• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Yipe

Yipe

• Members
  • 682 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:07 PM

Hail Cultists,

I'm holding a "Cthulhu is Calling" game day and you're invited.  Yes, you.  And you too.  Even you in the back.  Everyone is welcome regardless of experience or arcane lore.  Here are the details:

WHAT IS THIS ALL ABOUT?  From beginner to veteran, this event will serve as a warm-up to the Regional Championship on June 23rd, as well as a way to meet other CoC LCG enthusiasts, try out new strategies, ask rules questions (and hopefully have them answered), and just have fun.

WHERE?  Guardian Games (www.ggportland.com)

303 SE 3rd at Pine Street
Portland, Oregon 97214

503-238-4000

WHEN?  Saturday, April 21st

WHAT TIME?  3-6 PM

WHAT TO BRING?  Yourself, a deck to test out, domain markers, success tokens, and a set of story cards.  If you don't have a deck, own any CoC cards or any of that other stuff, not to worry.  I'll have several decks on hand for beginners to try out, so feel free to bring a friend along.  Also, depending on the participants we may be back in the bar - I've found copious amounts of beer wards off evil.  At least that's what I keep telling myself.

IS THAT IT?  IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE LIKE A COOL GIVEAWAY?

Why yes, there is...

If playing out in public is a little outside your comfort zone, I've got free stuff to tempt you!  I'll be handing out Investigator- and Mythos-themed domain cards from the black-border Arkham Edition starter deck, as well as sets of the Arkham Edition story cards.  These domain cards look great on the tabletop, and are far more thematic than simply flipping over a card.

Any questions?  Post them here.

Sincerely,

Matt

#2 piszcadz

piszcadz

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:46 PM

thanks for putting this together matt! i'm looking forward to meeting some other CoC'ers and maybe even getting something regular-like going on at GG or somewhere else in PDX.

#3 Yipe

Yipe

• Members
  • 682 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:09 PM

I'm working with Guardian Games to start up a bi-weekly CoC league night.  It will probably happen after the tournament in June, but if interest is strong enough I may be able to get things rolling sooner.

#4 Yipe

Yipe

• Members
  • 682 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:46 AM

Well, it's been a week since posting this announcement and it appears that only 1 person is attending so far.

Is anyone else interested?  Not even for free domain cards and a chance to play CoC while drinking beer at a game store?  How many times does that happen?  I mean, the stars would have to be right, or something like that...

#5 AUCodeMonkey

AUCodeMonkey

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:29 AM

I'd love to come to your event. However, Portland is soooo far away from Alabama 

#6 Yipe

Yipe

• Members
  • 682 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:27 AM

AUCodeMonkey said:

I'd love to come to your event. However, Portland is soooo far away from Alabama 

What good is being a cultist if you don't have powers over space and time?

Thanks for the words of encouragement, but I know there are CoC worshippers a bit closer to home.  Here's hoping they don their robes for a little fun 2 weekends from now.

#7 Yipe

Yipe

• Members
  • 682 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:36 PM

A surprise RSVP today from two beginners who are interested in learning the game, bringing us up to 4 total so far.  I told 'em I'm buying the first round!

Or do they have pitchers?

#8 Yipe

Yipe

• Members
  • 682 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:16 PM

piszcadz and I threw down last Friday night at Guardian Games.  For our first battle it looked like my Shub + Cthulhu "Monster Mash" deck had everything locked up, but he turned it around and came back to clinch the win in a sweeping one-turn victory.  Nice job, man!

I don't remember much about our second game because the Ninkasi Total Domination started kicking in.  Man I'm such a lightweight...

An update on the "Cthulhu is Calling" event this Saturday:  4 more players have signed on, making a total of 8.  Alright!

This should be a fun time.  If you're in the neighborhood - or even Western Washington - drop in to test out your deck for the upcoming tournament in June, or just to grab some free domain and story cards. 

And remember, if you preregister for the regional championship on June 23rd, you'll receive either 3 mini-Cthulhu domain statues or 1 large Cthulhu statue.  I was using the mini-statues on Friday and I think they impressed piszcadz (they are pretty cool-looking and handy for games on the go).  He's asked to pick up his set on Saturday.

#9 piszcadz

piszcadz

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:40 AM

yeah, the mini-chtulhus are cool, but i was mostly impressed because that'd mean more room for MORE CARDS in my box. i'm such a cardslut. c'mon out Northwesterners... rock with us!

#10 jpowers

jpowers

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:00 AM

Unfortunately I can't make it to the event on April 21, but my wife and I are definitely planning on making it to the tournament in June, provided we can get some decent decks together. We would also be interested in a league night at Guardian, schedule permitting.

Good luck today!

#11 Yipe

Yipe

• Members
  • 682 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:57 AM

jpowers said:

Unfortunately I can't make it to the event on April 21, but my wife and I are definitely planning on making it to the tournament in June, provided we can get some decent decks together. We would also be interested in a league night at Guardian, schedule permitting.

That's too bad, but perfectly understandable.  Right now I've heard from 12 people, so I'm hoping anywhere between 8-10 to show up, which is great if we get that many.

I'm glad to hear you and your wife are planning on driving down for the Regional Championship.  I wouldn't worry too much about your deck - this isn't a cutthroat Magic tournament after all.  While it will be competitive by nature, one thing I really like about CoC is the welcoming and laid-back community.  I think most players approach the game from a thematic standpoint first - we're all fans of Lovecraft and the Mythos - and a "must destroy opponent" mindset second.  I could be wrong, but that's what I've experienced so far.  Plus we'll be playing in a bar, and I think that says a lot.

Regarding a league night, it looks like we'll be playing once a month - probably right after the Asylum Pack is released each month, but that's not definite.  Is there a day/time that works best for you? If so, let me know.

#12 piszcadz

piszcadz

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:44 PM

Just got back. Our event was a great success! 9 or 10 people in attendance, beers all around, a fun, friendly, and HELPFUL bunch of people out to teach anyone who hadn't played before and help sharpen up those who had. I think the stores around Portland have had and will continue seeing CoC product selling out finally. Thanks to Yipe for putting it all together! Let's keep it rolling now!

#13 Dimzer

Dimzer

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:56 AM

Here Here!

And yes, thanks to Yipe for putting this together and flipping the bill for the first beer.  Though, he needs to buy Much Much more for my opponents, or I should offer mine as that "Might" have helped my cause.

Never had so much fun getting beat.  Had a Blast!

Cheers.

Mark

#14 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:55 PM

piszcadz said:

Just got back. Our event was a great success!

Congratulations! I'm really glad to hear it

#15 Yipe

Yipe

• Members
  • 682 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:22 AM

I'm glad everyone enjoyed the games and beer.  I was pleasantly surprised at the turnout, and honestly, if more people had shown up to play I would have been in trouble - running a demo is a lot harder than I thought!

Overall though, I'd say the day was a success.  We even hooked a new cultist - err player - to the game.  He stopped by just to watch, but we sat him down for what would turn into the day's longest, most hard-fought match.

Things on my end didn't go as smoothly as planned, but I learned several tips about what it takes to properly host such an event (exhibit A of the host's guide - pace yourself on the beer).  I'm looking forward to doing better next time.

And speaking of next time...

Let's keep this ball rolling.  I've already received emails from people wanting to set up another "Cthulhu is Calling" day before the tournament.  The tentative date is Saturday, May 5th, but that is subject to change.  The time will probably change to something a little earlier in the day (either 1-4 or 2-5).

Are you guys interested?  Does May 5th work for you?  Let me know.  When I nail all the details down, I'll put up a new thread.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS