Some newbie questions

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Yaroste

Yaroste

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:42 AM

Hello to everyone. English is not my native language, and when i read FAQ i don't understand few things.I will be very grateful for the help with understanding the rules.

At first with Mandy Thompson ability :
FAQ says

"Mandy Thompson’s ability should read:
Once per day, after any player has rolled, Mandy may reroll 2 dice before determining if the active player was able
to defeat a task
."

It mean if any investigator roll dice pool, complete one task of the adventure card (or other word/monster), and roll dice pool again that Mandy can reroll 2 dice for better results ?

And this text from FAQ :
"Can you focus more than once during an adventure if
you’ve used the previously focused die?
-
No. A player may only focus once per turn, period.
"

It mean if you focusing once, and in other your turn use focused die, you can't focusing again in this turn. And "period", what is this ? This is "day" ?

And last point here :

"If an investigator completes an adventure and an “At
Midnight” effect enters play just as the clock advances
to midnight, does the new “At Midnight” effect occur
right away?
-
Yes. Sometimes bad things happen to good people. "

It mean investigator #1 ends his turn, move clock hand to midnight and if any "at midnight" effect there in game it starting work ? But to investigator #1 or #2, who has next turn ? Or maybe i am totally incorrect understand this rule ?

Thanks for your help.

#2 xris

xris

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:40 AM

Yaroste said:

At first with Mandy Thompson ability :
FAQ says

"Mandy Thompson’s ability should read:
Once per day, after any player has rolled, Mandy may reroll 2 dice before determining if the active player was able
to defeat a task
."

It mean if any investigator roll dice pool, complete one task of the adventure card (or other word/monster), and roll dice pool again that Mandy can reroll 2 dice for better results ?

And this text from FAQ :
"Can you focus more than once during an adventure if
you’ve used the previously focused die?
-
No. A player may only focus once per turn, period.
"

It mean if you focusing once, and in other your turn use focused die, you can't focusing again in this turn. And "period", what is this ? This is "day" ?

And last point here :

"If an investigator completes an adventure and an “At
Midnight” effect enters play just as the clock advances
to midnight, does the new “At Midnight” effect occur
right away?
-
Yes. Sometimes bad things happen to good people. "

It mean investigator #1 ends his turn, move clock hand to midnight and if any "at midnight" effect there in game it starting work ? But to investigator #1 or #2, who has next turn ? Or maybe i am totally incorrect understand this rule ?

"It mean if any investigator roll dice pool, complete one task of the adventure card (or other word/monster), and roll dice pool again that Mandy can reroll 2 dice for better results ?"

It has nothing to do with completing one task. It means that this special ability can be used in other players turns. Say I am playing Darrell Simmons and it is my turn attempting Unnatural Habitat. I roll the dice but I was unable to complete a task, worse still, say I roll a Terror result on one of the dice and therefore will suffer the Terror effect (Lose 1 Stamina). That really is bad news if I happen to be low on Stamina (say I was on 2 Stamina), if I now fail this adventure I will die.

The player who is using Mandy, now may use her special ability during my turn. This allows me to re-roll 2 of the dice. I can now re-roll the Terror result I had in the hope that I don't roll another Terror with these two dice or better yet, I manage to complete the task on the card (Peril, Peril, 3 Investigations).

Since Mandy has used her special ability, she cannot use it again until the clock next strikes Midnight (i.e. the next day)

Hope that gives you a better idea how this works.

"It mean if you focusing once, and in other your turn use focused die, you can't focusing again in this turn. And "period", what is this ? This is "day" ?"

You can only focus once per turn. If you focussed earlier in your turn and use the dice that was "held" then you are not allowed to focus again this turn.

The world "Period" is just an expression to emphasise the point. In this case is just means "No. A player may only focus once per turn, AND I REALLY, MEAN ONLY ONCE!."

"It mean investigator #1 ends his turn, move clock hand to midnight and if any "at midnight" effect there in game it starting work ? But to investigator #1 or #2, who has next turn ? Or maybe i am totally incorrect understand this rule ?"

I think you maybe are over-thinking this. It is now Investigator 2 turn as normal.

What this is trying to highlight is that if you turn over a nasty card at Midnight, such as Transported by Magic then there is nothing you can do about it. 1 Doom token will appear for every Other World Adventure card in play. Most of the time you get a chance to complete a card such as this before the next Midnight strikes but in this case it is turned over at Midnight so the Midnight effect is triggered there and then.

Hope that helps.

#3 Yaroste

Yaroste

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:47 AM

Thank you very much. Now these subjects has become more clear for me. But in Mandy's ability i was confused by this ".. if the active player was able to defeat a task.". What mean "able to defeat a task " ? Maybe investigator must have sufficient amount of dies ?

#4 xris

xris

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:12 AM

Yaroste said:

Thank you very much. Now these subjects has become more clear for me. But in Mandy's ability i was confused by this ".. if the active player was able to defeat a task.". What mean "able to defeat a task " ? Maybe investigator must have sufficient amount of dies ?

OK, I see why you are confused over this.

What it is trying to say is that Mandy's ability (re-roll 2 dice) is applied before the player decides if he wants to complete a task or he decides to fail to resolve a task.

It doens't mean that you can only use the ability if (before using it) the player was able to actually complete a task. It's part of the way you are meant to play, after rolling the dice yuo then have an oppotunity to do something before you either decide to (i) complete a task or (ii) announce you have failed to resolve a task.

It is at this point you can decide to use Clue tokens to re-roll the dice, or use Mandy's ability. It also means that you can decide to fail even if you rolled the correct dice to resolve a task (you might want to do this to Focus a die).

#5 Yaroste

Yaroste

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

Thanks again. Now i see. But still one unclear subject. Twice in FAQ we can see this :

What exactly happens when an investigator is devoured 
while battling the Ancient One?
A Doom token is added to the Ancient One’s Doom track 
as usual, and that player is eliminated from the game. 
Note, however, that the clock is still advanced during that 
player’s “turn,” even though he has been eliminated.

and here again :

If an investigator’s death awakens the Ancient One, does 
that player get a new investigator?
No. However, the clock still advances during the 
dead investigator’s “turn” during the battle with the 
Ancient One.

It means that every "day" in battle with Ancient, every turnover of clock hand, until at least one  investigator alive, every "dead" investigator must move clock hand again in his "turn" ? Or just once, in turn when investigator become devoured ?

#6 MaddockKrug

MaddockKrug

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:09 PM

Hi there.

That is an interesting question.

I would suggest to read it like this:

A player looses his investigator. This usually happens during his turn as the result of his actions - loosing in the sense of being devoured.

Since this happens in the turn of the investigator's/ player's, the turn ends as usual with rotating the clock.

As the player has lost his investigator and also is eliminated from the game (i.e. he does not get a new investigator), the player is out. Therefore there should be no more turns "at his regular position". So the clock rotation only takes place one last time at the end of the turn of the death of the player's investigator.

Am I wrong?

All the best!

Mad

For GM: Mad's Adventure, Adventure Hooks, NPCs, and Locations - same at RPGGEEK

SW, to me, is a Spaghetti Western with space ships for horses. No matter what you do it causes a problem.  You just might save the day.  Crazy heroics and adventure!

#7 Yaroste

Yaroste

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:01 AM

It looks like this. But it is written ambiguously in FAQ.

#8 xris

xris

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:30 AM

MaddockKrug said:

As the player has lost his investigator and also is eliminated from the game (i.e. he does not get a new investigator), the player is out. Therefore there should be no more turns "at his regular position". So the clock rotation only takes place one last time at the end of the turn of the death of the player's investigator.

Am I wrong?

Sorry to say you are wrong in this case. The FAQ is trying to make clear it is the opposite of what you think.

Yaroste said:

What exactly happens when an investigator is devoured 

while battling the Ancient One?
A Doom token is added to the Ancient One’s Doom track 
as usual, and that player is eliminated from the game. 
Note, however, that the clock is still advanced during that 
player’s “turn,” even though he has been eliminated.

and here again :

If an investigator’s death awakens the Ancient One, does 
that player get a new investigator?
No. However, the clock still advances during the 
dead investigator’s “turn” during the battle with the 
Ancient One.

It means that every "day" in battle with Ancient, every turnover of clock hand, until at least one  investigator alive, every "dead" investigator must move clock hand again in his "turn" ? Or just once, in turn when investigator become devoured ?

What the FAQ is trying to say is that while the investigator is out of the game and not replaced, the player is still in the game. The player still has a turn, all he does is Advance the Clock (because he has no investigator to Attack the Ancient One), but he still has his turn.

In general, the rules don't really differentiate between "the player" and "the investigator" because most of the time there isn't a difference but in this case it matters. The player is still in the game, it is just that he doesn't have an investigator anymore. Since he doesn't have an investigator he can't Attack the Ancient One, but he can (and must) still Advance the Clock.

An example.
4 Player game, Clock is on IX at the start of Player A's turn. Doom track has only one space left before the Ancient One awakens.

During his turn, Player A's investigator is devoured.
A Doom token is added to the Doom track! Ancient One awakens. Trigger any Ancient One awakens Attack (for Ithaqua and Yig only).
Player A does not get a replacement investigator but he still has to Advance the Clock.
Since it is now Midnight (XII), the player now have to resolve the Ancient One's Attack.

Ancient One now attacks all the remaining Investigators (there are only 3 now), belonging to Players B, C, and D.
Assuming the three remaining investigators survive the attack.

Player B has his turn, Attacks the Ancient One, Advances the Clock to III.

Player C has his turn, Attacks the Ancient One, Advances the Clock to VI.

Player D has his turn, Attacks the Ancient One, Advances the Clock to IX.

Player A has his turn, does nothing except Advances the Clock to XII (Midnight).

Ancient One now attacks all the remaining Investigators, belonging to Players B, C, and D.

And so on.

The example I gave also highlights the point that when the Ancient One awakens, the clock is not reset but continues from where it was. This means that the Ancient One can attack before some, or all (in the example above), of the investigators get a chance to attack the Ancient One themselves.

#9 MaddockKrug

MaddockKrug

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:00 AM

Hi there,

thank you very much. And there is no need to be sorry about revealing the flaws in my argumentation; basically I considered my suggestion as "valid enough", although I was also aware of the ambiguity of the rule- and FAQ-texts ... But now, with your argumentation I have u-turned and don't stick with this solution anymore. ;)

My suggestions based on the idea that, if a player gets "eliminated from game", he would be out of and therefore have no part in the game anymore. But looking at your (xris) quotes of the FAQ I understand that the opposite is true. The particular gamer may not interfere with the game through an investigator  anyone, because his last character was devoured; but still he holds the place in the time-scheme of the game - although far-fetched, but nevertheless: this is  comparable with the threat-marker gain of the Keeper in Mansions of Madness: when a gamer's investigators dies during the end-game and would not be entitled to reenter the game with a new investigator, still the Keeper receives a threat-marker on his turn for this particular gamer.

All the best!

Mad

For GM: Mad's Adventure, Adventure Hooks, NPCs, and Locations - same at RPGGEEK

SW, to me, is a Spaghetti Western with space ships for horses. No matter what you do it causes a problem.  You just might save the day.  Crazy heroics and adventure!

#10 Yaroste

Yaroste

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:41 AM

Understand this is not so easy, too ambiguous. But thank you both for your help, now I can play))

#11 xris

xris

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:19 AM

Yaroste said:

Understand this is not so easy, too ambiguous. But thank you both for your help, now I can play))

If you don't understand any of the answers provided, then please feel free to ask away.

A lot of people have had problems with the rules, so given that English isn't your first language it is understandable that you also have had problems. I think that now most of the main rules issues have been sorted out, even if all the questions haven't yet been answered in the FAQ :)

Hope you now enjoy the game.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS