Thoughts on Battlefield phase resolving before Capital phase

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 WWaSP

WWaSP

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

I saw this quote in the Will of the Electors restricted thread and was going to respond there but I felt that deserved it's own.

If the Battlefield phase was played right after the Quest phase and before the Capital phase, units would have to wait a turn in order to attack.

I would LOVE to see this change!

Not only would it slow down rush decks in a balanced manner but it would give the players of ALL deck types more options to play 'high cost' (meaning greater than 1) Strategies during early game combat. As it stands currently, for the first few turns I rarely have any resources during the Battlefield phase but I DO have a hand full of dead cards. The first few turns basically come down to two options, play cards to the kingdom and potentially have enough resources next turn to save some for combat next turn OR don't play to the kingdom and risk losing those resources completely if they aren't needed in battle. The price paid for that risk is far too great early on in the game.

By resolving the Battlefield phase before the Capital phase, the player has more opportunity to play cards from hand during battle and then utilize the left overs during the Capital phase. The risk here is much more balanced imo. Although it makes strategies more viable early on, players who play that rout do so by limiting what they can play in the Capital phase. The risk is much more acceptable here because your resources are at least spent on something rather than lost completely. Whereas, if you have to save resources for potential use in combat and end up not needing them they are completely wasted.

Thoughts?

#2 Vitamin T

Vitamin T

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:42 PM

I personally like the fast paced feel of W:I.  When Bolt Thrower decks were at the top the games were very slow paced and lasted many many turns.  I did not care for this as much as the current state of W:I.

#3 gr4ffi

gr4ffi

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:03 PM

Rush decks (that are very balanced and not as strong as control imho) would not be possible anymore. Rush does utilize this suprise effect playing cheap units in battlefield and attacking with them right away. An opponent would have much more time to get rid of such low hp units. Also units that are doing an action when attacking like shades, blood dragon knight or osterknacht would not be as effective anymore. Offensive strategies as a whole would be less attractive in favour of harrassing and controlling things, which is a major problem with the game right now. This would maybe change more then you might expect namely whole meta and future card design.

#4 WWaSP

WWaSP

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:04 AM

Good points. I will think on them.

I realized after posting that I may have unintentionally come across as thinking that the rush is currently overpowered. I don't actually think that but mentioned the minor slowing to rush decks because I knew right away that it would be one of the implications of such a change. :)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS