Simple question about engagements.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dkabib

dkabib

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:51 AM

So I'm new to the game, played a few... But there's a question that I'd like to solve...

Example, the Forest Spider has an effect that when she engages the player, she gets +1 attack. Does that effect happens if I, the player, engages her first?

The same happens with the other spider which I can't remember the name right now but it gives 5 dmg to a hero when she engages me... 

So the main question is, if I choose to engage first, does the effect occurs?

#2 dkabib

dkabib

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:03 AM

Another question just showed up, easy one...

I haven't played co-op yet, just single player, but I assum that I could place an Attachment to a character of ANY player in the table, as well as using events on any player that I wish to?

#3 muemakan

muemakan

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:50 AM

dkabib said:

Another question just showed up, easy one...

I haven't played co-op yet, just single player, but I assum that I could place an Attachment to a character of ANY player in the table, as well as using events on any player that I wish to?

Yes

#4 muemakan

muemakan

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:53 AM

dkabib said:

So the main question is, if I choose to engage first, does the effect occurs?

Yes!

#5 SiCK_Boy

SiCK_Boy

• Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:27 PM

p. 16 of the Rulebook: Whether an enemy is engaged through an engagement check, through a card effect, or through a player’s choice, the end result is the same, with the enemy and the player engaging one another. In all cases, the player is considered to have engaged the enemy and the enemy is considered to have engaged the player.

So yes, Hummerhorn will deal its 5 damage, whether you engage it optionaly or it engages you because of your threat. Same with Forest Spider: it'll receive its bonus independantly of who engaged who.

p. 25 of the Rulebook: When a player plays an attachment card, he has the option of giving control of that card to another player by attaching the card to one of that player’s characters. Players always assume control of attachments that have been played on their characters. If control of that character changes, so does the control of any attachments on that character.

So yes, you can play attachment on another player's cards; if you do so, that player will fully control that attachment (different than the way Aura work in Magic: the Gathering).

Allies are always played under your own control, but certain effects can later have them change control (see Wandering Took). If that happens, both the ally and any attachments on it will change control.

Finally, for events, you must refer to the text itself. If the card refers to "you", then you cannot play it on another player.

#6 dkabib

dkabib

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:20 PM

Thanks so much for the responses!! Great community!!

#7 Thalin

Thalin

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:46 PM

I still have a question about the Forest Spider getting a +1 in attack strength even when voluntarily engaged by a player:  Why not simply have the attack strength at 3 on the card to begin with?  When would the +1 NOT apply in combat??

Thanks!

#8 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:56 PM

Thalin said:

I still have a question about the Forest Spider getting a +1 in attack strength even when voluntarily engaged by a player:  Why not simply have the attack strength at 3 on the card to begin with?  When would the +1 NOT apply in combat??

Thanks!

If the Forest Spider is not killed during the round in which they engage the player, the +1 does not count in any subsequent rounds unless it somehow has re-engaged a player.

#9 Thalin

Thalin

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:36 AM

So once the enemy is engaged, it does not have to be engaged again on subsequent rounds, and only 2 attack strength applies. 

Got it!  Thanks!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS