• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 htsmithium

htsmithium

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:34 AM

perfably this one: http://www.forgeworl...MON_ENGINE.html

the question is, how do i go about it. i have several players who are playig heriticks and want to build something like this(or a drednought, or defiler,or any other crazy things)

so my question is how should i let them procede, they already have the planet from hand of corruption, and the drifting hulk( whats left of the ship) from broken chains so i think large scale production is possible, but it is the "deamon" part of deamon engine that has me a bit worried. not sure what it would take to run something like this...a few minor deamons or even a greater deamon perhaps. the other question is difficulty and quanaty, some of the fluff...i.e iron warriors makes it apper that while not the most commen weapon, these are not a once in a life time thing, while other seem to point out that it would take years just to complete the binding ritual itself. 

any thoughts would be helpful.

p.s they are tring to build up to the point that they can chalange the hollows for power and have a trade agrement with q'sal for ships and orbital defence( will see if that lasts lol) so getting the magi there to help is not an option.

ding dong mala mortuus est,

quem veteres strigam

impii strigam

ding dong impiorum strigam mortuus est.

#2 xXGhostBladeXx

xXGhostBladeXx

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:35 PM

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Daemon_Engine#.T3F_INV42So

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Heart_of_Blood#.T3GGpdV42So

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Omphalos_Daemonium#.T3GIsNV42So

I might be running into a similar situation myself as the GM for my BC group. I've recently encouraged the party's spokesman (an Iron Warriors CSM Champion) and default "leader" to try and develop his character into a full blown War Smith. He's improved his Trade: Armourer skill a few notches already, as well as taken the Armour Talent; it seemed like a natural development to have him evolve into a War Smith type of Warlord with his background and goals.

Between that PC and the party's Word Bearer Sorcerer (who's going a more utility/skill based route to conduct rituals and the like) I feel that the party themselves will be able to oversee and conduct everything involved in creating a Daemon engine for their own use. As the GM, I've already thrown out a Magos NPC (or two) from the Hollow to introduce the warring Forges to the party. The party was pretty keen to make nice with them, so after the current compact I foresee a visit to one of the two Mechanicum Forges.

While I'm kind of directing my party into a mutually beneficial alliance with one of the two, your particular party can just feel free to raid the Hollow out for the designs they'll need to construct something like an engine. I'm sure the Magos have designs like that stashed away somewhere in their Manufactorums.  Your party seems to be well ahead of the curve compared to mine on actually manufacturing one of these things; you got a few motivated Hereteks and the whole industry of their captured planet to back up their ambitions. It's a really cool idea. A Daemon Engine is almost like a War Band status symbol to me, like the group's flaunting off their swag for all the other War Bands in the Vortex to take notice. lol.

It's hard to say what "grade" of daemon you'd need to bind for something like this. Fluff wise I think it's not been touched on a whole lot, save for the references I put in up top to the Heart of Blood and the Omphalos Daemonium. Both were bound into Daemon Engines and put to use by the Iron Warriors. From the Lexicanum entries, one was stated to be a Daemon Prince. The other was a "favored avatar" of Khorne. To add into the equation, one was used to power a fortress's force field, and that the other was used to power a "War Chariot" for a War Smith. Binding a rival Warband's Daemon Prince leader into your group's personal Decimator Engine seems like a fun idea, now doesn't it? *Insert Evil Laugh Here*

#3 htsmithium

htsmithium

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:30 PM

thanks for the help

ding dong mala mortuus est,

quem veteres strigam

impii strigam

ding dong impiorum strigam mortuus est.

#4 SomVone

SomVone

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:05 PM

Mechanically I would use the daemon weapon creation tables, but make the tests much easier. After all it is much easier to bind a daemon into walking tank where it can weak havoc on the materium for centuries than bound in a sword where its only release is others using it!

Legacy of slaughter for the engine components could be interesting as well, hunting down an old dreadnought or tank to use its parts.

#5 DJSunhammer

DJSunhammer

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:50 PM

You could use bumped Dreadnought stats from Rites of Battle for the basis of the engine.

#6 Scott_0606

Scott_0606

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:55 AM

Made mine with the greater minion talent. 35-40 WS, BS, S & T. 30 or so Ag. fill the rest of the stats with whatever fits the type of daemon you want posessing it. Give it daemonic, unnatural strength and toughness, machine, auto-stabilised and size (enormous). Weapons I went for were a multilaser and a lightning claw. Swift attack, crushing blow, many levels of sound constitution, parry, and athletics on that side of things with whatever else fits your style. You can make it ridiculously durable with a high damage potential without it being game breaking.

Alternatively, using the daemon weapon rules with a bit of tweaking is great way to build a party controled engine as opposed to a personal one.

#7 Cifer

Cifer

• Members
  • 2,792 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:59 PM

Various daemon-possessed vehicles make an appearance in Only War.

#8 nethru

nethru

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:00 PM

Cifer said:

Various daemon-possessed vehicles make an appearance in Only War.

Was just about to say that.  Stats for some of them (defiler) are in Only War book.  Good stuff.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS