Photo

Looking to buy. What can I compare it too?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jabulu

Jabulu

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:11 AM

I wanted to try descent but I noticed it is out of print and the 2nd edition isn't coming out till some time 2nd quarter 2012. I also heard if you play dnd, which my group does, then descent just feels lacking.

Then I saw this game and we all love the LoTR lore and setting and my group would go bonkers for this game. I just need to know what I should be expecting. I have Runebound and Talisman so far as board games and really haven't played any others.

I know one player plays as Sauron. Is that a fun role, or does he more or less babysit and run the game?

Is it the best with 3 players and 1 Sauron?

Is the game just random crazy like Talisman or does the combat have a nice strategy feel to it?

How long does the game usually take?

What exactly do you do in the game?

#2 The Old Man

The Old Man

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:58 AM

Jabulu said:

I wanted to try descent but I noticed it is out of print and the 2nd edition isn't coming out till some time 2nd quarter 2012. I also heard if you play dnd, which my group does, then descent just feels lacking.

Then I saw this game and we all love the LoTR lore and setting and my group would go bonkers for this game. I just need to know what I should be expecting. I have Runebound and Talisman so far as board games and really haven't played any others.

I know one player plays as Sauron. Is that a fun role, or does he more or less babysit and run the game?

Is it the best with 3 players and 1 Sauron?

Is the game just random crazy like Talisman or does the combat have a nice strategy feel to it?

How long does the game usually take?

What exactly do you do in the game?

• What's nice in this game is Sauron has his own set of rules, phases, and winning goal.  It is not simply a dungeon master position.
  • Best played with 3 players.
  • It is not random and there is plenty of room for strategy in the game.
  • 3 hours.
  • Download the rules, to hard to explain.

There is a out of nowhere end game if neither side meets their goal.  It's kind of like Arkham Horror when the Ancient One comes out.  It is generally considered a major negative in MEQ.

#3 LETE

LETE

• Members
  • 699 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

Hiyas!

Basically: This game's the closest you can get of playing a Middle-earth campaign, RPG style, within the constraints of a boardgame. 

The bets are hedged against Sauron - he will usually lose.  The more Heroes (players) the worse for him. 

The Heroes will always have a blast, even if they lose.  Sauron will sweat bullets - tension.

The Heroes' turn/gameplay & strategies are completely different than Sauron's.  It's like a combination euro-managing-style game (Sauron), vs a Talisman/hHeroquest game (the Heroes).  This seems like a recipe for d-saster, but they work magnificently well.

I've had hours of fun whilst playing this game.  I never tire of it.

Conclusion: Money well spent.

L

#4 The Old Man

The Old Man

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

LETE are you bugged by the end game which seems kind of tacked on?  Or do you enjoy that too?

#5 LETE

LETE

• Members
  • 699 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:27 PM

Hi!

I enjoy it... To me it seems reasonable that the 9 will be Sauron's last line of defense against the White Council's agents.  A nice setup for what comes next... If Sauron wins, then the War of the Ring doesn't happen.  If Sauron loses... it happens!

Hope that makes sense, Old Man!

L

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS