Idea for new board expansion

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Tom O' Bedlam

Tom O' Bedlam

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:48 PM

So after reading all the flavor text about the mighty Archmage (my name for him) who routed the Dragon Lords from the Firelands, beat down the Lord of the Pit , managed to sneak away with some of the Eagle King's precious gems and created the ultimate artefact: The Crown of Command! This guy then proceeded to rule the Land for several centuries before finally dying. But what kind of man was he? What was his reign like? Was he kindly and good or an evil, maniacal despot?

And what if he felt things were better off with him than without? That no one worthy has claimed his Crown? Think about what's happened recently: the Reaper is stalking the Land claiming souls, the Eagle King is hunting for the Crown in order to destroy it and thus destroy the Archmage's legacy, the Draconic Lords have returned, the Ice Queen is threatening to engulf the Land in an eternal winter, the Armies of Light and Dark are on the march and now there's a bloodthirsty Werewolf prowling the Realms. In short things are in Chaos. So what's a deceased Archmage to do? Why return from the grave, of course! And whether he was a nice guy in life or not, he sure isn't this time! He plans on resurrecting himself (perhaps with the help of a cult of followers), reclaiming his Crown and ruling the land of Talisman forever!!

And it's the heroes' job to stop him.

The new board is the NetherRealm (or Land of the Dead or Necropolis or whatever).  This is the Realm that the Archmage is trying to climb out of so the heroes need to go in and stop him. It could be a corner board with the entrance at the Graveyard or another overlay for the Inner Region, whichever would work better. With the theme being what it is, obviously most/all of the cards would be based around undead things and the like.

That's about all I got so far. What do you all think?

#2 Tom O' Bedlam

Tom O' Bedlam

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:54 PM

Sorry for the repeat postings!!! Was having internet issues and couldn't tell if the article was posting or not!!

#3 talismanisland

talismanisland

• Members
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:04 PM

It might make for a new replacement for the Inner Region.

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#4 Tom O' Bedlam

Tom O' Bedlam

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:03 PM

I was also thinking, as a totally different idea, that there could be an underground Necropolis board with a Graveyard entrance with the Big Bad being some kind of Lich Lord/Demi-Lich type thing.

#5 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:10 PM

That wizard has actually become a lich himself in the third edition of talisman.

It's not a bad idea, to bring him back, with a new inner region and undead cards.

It looks fun to me to see a big graveyard in the inner region

But i actually want to see the other 2 regions first

#6 Tom O' Bedlam

Tom O' Bedlam

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:55 PM

That's kinda funny, considering I never played 3rd edition. Damn, and here I thought I was coming up with something cool and sort of original.

What are the other two Regions? Is one of them the Forest?

#7 Draii

Draii

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:44 AM

To base expansions on some kind of Talisman "lore" is a nice touch. So a expansion dedicated to the "Archmage" sounds good.

A necropolis/netherworld/hades expansion have been mentioned before. What I liked with that idea was the option to let killed characters be moved to the far end of it, and have to make their way all the way up/out to get a new chance to live. A lot of classic myths that can be included here.
And if the Archmage is a end-level boss for those who want to make their way DOWN in the netherworld, all the better.

Problem is where to put it. As a corner with graveyard as entrance sounds good, but that would exclude the forest, or whatever expansion should be put there. I'm not to fond of yet a new inner region, but then again both the Reaper and Cereberus appear at the portal of power.
Since we have multiple inner regions, maybe multiple corner regions could be added too?
Village corner could be either forest, netherworld, swamp etc.
City corner could be either city, sea/island etc.

#8 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:18 AM

Tom O' Bedlam said:

That's kinda funny, considering I never played 3rd edition. Damn, and here I thought I was coming up with something cool and sort of original.

What are the other two Regions? Is one of them the Forest?

The Lich was included in the dragon tower expansion for 3th edition.

The other two regions are the Forest and the City

#9 Tom O' Bedlam

Tom O' Bedlam

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:44 PM

Could always make the entrance the Church. Sort of the old trope of having hallowed ground covering the entrance to something dark and nasty.

#10 loken14

loken14

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:25 AM

Why make it a corner space at all y not make it exactly like timescape except an undead theme

#11 Tom O' Bedlam

Tom O' Bedlam

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:01 PM

Yeah, I realized that after I posted it. None of the 2nd Edition boards had to be "connected" to the main board, so no reason this has to.

#12 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:39 AM

I think that the board will becomes too big if you add another board on the table, that is not connected to the mainboard

It's already big enough if we get all the 4 region corners..

#13 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 732 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:53 AM

Hi everyone,

This is my first time post; but I've played Talisman since the late '70s or early '80s (took some time off in the '90s, but I'm baaaacccck!)    I love this discussion of further board/other expansions and what it will do to the play, as well as logistics with the board increasing space needed.

I have been wondering myself how it may appear that if the next corner sets are like Dungeon and Highlands, they may not actually wrap all the way around the board.  That is, there may be two spots on each side that will not be included in the next board expansions.  Has anyone else noticed or thought of this?  In my mind this is potential for a number other game ideas. These areas could be smaller boards with similar terrain.  How about a desert board?  How about a swamp board? 

I also wonder if one way to deal with the increasing amount of Adventure/regular board playing cards would be to have them drawn in any of the future board expansions?  Let's say we have a City board and a Woods/Forest one.  Rather than a new deck for these new spaces, let there be "some" more Adventure cards and let those be drawn on these boards. To make the City have some special cards, you could add a new type of Gold card, something more like actual currency or 'lyra' that is used for City transactions.  A bank space could be used for this; you arrive in the City and exhange Gold, for the City's Coin of choice.  This could involve a tax (X gold = y City-Coin) to provide some leveling between characters or situations. A similar 'store' or place of business to exhange objects (maybe 1 for Magic objects too?) in the City, also.

Do most players feel that certain Adventure cards might not be realistic for the City? I suppose that is possible, but a game dynamic particular to the City might help, but... why wouldn't a revealed Dragon want to invade the City?  In fact, perhaps Dragons drawn in the City could be a much bigger problem, causing certain services or places to not be available. Maybe players in the City have to participate in Dragon Duty (like being a volunteer Fireperson) and immediately go to a space where someone is fighting a just revealed Dragon?

As I've noticed many players comments on movement between various boards - certain cards or spaces can transport people to other boards or regions, I thought of a novel 1 or two myself:   In the manner of Alternate Ending cards, perhaps there could be same sized cards for expanded encounters on certain spaces:   A card with alternate encounters for the Castle in the Middle region.  In addition to exchanging the Prince/ess for Gold and receiving healing, perhaps on your next turn you can roll a die and 1) The City Enchantress is visiting; roll the die with same or similar results.   2) King's stable hand offers to trade any horse/mule for any other that is available in Stable deck.  3) Lose a turn, but find secret passage that leads to a space in the dungeon - I prefer the Library, but could be something else. 4) Train with King's Captain or Chief Mage, lose a turn but gain 1 Strength or 1 Craft.   5) King's Quest - From the Current Dragon King's deck, draw 2 cards and encounter; if you win any battle you gain X gold {alternatively,draw cards until the frist actual Dragon is drawn; discare the rest; etc.} 6) Find a Talisman (if available) in a secret room.

Of course there could be a couple more of these; maybe 1 somewhere in the Highland, maybe another in a future board expansion (access to the River for purposes of travel between City-Highlands-Forest and main game board?)

my best to you all, Oberon

#14 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:46 AM

I think that each region should have his own type cards.

They could add some enemies too in the city, but most cards should have something to do with the city, such as markets, circus, festival, salesman, drunken soldier, beggars, gamblers etc

I rather see all retro city cards back.

The City must become a very useful place where you can buy objects for a good price.

I hope it will have a lot of new purchase cards. Then there is enough choice what you want to buy.

Potions could be made as trinkets...)they should not be so cheap)

#15 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 732 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:28 AM

I liked all the cards from the City deck from years ago (I don't remember which edition; the one with Timescape though).  Some of those cards fit in well with the regular board (a Patrol from the City that wandered around, I think?).

I'm not against its own deck (City) but I hear those who think the Adventure deck is too big, so I thought more use for other decks.

Agree that the City should mostly serve the function of commerce in all its forms.  But I like various ideas I've heard; a trapdoor or sewer that can throw you into the Dungeon board, for example.  As for enemies, while you should certainly face more City appropriate enemies, the idea of a Dragon attacking in the City and all characters in the City being forced to go help, seems appropriate to me.

In general I want more game mechanics that can (occasionally) move a character from one board to another, with trapdoors, secret passages and the like.

Oberon

#16 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:19 AM

0beron said:

Agree that the City should mostly serve the function of commerce in all its forms.  But I like various ideas I've heard; a trapdoor or sewer that can throw you into the Dungeon board, for example. 

In general I want more game mechanics that can (occasionally) move a character from one board to another, with trapdoors, secret passages and the like.

Oberon

Hi Oberon,

Well,  if you add a trapdoor for example in the city expansion, then it can become a problem if people have no dungeon board.

Unless there is a ship that can take you to the ruins. People have always the mainboard.

I don't think that FFG will add cards or board spaces in the City expansion that let you travel directly to the Highland or the Dungeon.

#17 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 732 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:13 AM

I hear what you are saying about the trapdoor, but I'm under the impression that "most" people want to have all expansion sets; certainly I do!

There are 'portal' cards in Dungeon and I think Highlands, that have the ability to transport between different boards (limited spots), so I don't know why something can't happen through the City.  I seem to recall in a previous edition that The Enchantress could teleport you to the Timescape.

So these kind of things have been done before!  But for me, if it is not portals/teleportation, than any 'secret passage', tunnel, trapdoor etc, should have the caveat that you lose at least one turn to arrive in a new board or region.  That would seem to be realistic, in terms of the time involved.

Well, no matter what they do or don't, I'm sure I'll keep playing.  Thanks for sharing, Velhart.

#18 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 732 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:51 AM

I had no idea some people were so talented they could create their own expansions, like I'm seeing in the home brew section.

Admittedly I am a purist;  I probably would prefer to play 'canon' expansions - but

I think the ideas, artwork, mechanics etc, are really interesting and make me think about my own ideas.

As I've mentioned the possible symetry vs nonsymetry issue of future corner board expansions { if the remaining corners 'mirror' the first two, there should be two spots on each long side of the board, in the middle, that are not covered with a board.  What to do?

I have an idea for one; call it Desert Lands. (so it sits on the side of the board with the desert and oasis spaces in the Middle region.

Here's how it could work. Entry is only through the Oasis space. You must land on by exact count or whatever special feature allows you to land there.  Encounter the space as normal (draw/cards; dragon scale, etc.).  On your next turn, you can move from the oasis to the entry space on this new board, which I think should be "The Bazaar".  This is your last chance to buy a water bottle! Maybe the water bottles should cost extra too! But perhaps there could be other items to purchase, from the regular purchase deck and maybe a couple of new items. But, anywhere in this region, you must have a WATER BoTTLE!

Now the board itself, being smaller than the corner ones, would probably have only room for 9 spaces in 3 rows of 3 each. Since this is a desert, with its own unique environment, perhaps you can only move 1 space at a time, like the inner region?  Caveat: If you have a guide, or some sort of compass, you can move 2 spaces.  Most of the spaces can/should be simple draw card spaces. Besides the Bazaar that you enter through, the final, 9th space should/could be something like a Sufi (or other Arabian Mystic sort?)'s cave.  I'm not sure about a Boss to battle here, but I think the idea of rolling for a ride on a flying carpet - either back to the oasis, or "other" spots, is hard to resist.

Caveats?   Maybe that Mystic at the end could also turn you into  ... a desert Toad (well at least you won't die of thirst in the desert!)

a space called the Mirage, where you could fight an illusion or something?  A desert Kingdom space, with the danger of being enslaved?

I am thinking that maybe caveats for dragons and werewolf exist. I'll riff on that later, or someone else can?

-Oberon

#19 Gumshoe_nr1

Gumshoe_nr1

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:33 AM

Ffgs version 4th revised edition is compatible with the 4th edition by using the upgrade kit. The former version had a smaller board. The FFG expansions are made to be compatible. Using the revised expansions on the old board produces NO space between them on the short side of the board. This is most likely why they are a bit "too small". Therefore it will be very unlikly that FFG would use that space and break compability.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS