Caradhras clarification

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:46 AM

I need a clarification about Caradhras. It seems it is possible to explore it while it is in the staging area, as the card text explicitely only forbids to make it an active location. In my starting hand were 2x Ancestral Knowledge and 1 Snowbourn Scout. In theory I could have explores the location, but what about the end of stage 2B? Is it correct that Caradhras would be brought back into the game as an active location?

#2 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:55 AM

ive seen this asked when it came out and that was the general idea, that it comes back from your victory display

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#3 starhawk77

starhawk77

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:56 AM

leptokurt said:

I need a clarification about Caradhras. It seems it is possible to explore it while it is in the staging area, as the card text explicitely only forbids to make it an active location. In my starting hand were 2x Ancestral Knowledge and 1 Snowbourn Scout. In theory I could have explores the location, but what about the end of stage 2B? Is it correct that Caradhras would be brought back into the game as an active location?

It's not really clear, and I am unaware of any official ruling on the matter. That being said, part of the forced effect on Stage 2B reads, "Caradhras becomes the active location." It doesn't mention Caradhras being in play; the mountain just "becomes" the active location, seemingly irrespective of its current board placement. Thanks to cards like Dimrill Stair and some of the Flight From Moria quest cards, we know that the victory display is not necessarily "off-limits" to card effects (although each of those cards specifically mentions the victory display). I'm inclined to say that, since Caradhras just "becomes" the active location via the quest card effect, it will be put into play as the active location if you have previously explored it.

#4 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:29 AM

Thanks!

Just finished this game, which was made of pure awesomeness. I was engaged which a Mountain Goblin who had 1 HP left. Black Uruks and Caradhras were in the staging area. I decided to bring Miner of the Iron Hills into play so that I could defat the Goblin that round (thought about an undefended attack but Daughter of the Nimrodel wasn't in my hand at that time - too risky). Bifur and Arwen were committed to the quest, my threat was at 29. Then I drew Mountain Wargs! That would have added 2 additional threat and the Monster Hamster would have attacked me. So I played both my Ancestral Knowldege events (Snowbourn Scout had been played the round before as a meat shield against the Mountain Goblin) and explored Caradhras so the hamster stayed in the staging area (and was defeated by Gandalf's effect next round). Awesome!

At the end of stage 2B (still no second mountain in sight...) I got "Fell Voices" as encounter which forced me to put "Avalanche!" and "Frozen Cold" at the top of the encounter deck. No chance to explore Caradhras (which came back as my active location) in a single turn. If I chose "Avalanche!" as the next encounter, I would have to discard Dáin and Dwalin and every other 1 WP dwarf. If I chose "Frozen Cold" I would have to discard Dwalin or Dáin (which means Dwalin). Fortunatly I had "Shadows of the Past" in my hand and used it to bring a Mountain Goblin back at the top of the encounter deck, making "Frozen Cold" his shadow effect. Then I got Longbeard Mapmaker and with my tons of lore resources I made it over the Caradhras in a single turn. Awesome!

In 3B Dáin died despite of all my previous efforts (got "Snowstorm" as shadow effect). Right afterwards my remaining heroes found a way that led them over the Fanuidhol. Of course, in my last turn I drew another "Frozen Cold" and my fellowship had to leave Dwalin behind at the mountain top. Still, I won against all odds and it felt what?

Correct: Awesome!

#5 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:11 AM

nice game report there- redhorn really is a great quest for r-ping, can make some great epic storylines of heroism

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#6 Doom1502

Doom1502

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:30 PM

Hehe, I played something similar yesterday with Boromir sacrificing himself to kill everything (he would have died nevertheless if he'd tried defending against those) engaged with me and Eleanor freezing somewhere in the middle of the journey. But Eowyn and Arwen made it in a all or nothing race over Caradhras and Fanuidhol

#7 The_Fallen_Arises

The_Fallen_Arises

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:04 AM

That's kind of sad...I was so glad to have won Redhorn by patiently exploring Caradhras with a Northern Tracker and some other cards while it was in the staging area, specifically to avoid the nasty combo with Step 3...I guess I'll have to start it all over again :-/

I hope the official FAQ will clarify this, along with the exact status of the Victory Display. I hate winning a game, and then finding out I cheated without actually intending to...

#8 SiCK_Boy

SiCK_Boy

• Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:46 PM

Ancestral Knowledge only works on the active location. It can't be used to clear Caradhras in the staging area.

#9 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:43 PM

you can put it into the staging area.. you just need to do it though  a "quest card" card effect not the travel phase. I can not see why this is unable to be exploerd though other staging area token placement effects. I have not got this pack yet though as it is still not in stores out here.

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#10 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:32 AM

SiCK_Boy said:

Ancestral Knowledge only works on the active location. It can't be used to clear Caradhras in the staging area.

Woa, thanks for pointing this out. Makes this card only half as useful.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS