Talisman: The Blood Moon Expansion

• Please log in to reply
290 replies to this topic

#1 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:32 AM

Fantasy Flight Games is pleased to announce the upcoming release of The Blood Moon, an expansion for the classic board game Talisman!

The Blood Moon includes:

111 Adventure Cards,
10 Spell Cards,
1 Time Card,
6 Lycanthrope Cards
3 new Alternative Ending cards
3 new character cards and plastic figures
1 Werewolf card and plastic figure

#2 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:13 AM

This expansion looks awesome.

I think that the last character will be a gravekeeper.

But what for character is the second and the third one?

Any thoughts?

The time card is a cool idea.

And the Lycantrope is a sort of reaper i think..

#3 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:00 AM

Velhart said:

This expansion looks awesome.

I think that the last character will be a gravekeeper.

But what for character is the second and the third one?

Any thoughts?

The time card is a cool idea.

And the Lycantrope is a sort of reaper i think..

The first character on the left of the cover box is probably the Barbarian, or something alike. A Barbarian should have a battle-axe or a broadsword, IMO, a Morning Star Flail is something out of cliché. The oriental-looking woman is a Werewolf-hunter or Vampire-Hunter of some sort (notice the wooden stake in her hand). The latter is a Grave Digger as you noticed.

The Werewolf (whose miniature we see in the picture) will be a sort of Reaper with a dedicated chart. Lycanthropy is a disease and it seems that Characters may become Lycanthropes themselves.

Surely this expansion can't just be put together with every other Adventure card we have. 100 cards will be too diluted to notice the effects of Day-Night mechanics, Lycanthropy and so on. I think that at least Frostmarch and Sacred Pool (or Reaper) should be removed from the Adventure deck.

I'm curious to see what's on the Time card and how much it will affect cards that don't have this mechanic in their text.

#4 Doc Belmont

Doc Belmont

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:11 AM

This expansion gives me the greatest relief. It means that history is broken!

Historically speaking, every Talisman edition gets killed after the Dragon expansion. Blood Moon officially breaks that trend.

#5 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:17 AM

The_Warlock said:

The first character on the left of the cover box is probably the Barbarian, or something alike. A Barbarian should have a battle-axe or a broadsword, IMO, a Morning Star Flail is something out of cliché. The oriental-looking woman is a Werewolf-hunter or Vampire-Hunter of some sort (notice the wooden stake in her hand). The latter is a Grave Digger as you noticed.

The Werewolf (whose miniature we see in the picture) will be a sort of Reaper with a dedicated chart. Lycanthropy is a disease and it seems that Characters may become Lycanthropes themselves.

Surely this expansion can't just be put together with every other Adventure card we have. 100 cards will be too much diluted to see the effects of Day-Night mechanics, Lycanthropy and so on. I think that at least Frostmarch and Sacred Pool (or Reaper) need to be removed from the adventure deck.

I'm curious to see what's on the Time card and how much it will affect cards that don't have this mechanic in their text.

The one with the flail is a barbarian?

He don't look like one. I think he is something else. 

I agree that the woman could be a werewolf hunter.

Well, I think you can still play it with all the expansions.

The day and Night mechanic will activate if you draw event cards.

Every expansion has events, but the sacred Pool expansion has the most of it.

#6 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:23 AM

Doc Belmont said:

This expansion gives me the greatest relief. It means that history is broken!

Historically speaking, every Talisman edition gets killed after the Dragon expansion. Blood Moon officially breaks that trend.

That's right.

The dragon expansion was the last one for 2th edition

And the Dragon Tower was the last one for third edition

On top of that,... This edition will have the most expansions ever!

#7 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:36 AM

Velhart said:

The one with the flail is a barbarian?

He don't look like one. I think he is something else. 

He looks savage but too slender to be a Barbarian. A Witch Doctor with a flail? still the weapon doesn't belong to the Character. But as Doc Belmont says, this expansion may break the trends...

Velhart said:

Well, I think you can still play it with all the expansions.

The day and Night mechanic will activate if you draw event cards.

Every expansion has events, but the sacred Pool expansion has the most of it.

I'm not saying that you can't play with everything together, but that the cards with the day-night mechanic will be rare to see among all the other cards. Therefore it might be better to remove some mass to make these special cards shine.

In the article there are hints that the Time card will make monsters stronger at Night; I hope this is valid for all Enemies, not only the Enemies that will come with this expansion.

However, I'm surprised by Blood Moon. Lycanthropy is a good idea and better than Goblins, which can be saved for later.

#8 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:04 PM

The_Warlock said:

He looks savage but too slender to be a Barbarian. A Witch Doctor with a flail? still the weapon doesn't belong to the Character. But as Doc Belmont says, this expansion may break the trends...

I think that it is not a witch doctor.

I agree that he is too slender to be a barbarian

It seems he is a new character.

I was thinking about the gravekeeper guy. But could he be a hobbit maybe? He is very short 

The_Warlock said:

I'm not saying that you can't play with everything together, but that the cards with the day-night mechanic will be rare to see among all the other cards. Therefore it might be better to remove some mass to make these special cards shine.

In the article there are hints that the Time card will make monsters stronger at Night; I hope this is valid for all Enemies, not only the Enemies that will come with this expansion.

However, I'm surprised by Blood Moon. Lycanthropy is a good idea and better than Goblins, which can be saved for later.

Yeah, that's true.

You won't see those special day and night adventure cards often in your games, but we still get more than 100 cards!

But that's the problem if you use more expansions to your collection

I don't think you should remove some cards from the game, but you could play one game and use only the reaper etc to experience this new expansion.

I hope too, that the timecard goes for all enemies.  Then the mainboard becomes more dangerous maybe..

I like the Lycanthropy idea too.

And people were already talking about a graveyard, werewolves, undead etc.

If i read the news, it seems that there also undead included

#9 Herbman

Herbman

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:33 PM

Cool expansion! But when are we going to get two new boards!? I wan't it noooow!! And maybe a new Timescape board too? :D

#10 TalismanAttack

TalismanAttack

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:19 PM

Yeah, yeah, all this looks great. But 3 characters? What the heck?

Ugh. Whatever, just... just please let there be more ideas for characters for the next expansions. They're not running out... are they?

And the more they make, the more ridiculous they'll get.

And I'd like to know what fighting potential a gravedigger would have. Are you sure they'd make such a thing? Sounds lame. 

Besides the characters, this expansion looks pretty awesome. Can't wait for its release.

#11 Regulator18

Regulator18

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:09 PM

With his warpaint, top knot of red hair, strange armour and a flail, they could call him a Barbarian, or maybe a Berserker or Fanatic.  And is it just me or on the box art, does it look like he has pointy ears?  With the top knot of hair, his child like face, he almost looks like a Warrior Kender from the Dragonlance books.  

#12 Tree Frog

Tree Frog

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:17 PM

Well, it looks great so far.  But I'm glad I moved all of my Talisman into an old Twilight Imperium box, one box to hold them all. :P 

I do know that when I run games at conventions now, I'm scheduling an into to Talisman with just the base game before throwing newbies into the deep end. :)

I'm looking forward to more boards as well   Maybe we'll get a break in the tradition there as well, instead of City we could get Catacombs or something.  .

#13 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

TalismanAttack said:

Yeah, yeah, all this looks great. But 3 characters? What the heck?

Ugh. Whatever, just... just please let there be more ideas for characters for the next expansions. They're not running out... are they?

And I'd like to know what fighting potential a gravedigger would have. Are you sure they'd make such a thing? Sounds lame. 

Besides the characters, this expansion looks pretty awesome. Can't wait for its release.

3 characters and one werewolf

They are not running out yet.

There are still around 20 characters that we don't have yet.

But the question remains if all those characters will be released.

The characters that i like to see are the Ranger, barbarbian, Halfling, Pirate, and maybe the Satyr.

I am also wondering what the Gravedigger can do 

He should at least have a graveyard ability!

#14 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:10 PM

Regulator18 said:

With his warpaint, top knot of red hair, strange armour and a flail, they could call him a Barbarian, or maybe a Berserker or Fanatic.  And is it just me or on the box art, does it look like he has pointy ears?  With the top knot of hair, his child like face, he almost looks like a Warrior Kender from the Dragonlance books.  

He has indeed pointy ears.

But he could not be a Elf...

I agree that he looks a bit like a Berserker.

If that would be true, then it's a new character class in the Talisman franchise, except that there was a Berserker enemy in Third edition.

#15 JemyM

JemyM

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:46 AM

Interesting.

I suggested Lycantrophy in my post about the Forest expansion (post #42). I wonder if ties into a later large-box expansion for the forest. I connected the idea between forest+werewolves thanks to Dragon Age.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?efpag=2&efid=49&efcid=1&efidt=330044

#16 JemyM

JemyM

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:53 AM

TalismanAttack said:

Are you serious? In the past we got characters like a merchant, minstrel, philosopher, pilgrim, a scientist and a sprite.

#17 Gumshoe_nr1

Gumshoe_nr1

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:54 AM

If you look at the night/day card
javascript:void(0);/*1330782749293*/

you get the feeling it affect ALL enemies as +1/-1. A difference as of 2 in strenght/craft which is resonable.

#18 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:14 AM

Lycanthrope Card

Day/ Night Card

#19 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:51 AM

The_Warlock said:

Now that we have seen the Time card, it seems that it is for all enemies.

It gives a -1 for daylight, and a +1 at night..

#20 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:13 AM

Velhart said:

The_Warlock said:

Now that we have seen the Time card, it seems that it is for all enemies.

It gives a -1 for daylight, and a +1 at night..

All Enemies subtract 1 from their die roll during daylight and add 1 to their die roll during darkness!

Ell.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS