Nekro Virus Ability Question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 archorn

archorn

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:55 AM

Hi, I have a question about the nekro virus second ability.

"When you destroy at least 1 enemy unit in a Space Batlle or Invasion Combat (excluding PDS fire), you may copy (recieve) 1 free Technology Card (ignoring all prerequisites) that the enemy player has reserched. Limit once per battle."

Is the technology copied random or can I choose what technology to copy?

#2 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:00 PM

I don't own the expansion yet, but the text you quoted doesn't say anything about picking randomly.  Why impose a rule that doesn't exist?

#3 archorn

archorn

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:34 PM

My friends where claiming that it didn't say that i could choose (and they considered the nekro virus to be too good if i got to choose)

#4 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:23 PM

archorn said:

My friends where claiming that it didn't say that i could choose (and they considered the nekro virus to be too good if i got to choose)

I'm all too familiar with friends who think things like that as long as they aren't playing the race in question. The Nekro virus does have a very powerful advantage in their ability to copy technology, but they also have a very serious weakness in their inability to participate in the political side of the game.  They also can't get technology by any other means; they just get CCs instead.

Hopefully someone else around here can give you a more definitive answer than mine, but I would be inclined to say the race should be played a few times before people start deciding what is or isn't "too good."  Until then, if they can't produce a rule that says it's drawn randomly, I don't think it should be drawn randomly.

After all, drawing randomly would require you to pull out ALL the technology cards from your deck that your opponent has and you don't, shuffle them up and draw one.  That's a pretty involved process to not be mentioned anywhere in the rules, at least in passing.

#5 Fnoffen

Fnoffen

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:03 PM

Steve-O said:

archorn said:

I'm all too familiar with friends who think things like that as long as they aren't playing the race in question. The Nekro virus does have a very powerful advantage in their ability to copy technology, but they also have a very serious weakness in their inability to participate in the political side of the game.  They also can't get technology by any other means; they just get CCs instead.

Hopefully someone else around here can give you a more definitive answer than mine, but I would be inclined to say the race should be played a few times before people start deciding what is or isn't "too good."  Until then, if they can't produce a rule that says it's drawn randomly, I don't think it should be drawn randomly.

After all, drawing randomly would require you to pull out ALL the technology cards from your deck that your opponent has and you don't, shuffle them up and draw one.  That's a pretty involved process to not be mentioned anywhere in the rules, at least in passing.

+1

After all, to copy something you would need to see the original, right?

Pax Magnifica Bellum Gloriosum

#6 BigKahuna

BigKahuna

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:38 PM

Well I think their argument is a bit faulty since the wording on the Technology strategy card is exactly the same.

Well Technology I says "You may recieve one technology card advance (for which you have the pre-requisite)."

Technology II says roughly the same.

I don't see anything in their that specifies that you get to choose which technology you get, so if the Nekro Virus get a random one using the exact same terminology than shouldn't this be the same with the technology card?

Its a silly argument, if the mechanics intention was to be random it would have been spelled out that way.  In fact to knowledge their isn't a single card, mechanic or otherwise in the entire game in which you ever recieve technologies randomly.  It simply doesn't exist in the game at all. 

#7 archorn

archorn

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:08 AM

Thanks for the help^^

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS