39 PM

Baneblades...

In all seriousness I'd like to play a commissar ...with a baneblade.

#5 tuco

tuco

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

Abhumans.  I want to be able to play as an Ogryn, a Ratling, or even a Gland War veteran.

#6 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

Freelance Writer/Play-Tester

• Members
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:54 PM

Catachan said:

That does sound pretty cool.

BYE

Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.

#7 Dok Martin

Dok Martin

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:53 PM

A squad of Baneblades! With Commissars in it! And a recaf machine!

#8 Leogun_91

Leogun_91

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:58 PM

Roughriders and cavalry rules (can't have one without the other).

#9 jordiver2

jordiver2

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:02 AM

someone get the Commissar ready, 'cuz I'm probably gonna get shot over this one: a completely different rules engine. I hate percentile dice. Love math, but not that much in an RPG. Gimme something like cubicle 7's LotR game, or something Cortex-y like the Marvel game, more narrative rules. Or even just WHFRP 3rd for 40K. But cheaper.

I won't have a cigarette before my execution, but I will take a swig of the Commissar's finest, if it's all the same.

#10 Bassemandrh

Bassemandrh

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:43 AM

Apologies to anyone before hand if this sounds too sceptical.

I want it to be different enough from the previous games to justify it being its own game instead of a supplement.

also deadly, very very deadly.

#11 klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:23 AM

Catachan said:

Baneblades...

It's not a Baneblade, but anyways....

http://500motivators.com/plog-content/thumbs/motivate/me/large/474-drive-me-closer-i-want-to-hit-them-with-my-sword.jpg

"To each of us falls a task. And all the Emperor requires of us Guardsmen is that we stand in line, and we die fighting. It is what we do best: we die standing."

-General Sturnn, Cadian 412th regiment

#12 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:59 AM

Dok Martin said:

British tanks, and by extension the tanks of the Imperium of the God Emperor of Mankind, are all fitted with a 'Boiling Vessel', an urn run off the vehicles electrics for the purpose of making tea.

#13 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:51 AM

To amplify, to run a tank game, I'd cast the PCs as the vehicle commanders in a tank platoon/troop.

Everyone gets their own tank. You start off with a stock Leman Russ, and generate the skills of your crew - gunner, loader, driver, sponson gunners. Tank experience can be spent on upgrading crew skills or on upgrades to your tank. Plasma guns, hunter-killer missiles, improved sights, vanquisher cannons, supercharged engines, extra armour etc. And you can purchase better tanks. Which is where the baneblades come in.

#14 Dok Martin

Dok Martin

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:04 AM

AluminiumWolf said:

Dok Martin said:

British tanks, and by extension the tanks of the Imperium of the God Emperor of Mankind, are all fitted with a 'Boiling Vessel', an urn run off the vehicles electrics for the purpose of making tea.

#15 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:41 AM

http://movieclips.co...-tea-cant-hurt/

:o)

#16 douglas9521

douglas9521

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:23 AM

First task during vehicle handovers,check BV works!Second task remove union jacks and apply saltires!All else just make up as we go along(although i'd go for checking we have right amount of AJ spanners and screwdrivers as third but thats just cynical ole me)

I salute you alumwolf for bringing up the panzers greatest asset,the holy relic that is the BV!

#17 Gaire

Gaire

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:12 AM

I'd like a Morale mechanic. I'm not exactly sure how it would work, but with the Commissar confirmed as a specialty, it just seems to fit. I'd rather it not be a rehash of the Cohesion system in Deathwatch, either. Guardsmen are much less likely (in my mind) to 'go solo' than a Space Marine, so making it a more constant mechanic would be nice.

#18 Radwraith

Radwraith

• Members
  • 897 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:37 AM

AluminiumWolf said:

To amplify, to run a tank game, I'd cast the PCs as the vehicle commanders in a tank platoon/troop.

Everyone gets their own tank. You start off with a stock Leman Russ, and generate the skills of your crew - gunner, loader, driver, sponson gunners. Tank experience can be spent on upgrading crew skills or on upgrades to your tank. Plasma guns, hunter-killer missiles, improved sights, vanquisher cannons, supercharged engines, extra armour etc. And you can purchase better tanks. Which is where the baneblades come in.

I think I would do it a little differently. If we assume a DH power level; I would make the tree of Conscript, Loader, Driver, Gunner and finally Tank commander. This is (or at least was in the 80's) the progression of stations for a US soldier serving in a Tank. Further progression would probably follow the officer path as the character controls progressively more tanks. (BTW: In the 40k fluff I've read, I believe the sponson turrets on the Leman Russ are servitor controlled.) The reason I would do it this way is that crewing a tank on the battlefield has many similarities with operating a naval warship (Although on a much smaller scale!). It is not like the fast and furious of infantry CQB. (In fact: In WW I Tanks were conceived as "Land Battleships" and were designed to reflect this. The term tank was an intelligence deception used on the shipping container to prevent the enemy from intercepting them while enroute to the front lines. The Astartes "Land Raider" is acually a Sci-fi ed version of these exact same Tanks! [For those who didn't already know that])

#19 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:06 AM

Thing is, I don't think being the loader in a tank is going to make for particularly edifying adventuring. Similarly gunner and driver.

#20 Radwraith

Radwraith

• Members
  • 897 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

AluminiumWolf said:

Thing is, I don't think being the loader in a tank is going to make for particularly edifying adventuring. Similarly gunner and driver.

Loader is something of a misleading term. He is also the radio operator, fuel manager and general spare guy. My point is that crewing a Tank in combat is very much a "Team" (And thus VERY RPG like!) undertaking. If the power lvl is indeed the same as DH it is unlikely that a bunch of lvl 1 conscripts (Or equivalent) are going to be Tank commanders! Instead each character would have their own "role". (As the crewmembers do in real life.) The TC directs the rest of the crew and is responsible for finding targets and setting target priorities. The Gunner, Not surprisingly, Positions the main turret (A move action) and gets to Aim and fire the Main weapon (Always fun!), The driver is in charge of moving the vehicle and operates any forward facing hull-mounted weapons. The loader (In addition to the tasks mentioned above) Loads the main Gun (If required) and serves as crew medic and replacement if any of the others are incapacitated. He also is probably the character that would be commanding the sponson target servitors. As the characters advance; perhaps they stay with their current crew and becom an elite tank crew who are legends on the battlefield! If not, Then you could eventually end up with a situation where your group are all TC's (Because they've earned it!0 And your original TC is the Squadron commander!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS