FFG PLEASE stop the endless speculation & give us something concrete

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#1 spirit

spirit

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:34 PM

From reading these forums and those on BGG it is clear that there is a BIG split relatively down the middle of people wanting either PVP OR Co-Op. There's a large number of those players who'd like to see a game that utilizes both. But it does appear that the thing that's frustrating gamers the most at the moment is the utter lack of ANY idea now what this game is going to be. What route they're now trying to take it down or how it's going.

The Co-Op players hope that co-op might still feature. The PVP players hope it's now going to be PVP but the truth is that none of us have ANY idea what's going on. Come on FFG, throw us a bone, give us a clue, look into the Force and share it with your fans. Before they all rebel and walk. 

#2 spirit

spirit

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:19 PM

Anything would be nice at this point. 

#3 Juzam66

Juzam66

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:36 AM

I'm from the other side (PvP), but on this point, i completly agree with you.

#4 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:20 AM

I doubt at this point they even know themselves.

However. It's just coming up to a month since they made the announcement of it going back into development, and since then the sort of covert news we've had is that it's now for 2 players - no more, no less - and that you can take control of heroes and villains. The sensible conclusion to draw is that is really is going to be PvP, which should delight many folks, but I agree that the uncertainty of any co-op aspect remaining is definitely niggling.

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#5 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:53 AM

I can sort of see where they're coming from - if they firmly announce that it's either PvP or Co-op today, it appears they can look forward to half their community trash-talking the game from now 'til Christmas.

But on the other side of that coin, it's hard for anybody to actually get excited about something if they don't know what it is. I for one only come here for news, not speculation, and I'm coming less and less. By the time December rolls around, I might be so tired of the silence surrounding this game that I might actually resent the game itself (I'm petty like that).

So yeah, info please! 

#6 spirit

spirit

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:19 AM

I. J. Thompson said:

I can sort of see where they're coming from - if they firmly announce that it's either PvP or Co-op today, it appears they can look forward to half their community trash-talking the game from now 'til Christmas.

But on the other side of that coin, it's hard for anybody to actually get excited about something if they don't know what it is. I for one only come here for news, not speculation, and I'm coming less and less. By the time December rolls around, I might be so tired of the silence surrounding this game that I might actually resent the game itself (I'm petty like that).

So yeah, info please! 

That's exactly my point. With a period of no news starting to stretch, these boards will get quieter & quieter. So they really could do with giving us something to talk about.

#7 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:02 AM

Sometimes early hype can bite a franchise in the backside. I really hope FFG doesn't let this happen, for what could be their defining license of the current decade.

#8 spirit

spirit

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:24 PM

Given the game was supposed to have been released already it wasn't really early hype. It's not that it's gone back into development that bugs people. It's the utter lack of any feedback or news along the way that's beginning to rankle. 

#9 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:44 AM

I suppose it could just be that it's still early days, so they don't have anything of interest to tell us. While it would be nice to know if they've got a direction that they're taking the game, they may still be brainstorming or whatever, and so just don't have anything to say yet. It's barely a month since the last announcement, after all.

#10 oDESGOSTO

oDESGOSTO

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:45 AM

Yeah, it's about time to give us something... but I'm afraid that FFG are still thinking about what kind of "something" will they provide to us.

We all remember what happened with Blood Bowl Team Manager. Almost what?! One year?! The game was announced as a Deck Building Game and then FFG pulled this idea and developed a different game. I bought it and I loved it! It's one of the best "filler" games I've played in a while.

As for this one, the original concept that was introduced in GenCon was something in the line of LOTR:LCG CoOp game. Many of us were disappointed with the concept and I guess FFG heard us and thought for a while to the future of SW:LCG.

IMO they should do the same what they did in AGOT:LCG, bring the old SW CCG game, polish it and present it in an LCG format. That would ring PROFIT everywhere! And we would all be very pleased!

#11 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:54 AM

Over the weekend I sent them a nice little note asking, even though I don't expect anything cast-iron, did they even know which direction they were developing the game, and got this reply:

I'm sorry to say, but my Bothan spies died while trying to get tot the other side of the building and gather an answer for your question. I have nothing for you.

It seems to me, after the hullabaloo from about November, when it started getting pushed back on the upcoming page (as much as that page can be trusted), but at least for the past two and a half months since they made the announcement of it going back into development, they've done nothing. The game is just mouldering somewhere on a darkened shelf, festooned with cobwebs and the like.

But then, I'm not a professional game designer, so maybe it takes longer for such a person to make a decision of "let's make it PvP!" or "let's stick with co-op!"

#12 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:14 AM

spalanzani said:

I'm sorry to say, but my Bothan spies died while trying to get tot the other side of the building and gather an answer for your question. I have nothing for you.

They really said that!? That just made my day. 

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#13 spirit

spirit

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:59 AM

oDESGOSTO said:

IMO they should do the same what they did in AGOT:LCG, bring the old SW CCG game, polish it and present it in an LCG format. That would ring PROFIT everywhere! And we would all be very pleased!

Ugh. No we wouldn't all be pleased. I've been there. Done that and got bored. I want something new. I'd love co-op but I'm not adverse to the idea of a PvP game either. But a re-packaged decipher game? Please God no.

#14 Wandyr

Wandyr

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:20 AM

Definitely don't repackage Decipher's game.  In my opinion that is only a good game when you are playing matched decks.  For instance, my friend and I took opposing sides of the battle for Hoth - not worrying about any space-based stuff.  It was awesome, and the only way I'll play now.  So I'd definitely like to see something new from FFG.  I know they can do it!

#15 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:06 AM

I'd like to cast a vote for no repackaging, if we were actually voting on this thing. FFG do seem to be fond of rereleasing other peoples' games with their own particular spin on them, but I can't really think they'd do that here. I mean, the LCG will be the second product they put out under their name since becoming the official licensee, they would surely want to showcase their own creative talent rather than simply repackage someone else's stuff? In a sense, I find this makes it so weird why they put it back into development, as the game-that-was, from what I've read of it, seemed to be a nice synthesis of their LCG line so far.

I would imagine, given just how well-loved the CCG is, nobody would want to buy the rights and repackage it because it could just so very easily blow up in their face. Unless it was an absolutely straight reprinting of the game, which would serve no real purpose at all, I can imagine an enormous section of the player community would be outraged beyond all sense of propriety. I mean, SW fans have to be some of the worst - look at the disdain with which many treat the man who actually started the whole thing. And I say this as a SW obsessee, I might add! (Though I actually quite like George, despite his endless tinkerings).

I suppose it was easier for them to reimplement the Game of Thrones CCG because they published that too. I just think there is too much potential for it all to go wrong by republishing the SW CCG.

Also, they're promising us a "truly groundbreaking LCG play experience" - reprinting the CCG will not provide such an experience, because that ground has already been broken. It makes me wonder, really, what ground they feel remains unbroken, but only the fullness of time will tell, I suppose...

#16 oDESGOSTO

oDESGOSTO

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:02 AM

spalanzani said:

Also, they're promising us a "truly groundbreaking LCG play experience" - reprinting the CCG will not provide such an experience, because that ground has already been broken. It makes me wonder, really, what ground they feel remains unbroken, but only the fullness of time will tell, I suppose...

The only way I see that is making a PvP LCG something in the likes of SW: Galactic Battlegrounds where you could build a deck around many of the races/factions of SW Universe and battle against eachother. Or maybe <--- this idea would work for another BattleLore reimplementation. :D

Well, I dunno... they will do what they'll think they'll have to do...

What I do not like to see in this game was a recycled LOTR:LCG CoOp'ish game. And I guess that's off the shelves, for now!

#17 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:58 AM

I am feeling right now just like this thread topic. After writing my most recent post I''m starting to feel like this forum is a broken record. We keep reading and writing the same things over and over again. I''m looking forward to getting an update. Maybe we can hope for an anniversary update on August 4 . . .

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#18 spirit

spirit

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:45 PM

Yep. But what else can we do► 

#19 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

spirit said:

Yep. But what else can we do► 

Play X-Wing….soon.

SW:CCG Repackaged. Gross.  Especially in LCG format. More like Silver Bullet: The Game! I refuse to play a SW:CCG jawa deck with a paltry 3 jawas.

#20 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:48 AM

Budgernaut said:

I am feeling right now just like this thread topic. After writing my most recent post I''m starting to feel like this forum is a broken record. We keep reading and writing the same things over and over again. I''m looking forward to getting an update. Maybe we can hope for an anniversary update on August 4 . . .

Ha! Something to hope for!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS