Let's go shopping

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Wittgenstein

Wittgenstein

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:04 AM

Ok, I love Warhammer, and I think FFG have done a great job with the products. But how they've gone about releasing those products has left me confused. I've tried a few times to get into the game, but i fail every time. I thought I'd take a different approach. What if I tell you what I want, and you tell me what I need to buy?

I want all the wizardrly magic, all the prieslty magic, and all the careers. I like 'visual', so I really don't mind the counters and stuff as I believe it adds to the experience. We also have 4 players and 1 GM (me).

What products would I need?

#2 No:12

No:12

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:16 AM

Hi,

Well the core set plus the adventurers toolkit gives you the base kit for four players. Signs of faith gives you the religious stuff, and Winds of magic gives you the wizardy stuff. An extra set of dice or two would help if you have four PC's. Nearly every supplement gives you some extra careers, so you may want to consider Omens of war and Lure of power, that give cards and careers for warrior and social themes respectively.

Hope that helps, give it a go it took our group a couple of sessions to gel with it but in the last few years we have grown more and more appreciative of the system.

#3 Wittgenstein

Wittgenstein

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:20 AM

No:12 said:

Hi,

Well the core set plus the adventurers toolkit gives you the base kit for four players. Signs of faith gives you the religious stuff, and Winds of magic gives you the wizardy stuff. An extra set of dice or two would help if you have four PC's. Nearly every supplement gives you some extra careers, so you may want to consider Omens of war and Lure of power, that give cards and careers for warrior and social themes respectively.

Hope that helps, give it a go it took our group a couple of sessions to gel with it but in the last few years we have grown more and more appreciative of the system.

Thanks No12, but I have to say, just got off the phone with a friend of mine, and apparently, two of my players hate all the fiddly counters and stuff. They just want books and dice like other rpgs.

Is it possible to have it this way?

#4 Captain Fluffy

Captain Fluffy

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:32 AM

I would suggest the core set and major chaos gods expansions.  The vaults and guides are a bit of a distraction and both are now out of date due to recent releases. I think playing without the cards and things is a bit counter productive (as there are lots of RPGs without bits) but realistically it is the dice mechanic which is the key feature and everything else could be dropped.  To do this get the guides, plus the pdfs of the expansions that have happed since the guides were published.  You'll need a bunch if dice but the rest is unnecessary. 

Give me more fluff and less rules

Hear me on the Tabletop Chronicles Podcast
https://itunes.apple...ast/id670638100

#5 Renee

Renee

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:42 AM

I agree with Captain Fluffy. The hardcover Guides are aimed at giving you a more traditional rpg experience, and include guidelines for doing without all the bits and pieces. And they include information for all the careers in the Core, Adventurer's Toolkit, Winds of Change (magic), and SIgns of Faith (religion). Those and some dice will get you a playable game. But it is not the most fun version of the game, as far as I'm concerned. 

My group doesn't use all the chits and stuff...we use dice to track stress, fatigue, recharge times, etc. But there are things I couldn't imagine doing without. Progress trackers, action cards, and so on. I've worked in the game design industry, and I wish I had thought of some of this stuff...lots of traditional games could benefit from FFG's design philosophy. This is a relatively high crunch game you can play fast and smooth, almost without referencing the books once you have the basics down, because the components do the work for you. And sure, you could write all the information from your talent and action cards onto a character sheet, but at some point you're just duplicating the work FFG has already done for you.

#6 reg

reg

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:44 PM

And it doesn't look as good

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS