8 replies to this topic

#1 LETE

LETE

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:24 PM

His:

A basic question (again, not finding this in the corebook):

How many Fate Points can be used (not burned) during a Turn?

Thanks!

L

#2 borithan

borithan

• Members
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:38 PM

I am not sure if it is stated anywhere. Personally I would allow someone to use all of them in one turn if they wanted to (means they don't have them for later ).

#3 DJSunhammer

DJSunhammer

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:12 AM

I'm fairly sure you can use all of your fate points in one turn if you are so inclined, but it's a bad idea. You can't use a fate point to do a reroll that you made with a fate point though. Essentially, you can't reroll a reroll.

#4 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:04 AM

I think you can use multiple Fate for different things. Say you are injured and failed a Lore roll to identify the xenos that attacked you. You can spend a Fate to regain 1d10 Wounds, then spend a Fate to reroll the failed Lore roll and if successful, spend a Fate to add a DoS to the roll.

Never had a player spend more than one per turn though.

#5 LETE

LETE

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:44 PM

His!

My players spend 'em like the was from trees, I tells ya!

So, can you (barring the re-roll), use Fate Points to get the same benefit multiple times?  For intance, can you spend 3 Fate Points to remove 3 Fatigue Levels all at once?

I'm askin' cos certain benefits (like increasing Rank temporalily some Solo Modes, like Feat of Strength), will explode the SMs performance!

Thanks

L

#6 DJSunhammer

DJSunhammer

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:48 PM

I don't see why you couldn't. There may be a rule saying you couldn't though. You need to take into account that the power and the availability is determined by the GM. What I mean is that if you don't want your players spending FP like candy, you need to make them more difficult to get. RAW doesn't really account for this because FP are restored at the beginning of every session, but you could limit the restoration by in game time by saying a player only gets a single FP restored every month of narrative time. You could also limit FP restore to the beginning of every new mission instead of every new session. Most missions should run more than one session. This should hopefully remove FP spam as a fall back and force players into using them as they are supposed to be used.

#7 borithan

borithan

• Members
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:22 PM

I don't actually see a problem using a Fate Point to re-roll a re-roll. It means the players are burning through one of their most important resources, and if they are willing to do that the roll is probably vitally important to either their survival or moving the plot forwards (or at least they think it is).

Does it actually say anywhere that you can't use another Fate Point to re-roll a Fate Point re-roll, or is this just taking the general GW position of "no re-rolling re-rolls" and applying it generally?

#8 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:57 PM

Core p. 204re: uses of Fate: "Re-roll a failed test once. The results of the re-roll are final."

So you cannot re-roll a reroll by the RAW.

#9 XtopherSigismund

XtopherSigismund

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:52 PM

"re-rolling" a re-roll would be expressly forbidden by the rules, as it is in Warhammer 40K.  When in doubt I often refer back to the Warhammer 40,000 sixth edition rules as a point of reference.  You only ever get ONE re-roll in 40K and the result of the re-roll stands.  

Under Fate Points, directly under the header "Limits on Assistance" on page 204, the Deathwatch rulebook reads: "Re-roll a failed test once.  The results of the re-roll are final."  This means you get just ONE re-roll and can't use another Fate Point to re-roll the test if the second roll fails.  You eat the result even if it is worse than the first roll.  

As for how many fate points a character can spend in a turn, the Deathwatch core says on that same page, that spending a Fate Point is a Free Action.  On page 236 of the Deathwatch core, it explicitly states "A free action takes only a moment and requires no real effort by the character.  Free Actions may be performed in addition to any other Actions on a character's Turn, and there is no formal limit to the number of Free Actions one character can take.  The GM should use common sense to set reasonable limits on what can be done in a few seconds."  This when combined with the information about fate points tells you explicitly that there is no limit to the number of fate points a character can spend in one given turn or round of combat, but it does explicitly say no more than one re-roll per Test.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS