Photo

The Twilight Imperium Third Edition is the best game of the world.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JuliusCaesar

JuliusCaesar

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 02:28 AM

Speak here.

Thank you.

#2 azuredarkness

azuredarkness

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 07:02 AM

JuliusCaesar said:

Twilight Imperium Third Edition is the best game of the world.

QFT

#3 GreyLord

GreyLord

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 07:51 AM

Although I must admit, personally I'm probably more partial to War of the Ring, Twilight Imperium IS a pretty awesome game.  I enjoy it a lot.

#4 4lterego

4lterego

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 10:59 PM

I envision an advanced society where the top TI players are treated like rockstars, including groupies and money. 

#5 Maruk the Nomad

Maruk the Nomad

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 02:42 AM

Well I have it as my number two or three, with Descent at the top. But yeah the game is awesome, I am hoping for a new expansion at some point, that will give some new aspects to the game. More tech and objectives, maybe more unites.

#6 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • 466 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 02:04 AM

TI3 is the queen of boardgames. You have to smack the ***** a bit before she fits, but then you'll enjoy her the rest of your life.

#7 Mike_Evans

Mike_Evans

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:20 AM

LMAO!  Perfect way to put it, Stefan!!

#8 Beren_Erchamion

Beren_Erchamion

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:26 AM

Maruk the Nomad said:

Well I have it as my number two or three, with Descent at the top. But yeah the game is awesome, I am hoping for a new expansion at some point, that will give some new aspects to the game. More tech and objectives, maybe more unites.

Descent is for n00bs!

I own both and find TI3 a much better and deeper game.

#9 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • 466 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:48 AM

It really is. But Descent can be fun in its own right.

#10 StarBurn

StarBurn

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:32 AM

Beren_Erchamion said:

Maruk the Nomad said:

Descent is for n00bs!

I own both and find TI3 a much better and deeper game.

does completly different games strike you as a fact ?!

and you can't say its deeper since you always start out with another race. While you get to play Descent: RTL for months.

Twilight is my number one strategy and God knows I love it and would wish to have some people around to play it a lot with besides my friends who got bored really fast because of me winning all the time if not ganged.

Again...ships in space, with dragons in underground dungeons...what where you thinking ?!

#11 sigmazero13

sigmazero13

Rules Geek

• Members
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:04 AM

I like Descent also, but I do have to agree with Beren that TI3 is a MUCH deeper and richer game.

Yes, RTL can take a long time to play, but length does not necessarily equate to "depth" and "richness" (though RTL definitely does increase that factor in Descent).

They are different genre's (not just theme, but play mechanics), so it depends on the mood, but as fun as Descent is, it's also very hack-and-slash, and mistakes aren't usually as severely punished.  In TI3, you have to be VERY careful while playing, as even little mistakes can have drastic consequences, but little schemes can also pay big dividends.

Descent is usually pretty straightforward.  There's not a lot of subterfuge and scheming.  TI3 has that in abundance :)

#12 Beren_Erchamion

Beren_Erchamion

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:22 AM

sigmazero13 said:

I like Descent also, but I do have to agree with Beren that TI3 is a MUCH deeper and richer game.

Yes, RTL can take a long time to play, but length does not necessarily equate to "depth" and "richness" (though RTL definitely does increase that factor in Descent).

They are different genre's (not just theme, but play mechanics), so it depends on the mood, but as fun as Descent is, it's also very hack-and-slash, and mistakes aren't usually as severely punished.  In TI3, you have to be VERY careful while playing, as even little mistakes can have drastic consequences, but little schemes can also pay big dividends.

Descent is usually pretty straightforward.  There's not a lot of subterfuge and scheming.  TI3 has that in abundance :)

As always, you put it better than I could have. While Descent may have its good points, it is not as deep a game as TI3.

Also, I made no comments on the difference of the games, simply on the deeper/richer part.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS