Thanks to both of for the awesome answers.
Bringing love lost back? Hmn, that is actual a pretty damn good idea, maybe it's THE idea.. Instead of summoning a daemon, maybe he wish to bring back his dead master first, then maybe Magnus the Red and finally Horus himself, so the false Emperor could fall? Maybe Apophis flies through the galaxies hunting for parts of Magnus the Red and Horus so the reawakening is possible? Maybe it should be Apophis whose body is in a dead state and Angelique De Falk is on the quest to resurrect him (that succeeds)?
I had already given the Nurgle vs. Tzeentch a lot of thought, also in the death perceptive. But I would like to keep the plot Tzeentch focused and the PC’s battling Imperials more than actual heretics. Also the last long scenario I ran was with Nurgle, so I’m not that hooked on the whole big Nurgle vs. Tzeentch thing. Apophis would of course make sure that possible Nurgle cults wouldn’t exist, which might point the PC’s in the direction that they are fighting against Tzeentch.
That is an awesome campaign idea. I could maybe twist it into making the players summon a lord of change for Apophis that he needs to consul to gain lore into necromancy (and change). Make Apophis pop up at the right time, teleport the **** out of there and let a squad of grey knight or malleus inquisitors attack the PC’s for being daemon worshippers.
Hmn, my plan for his main enemy (beside the Emperor (who is in a permanent state)) is the PC’s Inquisitor Lord. A Xeno Hybris (1) Radical, whose mother Angelique De Falk, works for Apophis helping him to achieve his goal. Beside this Sisters of Ordo of the Bloody Rose is investigating into both Apophis and the Xeno Hybris Inquisitor Lord, declaring both parts heretics.
I don’t really understand what you mean with the genestealer cult, necron cult and tech-heresies? What I link them together with is creating life to the dead.
The drug was really a cool idea. It could work great to scare the PC’s and for the minor cults to use.
Hmn, the St Drusus idea is cool. That could be done very good, and give the players a very clear goal to stop him. Where is the St Drusus body stored?
1: Xeno Hybris is a radical faction of the inquisition who works together with xenos and utilize their knowledge and equipment.
To create the life to the dead Apophis is clearly on a quest for knowledge, artefacts and bodies (of good state) for his experiments. This is often something he doesn’t do himself, but minor cults of him will accomplish.
I’m not so keen on that he is afraid of death, since with daemon-worshipping and tech-heresies you can keep a live for thousands of years.
Hmn, I’m not an entirely sure that would be his main interest, but it would of course shake the Imperium’s foundation if he managed to raise the dead and shake the core belief of the Emperor. I think it’s too “typical” that he just wants to change the Emperor to the ruinous powers. He would want more and some specific plan.
Some more information:
He have already tried to ruin the homeworld of the Storm Wardens Space Marine chapter by bringing corrupting artefacts on the planet, giving to the four greatest warlords, making them insane and corrupt, all of the four greatest warlords on the mission to destroy the others and taking over the world, making the geneseed come in danger. He used the Slaught to give the artefacts to the warlords, and try to stop the PC’s from removing the items and stopping his plans. The players succeeded with removing of the artefacts and getting off-world with them.
As I already said they are on their way to Scintilla Hive following the lead of Asaid Virenus.
Besides needing one big goal, I had an idea of making ten small plots in ten different places.
• Upper Hive Sibbelus
• Middle Hive Sibellus
• Lower Hive Sibellus
• Upper Hive Tarsus
• Middle Hive Tarsus
• Lower Hive Tarsus
• Ambulon Hive
• Gun Metal City
• The Wilderness
• Ruins of Tenebra Hive
Middle part of Hive Sibellus might have sudden riots with people shouting for change. Later they discover in Upper Hive Tarsus an infamous rogue trader get killed and robbed in his home. Weather reports show a huge increase in storms over the ruins of Tenebra Hive. Etc. All of them when investigated will show up cults or people trying to reanimate the dead flesh by different tactics.
The reanimation part will be tested from many angles, but by different people. I was thinking something like:
• Magos Vathek is trying with different tech-heresies, maybe recreating the Sarcosan Wave Generator to bring back life to humans.
• A cult might focus on finding a specific chaos artefact that with the right alterations can bring souls back into “empty” bodies.
• Another cult could with worship or “help” from a necron artefact or some necrons try to re-awaken dead humans.
• A small genestealer cult would try to manipulate the geneseed of genestealers into dead bodies in an attempt to bring life to the husk. (Maybe creating mindless husks.)
• A fourth cult could converse with daemons (which need human sacrifices) to gain the intelligent to gain knowledge on how to bind a soul to an item or body.
• A fifth cult could dwell into a chaos book searching for how to work necromancy.
• Angelique De Falk would maybe study a daemonweapon on how the daemon (soul) is bound to the weapon and if there was any chance she could bind another soul to an item.
• A sixth cult would converse with a Thousand Sons warband on how to resurrect dead persons, the Thousand Sons would ofcourse want something in trade.
• A final cult may perhaps study on how daemonhost works and if you could “bind” a soul to the host instead of a daemon.
• A group of slaught will maybe work as assassins, gather intelligence or acquire an artefact that one of the above needs.
• Apophis will use his psychic powers to influence and control all of the above cults and persons to do his bidding. He might know have a physical form, but his soul could be very strong.
But all of this is very far from what he actual wishes to use the reanimation or resurrection power for.
It is also very far from the idea that the players should do some work for him (without them knowing) and that they should be on a wild goosehunt chasing the wrong bird, and in the beginning only helping him with his mission.
Hope this helps or confuse, or start something. I need to take a break now.