New player, questions about the expansions

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ilhanicus

ilhanicus

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:53 AM

I've read a couple of reviews and it seems that quite a few players only play with certain components of the expansions. In particular, it seems that people don't like using the New Caprica board. So my question is, which components do you play with in Pegasus and Exodus to have the most balanced game? I was gonna bring this to a friend's house next weekend and I don't want to sour the experience the first time with a horribly unbalanced setup.

#2 Holy Outlaw

Holy Outlaw

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:32 PM

ilhanicus,

There really isn't much of a balance problem to worry about, I don't think. It's just that some components change the game in fundamental ways. The problem with the New Caprica mini-game (let's call it what it is) is that the actual BSG game, which everyone loves, gets called early, and the result of that game is determined by who wins this other mini-game that uses some components from the BSG game plus some other things.

My advice, as far as components, would be to start with the "vanilla" game. It's a lot to learn on its own; some would say an overwhelming amount to learn. Once that takes, I'd add in everything from Pegasus minus the NC board and the cylon leaders / agendas. Realize that this tilts the scale significantly toward the humans.

Then, add in Exodus for all the new cards and characters. Sprinkle in the new modules (cylon fleet board, conflicted loyalties, Ionian Nebula destination) to taste. My group likes to use them all, but part of that is just because we've logged *so* many games prior to Exodus that there's still a honeymoon feeling to the newest stuff.

(Although it's fading. I'm about ready for the season 4 expansion anytime now.)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS