• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mallumo

Mallumo

• Members
  • 509 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:47 AM

www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp

Well ... My first thoughts: great art. Do not like. Mainly because I don't want epic spells to actually become viable options. Cacophonic Scream, Cacophonic Scream, game over - doesn't sound like fun. And not only are these little buggers better at dishing out epic spells than the mighty Teclis, but destruction also definitely has the better ones (so far? Maybe there'll be new ones in this cycle.). But we haven't seen many cards of the new cycle yet, so I'm expecting new ways to counter assaults like this.

#2 Titan

Titan

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:02 AM

Ha, my first thought was exactly the opposite: Great, Cacophonic Scream just became viable for a 3 cost. But you do bring up a very valid point, this can lend itself to a great deal of abuse and quick wins. As always, let's see what else the cycle brings with it. Hard to believe that they would put such an obvious game finishing combo without some counters in there somewhere. 

#3 HappyDD

HappyDD

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:09 AM

I know I'm not the only one thinking this: How am I supposed to pronounced the names of these cards? "P'tarix" sounds like "puh-tar-icks" when I read that card in my head, which I guess is acceptable, but "Xirat'p" is what? "Ex-er-at-puh"? That is awkward as hell. I'd just say "P'tarix's friend".

I guess setting up a bunch of cards to cast an epic spell for 3 is more manageable than having to shell out 10 resources for an epic spell, and I know someone will chime in with "Too slow, if I draw whatever, then you lose with this combo, bwaaaah", but I'm just thinking that having an epic spell in the deck that CAN work might be good for the meta in that the more ways you can win, no matter how ridiculous, means there is less talk about breaking up the Empire.

#4 Mallumo

Mallumo

• Members
  • 509 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:01 AM

You don't need to set up a bunch of cards though. Just put Xirat'p in a deck with a high number of spells, and three copies each of destruction's epic ones, and you can be good to go. Didn't hit the Cacophonic Scream? Just destroy all their units then. Didn't hit an epic spell? How about a Burn it down! costing 0 then. I'm exaggerating, but the potential is there.

As for the other issue, just call them Bert and Ernie. Beware though, speaking the true name of a demon might summon it.

#5 cyberfunk

cyberfunk

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:19 AM

I'm thinking Your Will is Mine is probably going to be a better option than Cacaphonic Scream because it doesn't have the "beginning of turn" restriction. Managing to keep two 1-HP dorks alive through an entire opponent's turn is one more thing that has to go right. As long as you have a way to take advantage of YWIM, it should do more damage anyway.

Kind of a shame that it's so tailored for the Epic spells. I guess the undead spells for zero, at least Raise Dead, are potentially playable if you're already in for the combo. Next best option is, I guess, Tzeentch's Firestorm for two?

#6 Titan

Titan

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:33 AM

Mallumo said:

You don't need to set up a bunch of cards though. Just put Xirat'p in a deck with a high number of spells, and three copies each of destruction's epic ones, and you can be good to go. Didn't hit the Cacophonic Scream? Just destroy all their units then. Didn't hit an epic spell? How about a Burn it down! costing 0 then. I'm exaggerating, but the potential is there.

As for the other issue, just call them Bert and Ernie. Beware though, speaking the true name of a demon might summon it.

It's ok because If you know a daemon's true name, then you have control over him, which is why a daemon would never tell a mortal his real name in the first place. And lol at cyberfunk's Cacaphonic Scream.

Anyway, a question occurs to me: when you play a different race's spell using Xirat'p's ability do you also take into account loyalty as an added cost? Or does his ability render the loyalty portion of the cost as irrelevant? The way it is worded would suggest that there is no added cost, but I wouldn't say it with 100% certainty. 

#7 gr4ffi

gr4ffi

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:49 PM

When you play a different races spell using X'iratp you will have to pay the loyalty cost only - it says so from the card test very clearly. For example a Sacrifice to Khaine would cost you 2, because it has 2 loyalty, but also a Call the Brayherd would cost you 3 because existing loyalty does not count into cost in this situation... A good question would what about Flames of the Tzeentch??? As it deals X damage to a target unit while X is the printed cost of that card... Also Burn it Down! is no spell at all.

#8 Kaine82

Kaine82

• Members
  • 440 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:35 AM

I see these guys fitting nicely in a Chaos self corruption deck. My spell of choice would be Call the Brayherd.

Play LCGs in Louisville KY :: Monthly tournaments at 2 locations!

Wednesdays :: Something2Do :: 6:30PM - 10:00PM

Fridays :: BluegrassMagic GameShop :: 6:30 PM - Midnight

RSVP :: meetup.com/cardboardgamers

#9 Virgo

Virgo

• Members
  • 704 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:38 AM

gr4ffi said:

A good question would what about Flames of the Tzeentch??? As it deals X damage to a target unit while X is the printed cost of that card...

“The Letter X”
Unless specified by a card, card effect, or granted player choice, the letter “X” is always equal to zero.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS