19 replies to this topic

#1 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:46 AM

sorry couldnt resist the pun

just arrived today- thought id give my beloved dain/bifur/gloin deck a shot....and won, easily...thats rare for me!!

anyways i just wanted to say how good a job FFG has done with this quest, its fun, themeatically great, and the enemies/locations have really great effects

i especially like the snow warg.....

i lost gloin to the cold near the end, but luckily i had a load of dwarf characters getting dains +1 buff, so it was ok. I also think arwen is a great help in this, usaully till now the objective cards have been a pain, and i admit i always sighed when i seen a pack came with 1, but i really like her resources draw too

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#2 SiCK_Boy

SiCK_Boy

• Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:36 AM

Got it yesterday as well and won my first try with a Miner deck. However, I'm a bit worried about the difficulty of finding those victory points in a deck where there are so little cards with them. The trolls should have been given a victory value as well...

Also, they should have thought about the possibility that Caradras would get explored via Northern Tracker before it becomes the active location. I did it and ruled that it was to come back as the active location after completing quest 2B, even if it already was in my Victory display. A specific mention that it works this way (the victory display zone isn't covered much in the rules; is it an "out of play" area or can it be affected by other cards?) would have been nice. Or, even better, a phrase on the card stating "no progress can be put on Caradras is it isn't the active location" would have made it even better.

But I agree the quest has a great feel, very thematic. Really makes you feel like you're trudging in the snow, running around in circle. It's a quest that focuses on "questing", but whereas HoEM was also in that line, the Redhorn Gate still offers plenty of challenge in the form of combat and nice treachery. Also, there's enough shadow effects that the Wargs are much easier to defeat than in quests using the Wilderlands sub-set.

#3 RGun

RGun

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:19 AM

I agree with all the comments above - really enjoyable quest and the theme shines through.  My first game was very fun as I didn't look at the quest or encounter cards before playing and it really added to the sense of adventure and a surprise around every corner.  I was sailing through it and thought I was going to finish up easily when I flipped over the last quest card and half of my adventurers died as we'd just been hit by an avalanche and everyone was committed to the quest (many with 0 willpower including poor freezing Beravor).

I'd also add that the artwork is excellent in this adventure pack - probably my favourite one so far for artwork and I've found it good in all of them so far.

#4 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:24 AM

agreed rgun....what i found a shock was that i didnt pay attention to snowstorms shadow effect and when i was adding them to the encounter deck, i was like meh....i can deal with you bring it on! then i drew it as a shadow card and went oh shi...........

#5 gatharion

gatharion

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:41 PM

I was so happy when I beat the Redhorn Gate on my first try with my Eagles deck. Unfortunately, I somehow misread the final quest stage and thought that it was only questing characters with 0 Wilpower who got discarded.

#6 Woz

Woz

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:02 PM

Not to take away from anyone's hard fought victory, but I want to point out one item that I've seen some folks miss...

When you complete stage 2, Caradhras immediately becomes the active location.  As it is still the quest phase, all questing character take -1 Will.  You then roll into stage 3 and all 0 Will characters die!.  Since you're still in the quest phase, the -1 from Caradhras means all your 1 will (and 0 of course) questors succumb to the mountain! 

Lesson here is not to quest 1 Will characters on stage 2 if you think you are going to clear it.  Of course the treachery card (Avalanche I think) that makes everyone quest can play havoc with that plan.  Two friends and I were running it and hit that treachery card, sending everyone like it or not, and clearing 2.  Legolas, Dain and a host of 1 will allies never made it off the mountain!

#7 starhawk77

starhawk77

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:48 PM

Woz said:

Of course the treachery card (Avalanche I think) that makes everyone quest can play havoc with that plan.  

Eleanoooor! But yeah, that particular scenario usually results in a pretty quick GG.

#8 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:36 AM

Woz said:

Not to take away from anyone's hard fought victory, but I want to point out one item that I've seen some folks miss...

When you complete stage 2, Caradhras immediately becomes the active location.  As it is still the quest phase, all questing character take -1 Will.  You then roll into stage 3 and all 0 Will characters die!.  Since you're still in the quest phase, the -1 from Caradhras means all your 1 will (and 0 of course) questors succumb to the mountain! 

Lesson here is not to quest 1 Will characters on stage 2 if you think you are going to clear it.  Of course the treachery card (Avalanche I think) that makes everyone quest can play havoc with that plan.  Two friends and I were running it and hit that treachery card, sending everyone like it or not, and clearing 2.  Legolas, Dain and a host of 1 will allies never made it off the mountain!

yes i have been beaten several times with this, and even on this easy win several died....but i still love this one, great fun

#9 Woz

Woz

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:38 PM

Rich,

I agree that this is an excellent scenario.  Like most of the scenarios, they do a great job of capturing the theme and translating it to meaningful game play. 

Good story on our first multi player try on it.  Two of us had already played it solo and won most games (a snow warg to start and another as the first enounter being the first loss for me).  We're running with a third guy and feeling good.  We've a ton of allies out, lots of strong attachments and some counters in hand.  We're getting a little cavalier.  I'm using resources to get my threat down under 20 so that I can say I used secrecy for Timely Aid.  All of a sudden we get some nasty treacheries that run out my counters.  Next turn we get a double snow storm on Caradhras.  Whole caravans disappear.  Glorfindel, Aragorn, Imrahil, Bifur, Dain all die along with allies as we were making a push to win it!  We scratched out a victory but by the skin of our teeth after thinking it was a walk in the park.

Solo you don't have to worry about multiple snowstorms!  I actually think this one and Into the Pit from KD are harder multi player than solo...

#10 Woz

Woz

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:38 PM

Rich,

I agree that this is an excellent scenario.  Like most of the scenarios, they do a great job of capturing the theme and translating it to meaningful game play. 

Good story on our first multi player try on it.  Two of us had already played it solo and won most games (a snow warg to start and another as the first enounter being the first loss for me).  We're running with a third guy and feeling good.  We've a ton of allies out, lots of strong attachments and some counters in hand.  We're getting a little cavalier.  I'm using resources to get my threat down under 20 so that I can say I used secrecy for Timely Aid.  All of a sudden we get some nasty treacheries that run out my counters.  Next turn we get a double snow storm on Caradhras.  Whole caravans disappear.  Glorfindel, Aragorn, Imrahil, Bifur, Dain all die along with allies as we were making a push to win it!  We scratched out a victory but by the skin of our teeth after thinking it was a walk in the park.

Solo you don't have to worry about multiple snowstorms!  I actually think this one and Into the Pit from KD are harder multi player than solo...

#11 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:34 PM

ha! thats exactly why i love it...it can be (like the passes) absolutely brutal!

#12 gatharion

gatharion

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:48 AM

A great quest, and difficult too, but I've definitely found it easier than other quests of a comparable difficulty. Heck, I haven't managed to beat Road to Rivendell yet and that one is "easier".

#13 Greg M

Greg M

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:53 AM

Woz said:

We have played it twice with 3 players and where absolutely owned.  It was bloody and brutal!  We didn't peek at the quest cards or any encounter cards so the Snowstorms crushed us and the 3rd card of the quest killed so many allies and a hero or two.  On our 2nd time through we didn't even make it past the 2nd quest card.  I suspect playing solo would be easier as well. 

Absolutely a great quest with a great theme!

#14 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 2,067 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:54 AM

I love this quest. Is very good thematic and very hard as well.

My best deck name: Hobbits rush(Glorifindel, Bilbo ,Frodo) never lose against this one but many times is close to fall. I make my record scores 105 and i dont think i can make better. Solo game now is really cool. I still win mostly but now is much harder.

Actually this quest suppose to be more hard with 2 or 3 players cose then you will face all nasty encounter cards combo which one you cannot face when you play solo.

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#15 juicebox

juicebox

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

Just had my first play through on this scenario and had to chime in...

For so many of the reasons many of you have already listed, I found this quest to be VERY enjoyable.

Well done FFG!!! Now I'm looking forward to building a deck with mountaineering in mind.

(I'm thinking Dúenedain Quest may finally make a meaningful appearance.)

Also, Happy Birthday Glaurung!

#16 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,292 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:11 AM

I've started my rotation of RHG this week and so far, not liking the quest at all TBH. Three of the four games have taken an hour, with only one quick loss. Even those games where I won, it wasn't "yes, I won", it was very much "ugh, thankfully it's over". It just drags and drags. It's also weird that most of KD Enemies are weaker in attack (not counting undefended) than RHG Enemies, even the weakest, Mountain Goblin rarely attacks for less than 3. I play LotR for the 15-30 minute playtime that I think most of the previous quests all fall under. I'll play through the remaining six plays that are left, but really wish the quest didn't take forever. Of course, RtR doesn't seem to be any shorter, at least looking at the progress requirements for each stage.

Interesting note that I've been thinking about. Carrock and RHG look initially similar, each has cards set aside and a location that can't really be affected in the staging area. What I think really hurts Carrock, despite being a supposed DL7, is that after Carrock, nothing more hits the staging area before the first quest phase, whereas  in RHG you have Caradhras + X cards revealed, resulting in quite possibly 10 threat in the staging area just after flipping over to 1B (2-deck/player).

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#17 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:18 PM

I love this quest as it delivers a challenge in both questing and fighting. It did easily overcome JdtA and ItP as my favourite quest. I enjoy treacheries like Freezing Cold that can crush your fellowship, but to which the game offers you different options to deal with them. That's why I hate Sleeping Sentry.

#18 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:16 PM

Woz said:

Not to take away from anyone's hard fought victory, but I want to point out one item that I've seen some folks miss…

Sorry to ressurect an ancient thread -- I had a relevant question, though.

This effect wiped us out just now.  We were so close, too!  So, here's the question: how does the timing work  here?

1)Calculate quest progress (quest resolution)

2) Place tokens on 2B.

3) Upon placing 11th token, Caradhras becomes the active location.  Questing characters are now -1 WP. (and by the way -- progress tokens past the 11th are lost?  Or placed on Caradhras?)

4) Flip to 3B

5) Discard all 0 WP characters

6) Advance to Travel phase

Is that right?  Just want to get this straight.  Part of me wants to think that, once quest resolution is complete, you are not in the Questing phase any longer, but I suppose the above timing is more accurate.  You're kind of in "quest phase limbo" until you finish following instructions on the new quest card. There is a similar effect with Thalin in Journey Along the Anduin -- if Thalin was questing when you flipped to 3B as a result of quest resolution, Thalin CAN damage subsequently revealed enemies because he is still technically questing, correct? 

#19 Angus Lee

Angus Lee

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

GrandSpleen said:

Sorry to ressurect an ancient thread -- I had a relevant question, though.

This effect wiped us out just now.  We were so close, too!  So, here's the question: how does the timing work  here?

1)Calculate quest progress (quest resolution)

2) Place tokens on 2B.

3) Upon placing 11th token, Caradhras becomes the active location.  Questing characters are now -1 WP. (and by the way -- progress tokens past the 11th are lost?  Or placed on Caradhras?)

4) Flip to 3B

5) Discard all 0 WP characters

6) Advance to Travel phase

Is that right?  Just want to get this straight.  Part of me wants to think that, once quest resolution is complete, you are not in the Questing phase any longer, but I suppose the above timing is more accurate.  You're kind of in "quest phase limbo" until you finish following instructions on the new quest card. There is a similar effect with Thalin in Journey Along the Anduin -- if Thalin was questing when you flipped to 3B as a result of quest resolution, Thalin CAN damage subsequently revealed enemies because he is still technically questing, correct? 

Yes, your timing sequence above is correct; and I am not sure about the answer to your question in point 3.  I have been ruling that since Progress Tokens are not carried to the next quest stage, the extra tokens are lost.  But now that you raised this point, I see that since the quest card does not change yet when the 11th token is placed and Caradhras becomes the active location, the extra Progress Tokens can be placed on Caradhras.

Once ... Always ...

My blog (in Simplified Chinese): http://blog.sina.com/b0ardgames

#20 muemakan

muemakan

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:03 PM

No, you place tokens on the active location first and then on the quest card. You can get rid of the new active location in the next quest phase.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS