The Thing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tromdial

Tromdial

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:49 PM

With such a big following, a board game version would be stupendous. Giving it some action and mystery/deduction on who The Thing is and who gets infected by it would be very, very cool. Having recently bought and greatly enjoyed Fury of Dracula, I wish FFG had more mystery/deduction games to offer (one could argue Mansions is too, but it's more preset follow-the-bread-crumbs than when Dracula is choosing himself where his trail scurries off to next). A mix of figurines and tiles (ala Mansions/Gears) and a very strong mystery mechanic of who is infected or where The Thing is so it can be killed (Battlestar/Dracula) will prove a solid sale for FFG.

#2 jasonpanella

jasonpanella

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:01 AM

Tromdial said:

With such a big following, a board game version would be stupendous. Giving it some action and mystery/deduction on who The Thing is and who gets infected by it would be very, very cool. Having recently bought and greatly enjoyed Fury of Dracula, I wish FFG had more mystery/deduction games to offer (one could argue Mansions is too, but it's more preset follow-the-bread-crumbs than when Dracula is choosing himself where his trail scurries off to next). A mix of figurines and tiles (ala Mansions/Gears) and a very strong mystery mechanic of who is infected or where The Thing is so it can be killed (Battlestar/Dracula) will prove a solid sale for FFG.

I know there are several print and play version of The Thing, the most recent card game winning (I believe) a Golden Geek award in 2011 from BGG. The two games I know have a pretty good reputation. Of course, both are unofficial.

#3 ClockworkHorror

ClockworkHorror

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:10 AM

I agree: The Thing as a FFG board game would be a must buy for me.:) 

#4 Kaermo

Kaermo

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:55 AM

I totally agree!

This theme has lots of possibilites:

First of all you have a traitor being the thing. This traitor should be able to infect other players who would instantly switch sides.

The human players would have to kill the thing and keep it from destroying vital parts of the facility.

If they fail to protect the facility their time for killing the thing and protecting mankind starts running short.

Oh yes... i would LOVE to see a game based on that theme.

#5 sepayne7l

sepayne7l

• Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:27 PM

I agree. I thought Panic Station would be that game and I'm glad I didn't get it. The write-ups persuaded me not to try. I think they could pull it off. Battlestar's traitor mechanism with the face down card checks is flipping genius.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS