Marks of terminator armor

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Gamibash

Gamibash

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:59 PM

Well all know that power armor has many different variants whether your wearing the old 'Iron' suits or the mk7 aquila armor each one has a feel of oldness or newness and is reflected in it's stats. Now I know that there is a OLD version of terminator armor called Cataphract and was wondering if anyone had any homebrew versions of older or newer versions of terminator armor because I for one have trouble thinking that there has only ever been one version of tactical dread armor.

Also does anyone have homebrew info on BT champion armor along with that bloody sword of theirs?

#2 Thebigjul

Thebigjul

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:24 AM

The cataphract armour is the pre-heresy variant of the terminator armor.

It is the result of martian experiment from an outerspace mining exploration suit made in combat armor.

It is quite the same than the newest terminator armorn but from memory does not have the field effect.

Not made in great number and for a little time they have never been an important asset for the astartes weaponnery.

Maybe stronger and heavyer than the new terminator armor (+1 armor front, maybe less in the back and +40 strenght).

#3 Nathiel

Nathiel

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:20 AM

http://www.tearsofenvy.com/termi-nation/armour_home.htm

This has quite a few different versions of TDA from a variety of sources within the evolution of the 40k line.

#4 Gamibash

Gamibash

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:34 AM

Thanks for the link on the terminator variants/progression... Now to homebrew some rules for all those beasties.

#5 Lightbringer

Lightbringer

• Members
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:28 PM

You might want to check out the new Tartaros pattern Terminator armour, which is a bit more interesting than the standard Indomitus pattern...

#6 Lightbringer

Lightbringer

• Members
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:53 PM

What's interesting is that the new armour is expressly stated to share "many systems with the MkIV ‘Maximus’ pattern of power armour, and provides greater mobility for its wearer than the Indomitus pattern with no loss in durability or protection"

Linking this new terminator armour tyo a specific mark of standard power armour is food for thought. The Forge World article expressly states that "several types and patterns were developed concurrently." 

Perhaps specific patterns of Terminator armour were developed concurrently with standard marks of astartes armour? That's a leap on my part, but it seems logical. So:-

Mark 1: No Terminator equivalent, pre Great Crusade

Mark 2: No named equivalent, perhaps this armour

Mark 3: No named equivalent, , perhaps the other early metal GW terminator, (which I can't find an image of, D'oh) 

Mark 4: Tartaros pattern

Mark 5:perhaps the "Heresy era" terminator armour with the large shoulder pads

Mark 6 onwards: Indomitus pattern

That's only a theory of course...  Forge World would prbably argue that it's too restrictive and precludes interesting Terminator armour variants like this or this...  

#7 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:21 AM

Very interesting thread I must say. Unfortunately I know to little about this to be of much use but I'll keep my eyes open for what might pop up here.

#8 Gaire

Gaire

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:00 AM

Hm, rules for the Tartaros... same armor rating, use Mk.8's rule for head shots hitting the chest, and reduce mobility penalties. Maybe drop them down to normal Termie armor dexterity penalty and return the ability to run? I'd probably charge an extra 10 or 20 requisition for it, though.

#9 Lightbringer

Lightbringer

• Members
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:30 PM

Gaire said:

Hm, rules for the Tartaros... same armor rating, use Mk.8's rule for head shots hitting the chest, and reduce mobility penalties. Maybe drop them down to normal Termie armor dexterity penalty and return the ability to run? I'd probably charge an extra 10 or 20 requisition for it, though.

I like the same armour rating and the Mk 8 chest/head rule. And I agree that some sort of movement penalty reduction seems appropriate, given the write-up. But I'd hesitate to make the Tartaros much better than Indomitus. OK, the TT system lacks the depth and layers of nuance of the RPG, but the two armours are meant to be functionally identical on the tabletop. Allowing the  wearer to run makes it functionally streets ahead of the existing Indomitus armour, which I don't think is necessarily intended.

I think you'd need to make it better in some ways (better dexterity penalties, lighter) and balance it out by making it worse in others.(Harder to repair, perhaps? Not inherently weaker, but more sophisticated and therefore requiring more downtime and maintenance? Rarer parts? Requires a higher set of skill checks to maintain?) 

Increasing requisition cost is a good balancing idea, but personally I'd make the two armours similar in terms of combat efficacy with a different set of drawbacks and then only hike the Tartaros' req rating by 5 or so. This way the two armours are about as good as each other, but if a player wants the rarer armour, he has to have the necessary kudos to justify releasing it to him.  

#10 Neo_Crimson

Neo_Crimson

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:39 PM

For Tartaros Armor, I'd say to keep the inability to dodge, but reduce the agility penalty to -10, and allow running.

As for cost, I would think that they were in the same boat as MK.III armor and below in that they aren't made anymore and haven't been for a long time. Each set of armor is an incredibly rare piece if Archaeo-tech that even the Inquisition has trouble getting their hands on. Therefore they CAN'T be requisitioned under any circumstances, and players can only acquire them via roleplaying and/or GM handouts.

#11 DJSunhammer

DJSunhammer

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:55 PM

Lightbringer said:

That's only a theory of course...  Forge World would prbably argue that it's too restrictive and precludes interesting Terminator armour variants like this or this...  

Tyberos is wearing Indomitus armor modified to look like MK V power armor, mostly through the helmet and studded shoulder and shin plates. The biggest indicator is that the back of his armor is exactly identical to Indomitus armor.

Compare: javascript:void(0);/*1333162660804*/ to normal terminator armor.

Asterion Moloc wears Tartarus armor, again modified, but in the vein of Calgar's decorated Indomitus armor. Two indicators. Again the back of his armor is identical to the Tartarus pattern, and the helm socket and shoulder pads are also [mostly] identical.

Compare: javascript:void(0);/*1333162595865*/ 

javascript:void(0);/*1333162628161*/

#12 Arkanoth

Arkanoth

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

Hello all:

This is what I came up with:

The Tartaros Pattern Terminator armour have mostly been issued to veterans of the first company and higher-ranking officers. The Tartaros Pattern Terminator armour follows the same rules as the normal Indomitus pattern Terminator Armor, apart from the following exceptions:

A Tartaros Pattern Terminator cannot Run, and the wearer suffers -10 to Agility, and cannot Dodge (but may still Parry).

Weapon mounting remains the same as Indomitus pattern Terminator Armor.

Since this suit is a holy relic from the days of the Great Crusade, it may not be purchased or requested; these precious suits of armor may only be bequeathed at the Watch Captain's option and the Battle-Brother must then spend a minimum of 40 Requisition Points to arm it. Its weapons must come from the Terminator Compatible Weapons list on page 164 of the Deathwatch Core Rulebook and from any Terminator Compatible Weapons list in future Deathwatch supplements.

The Tartaros pattern Terminator armor features a high collar, or gorget, that gives enhanced protection to the neck and head. Every time an attack hits the wearer's head, roll a d10. On a result of 8, 9 or 10, the attack counts as hitting the body instead.

A Space Marine who wears an ancient suit of Tartaros Pattern Terminator armour commands the respect of his Battle-Brothers. The wearer gains a +15 Fellowship bonus in any dealings with other Space Marines.

Name                                                       Locations Covered        AP        Kg        Req          Renown
Tartaros Pattern Terminator Armor    All                                      14         350      Special    Famed

Let me know what you think.

#13 Lucien Kallus

Lucien Kallus

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:59 PM

From Forgewoeld site:

"Of these, the Indomitus pattern is perhaps the most widespread, due to its template being held on key Forge Worlds such as Mars, although Tartaros Pattern Terminator armour is also issued to the Veterans of a Chapter’s 1st Company. Perhaps the most advanced form of Tactical Dreadnought Armour, the Tartaros pattern shares many systems with the MkIV ‘Maximus’ pattern of power armour, and provides greater mobility for its wearer than the Indomitus pattern with no loss in durability or protection"

#14 Zappiel

Zappiel

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:55 AM

ahhh...but what are the Table top stats for it?  the same as Indomitus?  or does it have faster movement?

#15 Arkanoth

Arkanoth

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:08 PM

The stat are the same for the Indomitus pattern armor, but the have a -10 Agility penalty instead of -20. They also cannot be requisitioned, but given as a reward by the GM/Watch Captain for meritorious service.

#16 Arkanoth

Arkanoth

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:09 PM

Also note the rules for hit allocation.

#17 Arkanoth

Arkanoth

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:12 PM

I agree to the -10 penalty to Agility, but I believe that Marines in Terminator armor should not Run.

#18 DJSunhammer

DJSunhammer

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:55 AM

Zappiel said:

ahhh...but what are the Table top stats for it?  the same as Indomitus?  or does it have faster movement?

It's the same 2+5++ saves as Indomitus armor.

#19 Zappiel

Zappiel

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:18 AM

thank you fine gentlemen!  so, to recap, in tabletop warhammer 40k, the new terminator armour has the same rules, but with a lessened ag penalty...good to know!

#20 Alpha Chaos 13

Alpha Chaos 13

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:11 AM

Lightbringer said:

What's interesting is that the new armour is expressly stated to share "many systems with the MkIV ‘Maximus’ pattern of power armour, and provides greater mobility for its wearer than the Indomitus pattern with no loss in durability or protection"

Linking this new terminator armour tyo a specific mark of standard power armour is food for thought. The Forge World article expressly states that "several types and patterns were developed concurrently." 

Perhaps specific patterns of Terminator armour were developed concurrently with standard marks of astartes armour? That's a leap on my part, but it seems logical. So:-

Mark 1: No Terminator equivalent, pre Great Crusade

Mark 2: No named equivalent, perhaps this armour

Mark 3: No named equivalent, , perhaps the other early metal GW terminator, (which I can't find an image of, D'oh) 

Mark 4: Tartaros pattern

Mark 5:perhaps the "Heresy era" terminator armour with the large shoulder pads

Mark 6 onwards: Indomitus pattern

Based purely on my recollection there were four Marks of Terminator armor, with the "normal" Terminator being the Mark 4. The Mark 1 was the image you posted as the Mark 2. The Mark 2 (which is in my collection) had a weird turtle-shell look & the first (that I know of) forearm-mounted storm bolter. The Mark 3 (which I also own) was very similar to the Mark 4. It just had some stylistic differences, but would blend in pretty well alongside some Mark 4s.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS