• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Keyansark

Keyansark

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:25 PM

Hi all:

I have started painting my Core Set miniatures and I will updating this topic as I finish new units.

I've started with the Death Dealers, as I have a very clear color scheme in my mind. In addition, I see them as the "allied tactical squad", so I wanted to have them ready first.

Here is a family picture:

I wanted them to look like real WW2 ranges (more or less) so I have used Vallejo Desert Yellow for the jackets, with a Leather Brown wash and then highlights in Desert Yellow and Desert Yellow + white. This can be better seen here:

Backpacks are painted in khaki, with a Vallejo Burnt Umber wash. Trousers are painted in Beast Brown with a Brown Ink wash, and boots and gloves are in Dark Flesh with a Devlan Mud wash, and then a Brown Ink wash.

Body armor is painted in the iconic Olive Drab, highlighted with Vallejo Russian Uniform, a wash of Black Ink and then another wash of Devlan Mud.

Bases and weapons are Boltgun Metal over a Black base, then washed with a 1:1 mix of Brown and Black inks. A little highlighting with Boltgun Metal, and then I added rubble and details on the bases painted in German Grey, and Neutral Grey, with some Orange added to resemble brick dust.

In some faces I did a little wash with German Grey to simulate unshaved beards and add some character.

Finally, I painted the bazooka in Olive Drab and did two washes. First: black, followed by some lights with Russian Uniform. Then, a Devlan Mud wash. I finished adding some chipping with German Grey.

Hope you like it!

#2 KiltedWolf

KiltedWolf

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:12 PM

Utterly amazing! I love the color choices, and hope you don't mind if I borrow them for mine -- very striking!

Cheers!

#3 Keyansark

Keyansark

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:07 AM

Sure, go ahead! :)

I am finishing my Sturmpionieren right now, I hope to post additional pics during the weekend.

#4 Cy-baer

Cy-baer

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:58 AM

Hmmm, where did i see this color scheme before?

;)

#5 Zjb12

Zjb12

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:23 AM

Wow!  Very good!

#6 Keyansark

Keyansark

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:08 AM

Hi again:

During the week I have painted a unit of Sturmpionieren, armed with Stg 47s, three panzerfausts and a flammenwerfer. I have used a "summer camo" scheme for the uniforms, with Grey for the armour parts.

The uniform is painted in German Uniform from Vallejo Model, washed with German Grey. Camo is Beasty Brown with additional dots in German Uniform.

Armour parts are painted in German Grey highlighted in Neutral Grey. I added carefully some Dark Flesh very thinned in the recessed parts so simulate dirt.

This can be better seen here. Gasmasks are painted in Leather Brown with a Brown Ink wask. The glass is painted with Sick Green and Camo Green.

Panzerfausts are painted in Dark Sand from Vallejo Model, with some Burnt Umber for the details.

Finally, some detail on the flammenwerfer

And the fuel canister

#7 Keyansark

Keyansark

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:24 PM

Now it is the turno for Sgt. "Rhino", the Allied Hero from the Core Set

Main colour is Olvide Drab with some highlights, and a couple of washes in black and devlan mud. Some chipping was added at the end.

#8 Keyansark

Keyansark

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:25 AM

Now it is the turn of Feldwebel Lara Walter...

For the armour I've used a base layer of Vallejo Model German Uniform, washed with German Grey. I built up the Green again and did some highlights with German Uniform + White, to finish with a wash of Devlan Mud.

To add some contrast, I painted the inner clothing in German Grey washed in black, and the cabling in Red

I added some chipping to the armour using German Grey and Boltgun Metal

Detail on the face...

And the hair...

#9 Keyansark

Keyansark

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

Now it's the turn of the Axis Heavy Laser Grenadiers, painted in plain black with death masks...

#10 LotusPwn3r

LotusPwn3r

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:09 AM

Seems like everybody has a completely different take on what Lara should look like, but IMO that is the best-looking one I've seen so far.

Hope you don't mind if I ***ahem*** borrow that paint scheme. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, after all...

#11 marcemtp

marcemtp

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:51 PM

Everything looks awesome. I wish I could paint that good.

#12 Keyansark

Keyansark

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:34 PM

Thx a lot for the compliments. My Lara is not too different from the official one. I used their example and my only change was to use Vallejo German Uniform as base color.

Of course, borrow what you want. When we publish our works we like to inspire others... :)

#13 Pooflinger76

Pooflinger76

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:27 AM

I love these! great weathering and battle damage. Scary looking laser troops are awesome but my favorites are the recon grenadiers!

how about some walkers soon?

#14 Keyansark

Keyansark

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:33 PM

Yes, walkers are in my "To Do" list, but I need to get my hands on an airbrush... I don't want to paint them with brushes as I want a more realistic look for them...

#15 Keyansark

Keyansark

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:52 PM

Now it's the turn to The Hammers. I have used a lighter shade of green for the armour, namely Vallejo Soviet Uniform; which gives a nice army green that contrast a lot with the darker armour of "Rhino".

For the details I have used Vomit Brown as base colour, highlighted to Golden Yellow and some chipping added

#16 golem101

golem101

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:21 PM

Great job with the chipping effect, how did you manage to do that? Did you use the sponge technique, freehand fine detail brush, or something else?

#17 Keyansark

Keyansark

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:00 PM

First, sponge with German Grey. I take out the excess paint and then I apply it with care. After that, a second, more careful go with Boltgun metal over the gray chips

#18 golem101

golem101

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:03 AM

I definitively need to get better at handling the sponge. Such fine details/smaller areas still elude me.

#19 Keyansark

Keyansark

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:31 PM

Now, the terrain pieces...

#20 mgentile7

mgentile7

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

Is it just me or do those crates always look out of scale? I liked the at43 containers, they were in a nice scale to the figs.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS