Jump to content



Photo

more than four


  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 yosefbender

yosefbender

    Member

  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:55 AM

Anyone keeper out there played MOM with a larger group that 4 investigators???

would love to hear what you did different to handle the players?

if the game when faster or slower?

what the biggest game someone has ran ?
 



#2 Tromdial

Tromdial

    Member

  • Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:23 PM

yosefbender said:

Anyone keeper out there played MOM with a larger group that 4 investigators???

would love to hear what you did different to handle the players?

if the game when faster or slower?

what the biggest game someone has ran ?
 

The biggest game I believe was with 6 investigators. It was Blood Ties and I burned everything because some unlucky soul mis-casted Shriveling spell and added a fire token into the caverns. I have also played a couple games with 5 players. I don't gloat about it because it seems easier to kill larger groups than smaller, especially if you can place lots of tokens because balance is an issue once you cover the map with them. However, some maps may be easier than others when there is a plethora of investigators, but I seldom get the chance to see an angry mob. Most my games are 2 to 3 victims, erm, investigators-large.



#3 Julia

Julia

    I survived Avi's apocalypse

  • Members
  • 6,418 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:00 PM

Tromdial said:

The biggest game I believe was with 6 investigators. It was Blood Ties and I burned everything because some unlucky soul mis-casted Shriveling spell and added a fire token into the caverns. I have also played a couple games with 5 players. I don't gloat about it because it seems easier to kill larger groups than smaller, especially if you can place lots of tokens because balance is an issue once you cover the map with them. However, some maps may be easier than others when there is a plethora of investigators, but I seldom get the chance to see an angry mob. Most my games are 2 to 3 victims, erm, investigators-large.

That's an interesting point, Tromdial. I thought it could be so, but wasn't sure, since I've always played 4 investigator games. But most of the times I see large groups with at least one investigator "free". 3 investigator should be able to cover the whole map without leaving characters with "nothing to do" turns. Plus, this forces the Keeper to gain tokens at a slower pace, The more investigators you add (after a certain number), the more inevitable their doom seems to me. 6 investigators means 6 threats / round and this implies an impressive chance of being butchered very soon


We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#4 el Igore

el Igore

    Member

  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:05 AM

I read somewhere on the BGG forums that you should cap the thread gain at some point. Maybe 5 or maybe you should leave it at 4. Can't remember exactly.



#5 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

    the Opener of Ways

  • Members
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:21 AM

Ran an 8 players(+me as a Keeper) game once. Was a custom modded Blood Ties, with 4v4 investigators. First group was the Blood relative and his friends, trying to solve the mystery and free the mansion from the curse, and second one was the Uncle's friend and his hired brigands searching everything around for valuables and not wishing well to the Blood relative in same time. Everything went better through the game, as no story choices was picked and all depended on how players perform in the game.


That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'


#6 yosefbender

yosefbender

    Member

  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:02 PM

So it sounds like with the right preperation it can be done

 

no one said time wise if the game went longer or shorter ??



#7 Tromdial

Tromdial

    Member

  • Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:21 PM

yosefbender said:

So it sounds like with the right preperation it can be done

 

no one said time wise if the game went longer or shorter ??

It can be done. I would pick certain maps in particular though, chiefly Green-Eyed Boy and Inner Sanctum probably would work best with a large group.

Time length should be a tad longer, as you are adding more players. However, exploration is much faster and the Keeper is given 5 or more threat at a time, considerably empowering his or her odds at winning faster (supposedly); in other words, it may be as fast as playing within suggested player limit.



#8 Sadik

Sadik

    Member

  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:43 AM

We played a couple of rounds with 5 investigators and one with 6. I felt like 5 is still somehow balaced, maybe depending on the map, but it breaks pretty fast with 6 investigators (the amount of threat is ridiculous).

I think the investigators tend to spread out and thin out more when in larger groups, making it easy to single out easy targets to make your willing insane slaves. Never saw a blob of 5 investigators moving around, although that would come to mind first.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS