Photo

Are your best players invested in the game? How about your least happy players?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 4,799 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:02 AM

A recent post got me thinking about this.  How many of your players actually own the core set or the Players Guide?  Has that generally influenced how happy/interested they have been in the game?

jh

#2 Captain Fluffy

Captain Fluffy

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:14 AM

Almost none.  And no it didn't.

To expand on that of the 16 players that have played in a campaign with me (say at least 8 sessions) I can only think of two players that own any part of the game.  And one of them doesn't count as he is also a GM.  It is a bit strange (I have just finished running a pathfinder campaign and every player had a least a copy of the core rule book) but I am not sure what FFG can do to influence it.

However I don't think it has influenced if someone is a good player or not or whether some players get more out of the game than others.  The Warhammer world exists in many different formats and some players will have played the wargame, some will have played Warhammer online others may have read the novels. Others have only learned about the setting through playing the RPG.  However as long as the players buy into the game world that I, as a GM present, and engage with me and the other players to create interesting stories then I am happy.

As for "Least Happy Players"  I have only found one person so far who did not like the system (who have actually played it with me - I have meet several who don't like it but have never played it!)

Give me more fluff and less rules

Hear me on the Tabletop Chronicles Podcast
https://itunes.apple...ast/id670638100

#3 Doc, the Weasel

Doc, the Weasel

Pretending to be many, many things.

• Members
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:30 AM

In the game I run, one player owns the Core (plus supplements) and one owns the Players Guide. The three other players haven't invested anything.

In a game I play in, myself and the GM has invested in the game. That group has two more players that haven't invested in the game.

I haven't seen a difference in enjoyment, interest, or better playstyle (which isn't in the body of your note, but is in the title). 

Listen to my actual play podcasts at BeggingForXP.com.

Take a look at my Talent Trees (updated to include Dangerous Covenants), as well as my other handouts.

#4 Daedalum

Daedalum

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:43 AM

Perhaps the accessibility of cards  around a table and the amount of description and rules on the cards means players can get to know their options without a rule book. Quite a few GMs praise that they dont feel they need to consult rule books with this game.

#5 ezradenney

ezradenney

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:59 AM

I have 7 players and one has the core book. I am actually very afraid of getting his stuff mixed up with mine, so I usually ask him not to use his. I don't want him to lose any of his components, and feel it would be far too easy for dice or cards to get mixed up.

#6 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:02 AM

None own the core set at all, I don't think they need to.

They have read up blogs and borrowed books of stories about old world etc.  The least invested doesn't spend much time away from table on/thinking about game but did spend enough to create a nice "hook laden" backstory for his character that has provided much fun.

So they are not at all invested financially but invested enough fun wise.  When I laid out fact this campaign arc probably ends by end of this year, then perhaps its new characters and Enemy Within all were fine. 

This is not a financial barrier issue, it's mostly time demands.

#7 derdavid

derdavid

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:37 AM

I have the game, they bring the food. It works fine. 

#8 New Zombie

New Zombie

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:17 AM

Daedalum said:

Perhaps the accessibility of cards  around a table and the amount of description and rules on the cards means players can get to know their options without a rule book. Quite a few GMs praise that they dont feel they need to consult rule books with this game.

QFT

in other systems the players all had their own guides. this system none of them have one. the rules have faded to the background. this is a real strength. as for fluff i've dissected the content of the books and created rumour cards that they gather during the course of adventures. 

#9 k7e9

k7e9

• Members
  • 767 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:22 AM

None of my players own the core set or the players guide. I had one player that was interested in purchasing the players guide, but he moved away and isn't playing with us anymore (and he still hasn't got the players guide).

I don't think it has influenced how happy or interested they are in the game, but we usually hang out and play other games at my place which leaves them plenty of time to flip through the cards and books. This seems to be enough to keep everyone happy.

#10 Gallows

Gallows

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:32 AM

I have bought everything. One of my players bought Winds of Magic when he played a wizard and another bought Omens of War. Each player has also ordered a dice set I believe (still not available though). I'm happy with that... that it's all mine. We also play board games once in a while and then I get to play without buying anything.

#11 Nisses

Nisses

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:10 AM

derdavid said:

I have the game, they bring the food. It works fine. 

this. I'd not like to get my stuff mixed up with that of others as well.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS