Hero card in hand... now what?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Boris_the_Dwarf

Boris_the_Dwarf

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:42 AM

So i had an odd interaction the other night and haven't been able to figure out how to resolve it. A hero died and was placed in the discard pile. Then I reshuffled my discard pile into my deck. Then I drew the hero. Is there anyway to play a hero from the hand?

#2 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,769 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:53 AM

hey

heros are never reshuffled

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#3 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:00 AM

I still don't know why we need to put the Hero in the discard pile.  There is no functional purpose.

#4 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,769 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:07 AM

yeah i questioned that the other day, i used to just put them to the side- i assume its incase any future rulings come out to affect it

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#5 SiCK_Boy

SiCK_Boy

• Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:29 AM

It's probably for when we'll have a card that says "put a character from your discard pile into play". Although they could use a "dead" pile for heroes and have the same card state "put a character from your discard or dead pile into play".

#6 starhawk77

starhawk77

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:51 PM

Bomb said:

I still don't know why we need to put the Hero in the discard pile.  There is no functional purpose.

Sure there is: Fortune or Fate. Now, that card could certainly be worded differently to reflect a "dead" pile of just heroes, but why create several separate out-of-play piles when only one is necessary? 

#7 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

starhawk77 said:

Bomb said:

Sure there is: Fortune or Fate. Now, that card could certainly be worded differently to reflect a "dead" pile of just heroes, but why create several separate out-of-play piles when only one is necessary? 

I understand, but we know that it only targets heroes.  Fortune and Fate could easily be worded to reflect a dead hero and not a dead hero in the discard pile.  A hero card is a special and specific type of card. Putting them in a discard pile that is highly interacted with just can add confusion to new players.  There isn't a card(yet) that interacts with both Heroes and other cards in the discard pile where having a Hero dead pile separate from the discard pile can accomplish the same thing but with less confusion.  So far, Heroes are ignored completely in the discard pile except for with cards that resurrect them.

I mean, the Hero dead pile wouldn't grow that much either.  So, with rare times you interact with them, why put them into a pile where they can easily be lost in a reshuffle, or are ignored when any card interacts with the discard pile?

It's like throwing a mechanic into a room full of surgeons where 98% of the time, someone will come in for surgery... but the other 2% of the time, somehow a lawnmower or car with engine problems gets thrown in the mix.  The solution would have been to just give the mechanic a garage where cars and such get worked on specifically.  No need for him to be in the OR with surgeons!

#8 SiCK_Boy

SiCK_Boy

• Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:22 AM

Another thing they could have done is just use a different card back for hero cards. This would have emphasized the fact that they don't "mix" with other cards.

#9 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

Bomb said:

it is one of those mechanic rules that allow them to make cards to trigger form it latter., We already have the rez spirit spell. More cards and other function could trigger. There isn't much reason for it apart form just making things simpler, yet, though they have a function that they can make new cards for,

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#10 Angus Lee

Angus Lee

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

SiCK_Boy said:

Another thing they could have done is just use a different card back for hero cards. This would have emphasized the fact that they don't "mix" with other cards.

From some spoiler of the 6th pack of the Darrowdelf cycle, it seems that a card's text requires the player to shuffle a hero into the player card deck, that's why they use the same card back for hero cards and other player cards.

Once ... Always ...

My blog (in Simplified Chinese): http://blog.sina.com/b0ardgames

#11 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:54 AM

Angus Lee said:

SiCK_Boy said:

From some spoiler of the 6th pack of the Darrowdelf cycle, it seems that a card's text requires the player to shuffle a hero into the player card deck, that's why they use the same card back for hero cards and other player cards.

Can you show this to me?  I'm merely curious because I can't find it.

That's one of the reasons I presume they have you put the dead hero in the discard pile.  They just haven't created the cards that truly interact with cards in the discard pile and dead heros in the discard pile yet. 

Fortune and Fate doesn't care about the other contents of the discard pile specifically, so that can easily be reworded to support a Dead Hero pile.

Regardless, I know not to shuffle a dead hero back into the deck when I am asked to shuffle the discard pile back in.  There may even be Encounter cards that make you remove cards in the Discard pile from the game... and that could include Dead Heroes!  That type of effect would make perfect sense out of putting dead heroes in the discard pile.

#12 SiCK_Boy

SiCK_Boy

• Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

Angus: I thought the same thing about seeing that post. Thanks for pointing it out; I guess different backs are not an option.

Bomb: I don't know how to post links, but its the post under the "main" forum (not under any of the subforums). It's still on the first page. The post is about "known cards from the Stone something expansion".

#13 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

in the text editor .. press the big button with the world and the chain link on it...to use your own text,., just select the text to post a link with neat heading..

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#14 Angus Lee

Angus Lee

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

Bomb said:

Can you show this to me?  I'm merely curious because I can't find it.

You may try this link, same as the one SICK_BOY has pointed out.

Once ... Always ...

My blog (in Simplified Chinese): http://blog.sina.com/b0ardgames

#15 Thia Halmades

Thia Halmades

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:20 AM

As a point of amusement, when I went mad and bought far too many sleeves, I made it a point to purchase 2 packs of Gandalf sleeves, expressly for heroes. This means that I can't ever lose track of them, since they don't interact with anything else.

Keep Calm & Carry On

#16 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:49 AM

Ah.  The card is named "Lost and Found" and if what that person read is accurate you indeed may have to toss heroes into your deck.  That is exactly what I was hoping for when they asked us to put Heroes in the discard pile.  Now there is a functional purpose in some future cards they are releasing.

#17 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:29 AM

Bomb said:

Ah.  The card is named "Lost and Found" and if what that person read is accurate you indeed may have to toss heroes into your deck.  That is exactly what I was hoping for when they asked us to put Heroes in the discard pile.  Now there is a functional purpose in some future cards they are releasing.

I like idea of this card. Sounds really cool. Your hero is not dead, just lost. And what is more funny can be found in any moment or.....maybe not.....

Maybe he will be lost for  whole session.  Card game text say : (every player shuffle a hero.....) Sound really brutal!!!

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#18 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:33 AM

So what do you suppose happens to the resources and attachments of that character when they "get lost" in the deck? My instincts tell me that the resources would be lost and the attachments discarded, but that seems awfully harsh and really misses a key point on theme. If a hero wanders off, he would still carry all of his gear with him, and when he found the group again, he should still have his gear. If I were ruling it, I'd say that all attachments and resources remain on the table, but no cards can interact with those attachments or resource until the hero is discovered.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS