Photo

How should Force powers affect the game?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 spirit

spirit

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:17 PM

From what I saw of the first version they had, it looked like it didn't utilize the force at all. How should the Force be used in the game? 

#2 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:18 AM

Should hardly be in it really. At the start of star wars the force was practically a legend. All but forgotten and considered by some a "Hokey religion".

I would like to see characters that are "strong" in the force.. maybe a kind of luck mechanic or something.. but lame bull like the modern video games were you have "force push" and "lightning blast" and stuff.... **** that. Vader and Luke and a few sure... but if we see tons of jedies and all sorts of ubr powers it will be lame and soulless like the prequels. One of the things that originally attracted me to this was the conspicuous absents of "the force" in the press releases. I thought .." finally,... someone that gets it"... though now maybe not.. we will see there is a rumour one of the reasons it was recalled was the lack of the force.

Keep it subtle, keep is cool, keep it "special"...

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#3 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:14 AM

From what I remember, WotC seem to have used The Force as a synonym for "luck", which just doesn't really cut it at all. Giving Han Solo Force powers, even someone like Leia at this time of SW history, is just plain wrong. I'd like to see it used only by those characters who expressly have Force aptitude, like Luke and Obi-Wan, Vader and the Emperor. As to exactly how it should be used, I don't know. It should do more than just allow you to re-roll a dice, though, that's for sure!

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#4 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:53 AM

spalanzani said:

From what I remember, WotC seem to have used The Force as a synonym for "luck", which just doesn't really cut it at all. Giving Han Solo Force powers, even someone like Leia at this time of SW history, is just plain wrong.

That's not quite it. Han and Leia never had Force powers in the WotC game, but they did have game text that would influence the Force, representing the way the Force moves through all things (Yoda maintains this in Empire after all, and I think it's worthwhile to trust Yoda). Leia often had effects that caused your opponent to pay Force after attacking in order to successfully damage her, and sometimes would provide a similar protection to your Smugglers. Similarly, Han Solo had a couple cards that would protect your Diplomats. (The oddly appropriate thing about this, though, was that Lando Calrissian ended up being a Bespin Smuggler - Diplomat. ^_^;)

But yeah, I think the Force should be a very present thing in the game, just not in the flamboyant fashion that booored described (unless/until they eventually decide to get into TFU territory, which would likely be a while into it considering). Because the Force is very important to Star Wars - yes, even the Classic Trilogy. Even when it's not visibly involved in what characters are doing, it is guiding them along, like in how droids just happen to be picked up by scavengers and then sold to a family farmers who just happen to be under the watch of Obi-Wan Kenobi...and how supposedly expert star-pilots and troops can't seem to hit the heroes worth a darn. :P

#5 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:46 AM

Ah, sorry, I was thinking about the WotC minis game, not the TCG. Han and Leia have Force points that they can spend as if they have Force powers, which to me is just wrong. Even in their RPG, you can be a non-Force sensitive, and still have Force points. But I'm not here to gripe about WotC, who otherwise did what I think to be a really good job for the most part

I still have no real idea about how I would like to see this in the game. It would be nice if there were some cost to characters using the Force, though. As in Empire, when Yoda lifts the X-Wing out of the swamp but is meant to be visibly drained and exhausted by such use of his power. I presume we'll see lightsabers as a weapon attachment, so having them only be allowed to be attached to Jedi or Sith characters to gain their full power would be sensible.

I really hope they don't end up producing some sort of suite of Force Power cards, that can be attached to characters to allow them to "exhaust this Force Power card to deal 2 points of Force damage to every enemy engaged with the attached character" or somesuch. Giving the characters who actually use the Force in the movies a nice little ability wouldn't be too bad, of course. Vader could absorb blaster bolts with his hands, so why not give him something along the lines of "ignore the first point of damage dealt". Not to over-state it, but also not to give these Force-users just any old ability.

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS