• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:06 AM

I was looking at some older files today and was playing about with Character Tokens in Strange Eons and wanted some opinions as to which was the best way to proceed with them.

The original token above is based on the 4th Edition game from Black Industries.

The updated token is based on those used in the Warhammer RPG from FFG, and is roughly the same size as the miniatures used in the Revised 4th Edition.

A test token was added to the latest build of the Talisman plug-in for Strange Eons (see the Lucky 13 thread). It should involve less cutting as there are no borders to worry about.

My latest thought (with input from others) was to simply make them the same size as Adventure cards which is a standard size, plus you could always use card sleeves.

So, my questions are -

Do people actually use the token-making capability of the plug-in?

Which version of the tokens do/would you prefer?

Is text necessary, or is it enough to have a clear image?

Thanks for any input you might share with me. There are no right or wrong answers, so please feel free to join in!

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#2 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:00 AM

Okay, I couldn't help myself!

I was just messing with the graphic and thought about another option!

This one is the same size as an Adventure card, but on its side - then you can simply print, fold in half and away you go.

#3 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:16 AM

I would prefer standard size like the Adventure Cards, but with no character text. Tokens just need images. It keeps them like miniatures then! Fold option is ok, but prefer single tokens.

Ell.

#4 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:35 PM

So in summary:

1) Same size as an Adventure Card, so they can be sleeved!
2) Image only, so its like having a miniature!
3) Rectangular card, for ease of cutting!
4) Non-rounded corners, for ease of cutting!
5) Highest resolution possible!

Elliott.

Ps. Whatever you decide Jon. However would it be possible please to do the above, so we can use them like that at Games Expo?!

#5 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:31 PM

Bearing in mind that some character artwork might have background elements, I have mocked up some examples -

...and squared-off corners for ease of cutting. People can clip them if desired.

#6 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:38 PM

Oh one other thing Jon. Can we have them without expansion icon symbols please, like in your most recent post? I hope so! I can print them all up for Games Expo then lol

Ell.

#7 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:45 PM

I am going to have a think on the best way to make text and icons optional.

#8 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:07 AM

Looks good, and it seems everyone is satisfied with the evolution. I, too, agree that expansion icons are not necessary. For myself. I usually mount on matt board for durability, since "standees" are meant to go in a stand.

1. Standees will see more wear and tear than for a card in a deck.  Yes, if homemade, one can replace a worn one, but  why bother.  A card (sleeved or not) is going to see more wear and tear in this type of use. In the old version of Talisman using such, these were the first components to be redone. And we were plastic veneering everything in those days for durability.
  2. I have also found that stands (which I use in all games in place of figurines) tend to bite into the standee (if they are any good) in holding onto the standee for a solid playing piece that can moved.
  3. I would go without the frame and have a place for text.  Sometimes the character image isn't enough in a large game or set against a colorful board for quick location and identification of all standees in play... especially for those with a background. Then again, maybe it's just my tired old eyes. It's another reason me and mine don't use the "little gray horde" since we don't have time or talent to paint them. And if the standee is to be decorated, then decorate it with something useful perhaps.

The shape could be made card size so that it could be mounted or sleeved; the ones we use are narrower so they don't fill the view of the board as much. Without the frame, any background can be full bleed; a stock background could also be offered like one on character cards for those who have the savvy to paste in a well masked figure. 

Here's an example of the type of standee we use. We tried a frame at first that was designed to match the character card template itself. It was great to look at but too much in play according to three test groups I use before releasing something. Click the image to see an enlargement in a new window.

ADDENDUM: In a SE plugin, the bottom frame for a label could be PNG overlay. To individual preference, the label layer could be turned on or off as desired. Also various "flooring" could be another layer that the player could choose when pasting in a PNG or masked figure to let a stock background show in combination. Any element seen here is available for use if so desired.

Oh, and for mounting, we've found that standard cereal box material is a great compromise between the thickness of matt board and just a card stock weight. With the right size of sleeve, you can even sleeve them, since the so-called "Euro Mini" sleeves come in two slightly different sizes.

#9 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:20 AM

I'll certainly be leaving the 4th Edition style token in the plug-in which is most in line with your example.

I think I like the idea of the bordered version though, so will go down that avenue for now.

As most things with the SE plug-in, I can never leave it be and will probably be trying other twists in the not-too-distant future!

#10 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:02 AM

Sounds fine, Jon.  Just tossing out by two bits (or a buck and a quarter).

#11 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:50 AM

To be honest, I've been looking at the tall tokens with border, and without a title they are really unbalanced visually.

I've switched again to the mini versions for the moment, with a nice bit of scrollwork for a title.

These might end up being a touch too small, but they are quite sweet!

#12 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

More fiddling...

Adventure card size with title as per those above.

#13 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:48 AM

That last one seems the best. One little thing... Try removing the white between the inner and outer border and let the fringe of the illustration show through the space... just as an experiment. It might give it a look closer to that of some of the standard card backs, such as the backgrounds that show outside the fringe of the celtic-like braid frame, while still retaining its unique design.

The scroll for the title is a nice touch, but also, will there be enough of a margin at the bottom for putting the card in a stand without scraping the graphics?

https://www.thegamec...s#keyword=stand

#14 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:59 AM

I think the bottom of the card will have enough space for an FFG or old school Talisman token holder.

I will experiment a little though...

Here's the same example extended into the border.

#15 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:05 AM

That's the best one Jon. Looks great!

Ell.

#16 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:41 PM

Ditto!  It just seems a touch... spicier.  Nice.  And if you think there's enough space for stand's clip, then don't worry about adjustments for that.

I actually think you've got it dead on now.

#17 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:11 AM

After a bit of discussion with my significant other, we came to the conclusion that token images without anything going on in the background, like the Highlander above, look a bit odd when put with those that have some background asset or the "full frame" graphics, like the Grim Reaper.

Add a nice warm coloured parchment texture and...

#18 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:01 AM

That's a nice color Jon

It looks pretty good!

It's better than the white background.

#19 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:41 AM

I would suggest slightly desaturating the texture to make the color of the figure stand out more. In at least the test shown, the figure is fading in too much. But the background does help.

Another approach is to overlay a gradient, top to bottom from white to gray at HSL 50.50.50. Then set the gradient to "color" or "saturation" and reduce the opacity to 50% or less to get a desirable level of desaturation... along with slighter lightness at the top vs standard lightness near the bottom. Once satisfied with the result using a test figure overlay, export the adjusted texture background for use in SE.

#20 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

Yes a lighter coloured parchment might help!

Ell.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS