Passage Through Mirkwood question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 helmsdeep88

helmsdeep88

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:41 AM

I'm fairly new at this game and still trying to figure out the nuances of the rules.

In Passage Through Mirkwood, when you get to the last quest card (3A/B), you pick one of the two at random.  If you get "Don't Leave the Path" you have to find Ungoliant's Spawn and put it in the staging area, and then kill it to win.  That I understand quite well.

But what if you've already killed Ungoliant's Spawn earlier in the game?  Do you still have to fight it again? Or do you just win?

Thanks for the help!

#2 richsabre

richsabre

the REAL Gandalf.....

• Members
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:54 AM

sorry....you have to go again :(

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#3 helmsdeep88

helmsdeep88

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:47 PM

That's what I thought.

Bummer. :(

Thanks for the help :)

#4 cuber3

cuber3

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:42 PM

I played this quest around 4 times so far and every time I got lucky and drew the other path. I haven't even gotten Ungoliant's Spawn at random off the encounter deck or nothing. Last time I played it I was actually disappointed I didn't get to fight it, haha. Best of luck with killing him twice though

#5 helmsdeep88

helmsdeep88

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:38 AM

You are lucky Cuber. It seems EVERY time I play this scenario I get "Don't Leave the Path." I've had the game about a month now and have only got the good path two or three times :P totally wish Ungoliant's Spawn was worth some Victory Point for as often as I've had to deal with it.

#6 Vase

Vase

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

richsabre said:

sorry….you have to go again :(

Hello, can someone please clarify why it is necessary to kill Ungoliant's Spawn a second time?  Is there an errata that addresses this?

The card says, "The players must find and defeat Ungoliant's Spawn to win this game."  Well, if it's already been done, why do it again?  Why can't I just pull Forest Spider as my spider card of choice and then say I've won?

Not trolling or anything; just want to understand why.  Possibly I am misinterpreting a rule or the card..?  Thanks!

#7 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,272 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:40 PM

Unless a card is a VP card, there is no memory that you have killed it. In Conflict at the Carrock, you face 4 Unique Trolls at the end and if you kill them, they go to the discard pile (since they aren't worth VP). Since the quest requires that no Trolls can be in play in order to win, it is possible to kill the Unique Trolls, have the encounter deck run out, reshuffle and get them back into play, forcing you to kill them again. Same for the Nazgul in Dol Guldur and WK in Osgiliath.

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#8 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:58 PM

Like Dam said, there is no "memory."  There is only the discard pile, the victory display, and the encounter deck, and so forth.  Defeating a monster can fulfill a condition in order to flip a Quest card, but you don't keep track of defeats anywhere.

Think of it this way: if the quest card said, "The players must complete one turn in order to finish the game," you would go ahead and complete the next turn, right?  Even though you've already completed several turns previously.  It is a condition that must be fulfilled after it has been revealed.

#9 Vase

Vase

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:36 PM

Much thanks to Dam and GrandSpleen.  It makes sense when you explain it that way.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS