Dark Eldar Career Path

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 Maese Mateo

Maese Mateo

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:49 AM

Soon will have a canon Dark Eldar Career to make them player characters. I wonder if any of the other 2 parts of the adventure has rules for Eldars.

"The Soul Reaver contains the Dark Eldar Kabalite Warrior Career Path. This full new Career, designed for use in this adventure and beyond, allows players to take the sadistic power of the Dark Eldar into their own hands for the first time in Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay."

#2 Ryan the Lion

Ryan the Lion

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:03 AM

Based on the article, it looks like a stand-alone adventure rather than the first part of a trilogy.  Regardless, this is exactly what I need for my group and I am very excited to get my hands on this book.  I've been wanting to pit them against Dark Eldar since day 1.

#3 Ryan the Lion

Ryan the Lion

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:04 AM

I meant to say "based on the cover image" rather than "based on the article".

#4 Maese Mateo

Maese Mateo

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:57 AM

The article says:

"Fantasy Flight Games is pleased to announce the upcoming release of The Soul Reaver, an adventure in three parts for Rogue Trader!"

But yeah, maybe the three parts just come in the same book (like Lure of the Expanse). If that's the case, I hope they make an adventure with Eldars so we can have them as PCs.

#5 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

Freelance Writer/Play-Tester

• Members
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:31 PM

It's like Lure and The Emperor Protects and Rising Tempest and so on - three adventures all in the same book.

The DE career is tasty. I think it'll be hard to play such an intentionally cruel character, but it should still be fun.

BYE

Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.

#6 Blood Pact

Blood Pact

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:36 PM

Shouldn't be too hard to port over to Black Crusade, though.

#7 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

• Members
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:42 PM

Hmm... I hadn't thought of that.

Good idea!

BYE

Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.

#8 CaptainStabby

CaptainStabby

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:30 PM

This really should be a BC option.

Kinda falls in the same space as the Reaver from HA for me. *shrug* I mean, if you really want to play a super heretical crew you really probably ought to be playing BC anyhow.

#9 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

• Members
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:48 PM

Eldar hate Chaos more than anything else. I can't see a DE working with Chaos forces.

BYE

#10 MKX

MKX

• Members
  • 845 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:48 PM

Well, the Eldar hate chaos, the Dark Eldar just hate everybody, up until the screaming starts and then they're happy for a bit ;)

#11 N0-1_H3r3

N0-1_H3r3

Former Contributing Freelance Writer

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:33 PM

H.B.M.C. said:

The DE career is tasty. I think it'll be hard to play such an intentionally cruel character, but it should still be fun.

And therein lies the wonders of mechanics-based incentives - I can't go into details here (not until the book is out), but just like their counterparts in the wargame, Dark Eldar characters gain in power the more terror and suffering they inflict. It is thus in a player's best interests to be deliberately and wilfully cruel.

This was a fun one to work on.

Writing Credits for Fantasy Flight Games: Into the Storm, Edge of the Abyss, Battlefleet Koronus, Hostile Acquisitions, Black Crusade Core Rulebook, First Founding, The Jericho Reach, The Soul Reaver, Only War, The Navis Primer and Ark of Lost Souls

#12 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

• Members
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:19 PM

As it happens I have read the DE career rules, so I do know what you're talking about, I just fear that even the most callous of RT crews might be a bit wary about having someone so unabashedly evil on their ship. I mean, Orks aren't evil - they just like to fight stuff - but Dark Eldar? They're sadistic in every way. Their presence might make life difficult for the Rogue Trader.

BYE

#13 Darth Fanboy

Darth Fanboy

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:12 AM

I'd imagine that a fair bit of it is the ignorance of most Imperials to the difference between cruelly enigmatic Xenos pirates and enigmatically cruel Xenos pirates.

#14 Blood Pact

Blood Pact

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:16 AM

Well, I said I'd be happy with Dark Eldar in Black Crusade... but I guess this is close enough. ;)

Can't wait to see them, I haven't seen the material yet (unlike some lucky people) but confirmation that they play off the same themes and style of mechanics (roughly) as they do on the table-top is very inspiring news. You've definetly got a sale.

Now hopefully FFG doesn't make you stick advanced specialties or additional DE careers in the other books, that'd just be sadistic. And I want my Reaver jetbike!

#15 Alpha Chaos 13

Alpha Chaos 13

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:04 AM

Blood Pact said:

that'd just be sadistic.

And thus entirely appropriate!

#16 Fabian Grax

Fabian Grax

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:18 PM

The difference between a Dark Eldar and regular Eldar should become obvious enough when the DE character starts torturing the underdecks crew. :P

The Rogue Trader in the game I'm playing doesn't go for the whole grimdark thing and is trying to be Paragon Commander Shepard all the time, so I really don't think he'd go for a Dark Eldar crewmember. Still, I'm sure others would be interested.

#17 Mjoellnir

Mjoellnir

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:56 PM

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYHYHYHYHY?????? What did Pathfinders and Corsairs ever do to you? Why do they have to be released after green football fans with chainsaws, cannibalistic tribal nomads and now the most evil scum normalspace/the webway has to offer if at all? Are all Rogue Traders in the Koronus Expanse either such puritans that they shoot xenos on sight or such radicals that they hire anything short of Chaos Marines with nothing in between?

#18 Blood Pact

Blood Pact

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:19 AM

To be fair, 'regular' Eldar Corsairs aren't very nice people either. They basically get off on all the roaming around and raiding of ships, and have actually 'fallen' and joined the Dark Eldar

Besides, who wouldn't want a masterful Kabalite warrior around? Only the elite of Commorragh's warrior cadre's are allowed to make realspace raids, and if anyone know about torture and intimidation (and backstabbing?) it'd be a Dark Eldar... Of course, you just have to watch out for them beytraying you, because they're a Dark Eldar.

#19 Trader Austin

Trader Austin

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:08 AM

Mjoellnir said:

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYHYHYHYHY?????? What did Pathfinders and Corsairs ever do to you? Why do they have to be released after green football fans with chainsaws, cannibalistic tribal nomads and now the most evil scum normalspace/the webway has to offer if at all? Are all Rogue Traders in the Koronus Expanse either such puritans that they shoot xenos on sight or such radicals that they hire anything short of Chaos Marines with nothing in between?

I'd hire a chaos space marine if i could turn a profit from it. as for the dark elder. it's all about knowing what you have, and keeping it happy as long as it's making you thrones. everything can be useful and turned into a profit. the trick is figuring out how. 

#20 Blood Pact

Blood Pact

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:03 AM

Just assign them the same job as any other annoying crew member who is always after the Rogue Trader's job. It'll keep them busy, and the Dark Eldar entertained. Also be sure to let them be in charge of any torturing or executions going on, any sort of corporal punishment whatsoever, really.

But what I'm really wondering now, considering the difficulties of fitting a Kabalite in to your crew, is just how much minimum violence do they need to sustain themselves? Afterall, it`s not as if you can count on a Harlequin Troupe to stop in every week (or more?) to take care of that.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS