Travel Phase and multiple locations

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jctc4ever

jctc4ever

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:51 AM

The whole of the travel phase is explained on half of pg. 15 of the rules.

EXCERPT FROM PARAGRAPH 1: "The players can only travel to one location at a time."

SKIP PARAGRAPH 2

EXCERPT FROM PARAGRAPH 3: "If a location ever has as many progress tokens as it has quest points, that location is considered EXPLORED and is discarded from play."

EXCERPT FROM PARAGRAPH 4: "Players cannot travel to a new location if another location card is active; the players must explore the active location before traveling elsewhere."

My question concerns The Brown Lands and Strength of Will cards.

When you travel to The Brown Lands, its forced text puts a progress token on it, matching its 1 quest point needing to explore it. Since that happens, it automatically goes to the discard pile as EXPLORED before the end of the travel phase.

Also, Strength of Will allows a player to put to progress tokens on a location just traveled to during the actions portion of the travel phase. If you use this and finish exploring a location, it also would go to the discard pile before the end of the travel phase.

Now, the rules never say that you cannot travel to another location in the same phase if this happens, only that you cannot travel to a new location if another is ACTIVE. In either case, can you then travel to a new location before the end of the travel phase?

Thanks.

#2 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:54 AM

im pretty sure you cant do that (though i may be wrong!)....only one location can be travelled to per turn - brown lands=travelled to, so thats it

EDIT- rules state 'may travel to any one location'

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#3 starhawk77

starhawk77

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:01 AM

No, this won't work.

The key phrase is at the start of the first paragraph on p. 15:

"During the travel phase, the players may travel as a group to any one location in the staging area..." [emphasis mine]

So, you are only allowed to "travel" to one location per travel phase. Even after Brown Lands is discarded, it still counts as your single travel action for that particular travel phase. Other effects (like, say using Sneak Attack to put West Road Traveller into play) might allow you to make several different locations active during the same phase, but the rules framework only allows for a single destination.

EDIT: Ninja'd by rich. Okay, I'm retiring. Folks, rich will now answer all your rules questions 

#4 jctc4ever

jctc4ever

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:04 AM

starhawk77 said:

No, this won't work.

The key phrase is at the start of the first paragraph on p. 15:

"During the travel phase, the players may travel as a group to any one location in the staging area..." [emphasis mine]

So, you are only allowed to "travel" to one location per travel phase. Even after Brown Lands is discarded, it still counts as your single travel action for that particular travel phase. Other effects (like, say using Sneak Attack to put West Road Traveller into play) might allow you to make several different locations active during the same phase, but the rules framework only allows for a single destination.

EDIT: Ninja'd by rich. Okay, I'm retiring. Folks, rich will now answer all your rules questions 

I think you are taking the first sentence out of context by using only half the sentence.

"During the travel phase, the players may travel as a group to any one location in the staging area by moving it from the staging area and placing it alongside the current quest card, causing it to become the active location." The very next sentence reads: "The players can only travel to one location at a time."

I think the other key word in the first sentence is ANY (instead of ONLY).

So far I've played by only traveling to ONE location per round (as I figured that was the intent of the game), but I wanted to throw this out there as a possibility.

#5 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:10 AM

well my original point stands, i have played for a year and never heard anyone travel by any methods to more than 1 location per turn- im sure some of players out there who are swifter than me in coming up with clever strategies would have caught on to it if it were possible

but.....i cant find any sentance to convince you other than the one i gave, so ill be interested to see what others throw out there on this one

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#6 Anodos

Anodos

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:58 AM

"Any one" is generally construed to limit a selection to one item. If multiple are meant to be allowed, the "one" is left out. "Take any cookie you want" vs "Take any one cookie you want." If the "one" is not meant as a limiter, then it is left out altogether. Grammatically "any" opens your options to include all the available, but the "one" limits your choice to only one.

#7 starhawk77

starhawk77

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:00 PM

Yeah, if it said "travel to any location in the staging area" then I think the argument might get a bit more complicated. I see what you're getting at, jctc, but, as Anodos detailed, "any one" clearly denotes a limit in this instance. You're playing it correctly.

#8 jctc4ever

jctc4ever

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:23 PM

Rich, Anodos, Starhawk,

Thanks for your inputs. I've been playing card games since MTG hit the shelves, so I'm pretty good at most rules and mechanics (and RPGs since 1986). It was just the way it was written in this one section and then playing with those 2 cards made me think.

The rest of the rule book is pretty clear, I just would have preferred them to add "once per round" or a similar phrase instead of having to interpret the sentence.

Thanks again. Jason

#9 Anodos

Anodos

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:33 PM

Yeah, the fact that the rules aren't nearly as tight and clear as they could (should!) be is my one disappointment with the game. Hopefully they will fix this.

#10 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:46 PM

no, the brownlands getting travelled to and auto explored counts as that turns travel phase.

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#11 Ezel

Ezel

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:15 AM

Related question:

Is it possible to time/squeeze in a play of 'Strength of Will' somewhere in a travel-phase to 'The Brown Lands' for the purpose of spilling over  those extra 2 progress-tokens on the Quest-card?

#12 Anodos

Anodos

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:57 AM

"After you travel to a location, exhaust a Spirit character to place 2 progress tokens on that locaton"

Effects which place tokens on locations never spillover onto quests. So regardless of timing the answer to your question is no. 

#13 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:40 AM

what about legolas?

I would say that you cna not do this.. as it is a response, as you travel.. witch is faster speed than a event.

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#14 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:54 AM

booored said:

what about legolas?

I would say that you cna not do this.. as it is a response, as you travel.. witch is faster speed than a event.

booored is correct. 

To clear it up, any effect that specifically says "Place progress on a location." or "... on the Active location." cannot have spill over progress placed on the quest.  Any effect that says "Place progress on the current quest card." must be placed on the Active location if one exists.  In this case, spill over progress DOES get placed on the quest card.

Make sense?

#15 Anodos

Anodos

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:28 AM

I should clarify to say that any effect which *says* to put tokens on location does not spillover to quest. Legolas says to put tokens on quest. 

#16 starhawk77

starhawk77

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:36 AM

Ezel said:

Related question:

Is it possible to time/squeeze in a play of 'Strength of Will' somewhere in a travel-phase to 'The Brown Lands' for the purpose of spilling over  those extra 2 progress-tokens on the Quest-card?

No. When you travel to The Brown Lands, its forced effect triggers immediately and takes precedence over any player actions (including responses). Nate has clarified this in at least two separate instances:

(http://www.cardgamed..._4150#entry4150)

So, regardless of the spillover issue, the location's own effect will resolve first and explore The Brown Lands before you can play ANY effects.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS