The need for a FAQ on printing homebrew cards and boards

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Redvettez06

Redvettez06

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:51 AM

It would be nice to have a FAQ for how to print homebrew cards and boards. A lot of players in the community either use homebrew materials or would like to. I'd personally would like the see tips on creating/printing cards and boards that are identical (or as close as possible) to the official components. Has someone done this already or would someone be interested in writing one? I just got back into Talisman after a 20 year hiatus and I am interested in figuring it out but I don't want to reinvent the wheel if someone has already done it somewhere else.

#2 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:41 AM

I'll leave Jon New to answer your question. Jon designed the Strange Eons Plugin for Talisman. Have a look at www.talismanisland.com/strange_eons.htm

We are anxiously awaiting the next update for the plugin. Jon has mentioned that we may well be able to design boards with it as well!

Ell.

#3 Redvettez06

Redvettez06

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:42 PM

Wow...I've been on talismanisland a lot but never looked at that because I thought it was only for creating your own original content. Thanks for the info! :)

#4 Redvettez06

Redvettez06

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:23 AM

FYI for those in the states. I went to a FEDEX Office Print and Ship Center (What a stupid name it was formerly called Kinkos) and they were able to nail the character and ending cards with 98% of the weight, look, and feel of the character and ending cards for about $2.50 a sheet here in Alaska. You may be able to get it cheaper at other places.

I am trying to get a hold of Chicago Game and Card because they make custom cards (in different sizes) and they may be able to recreate the look and feel of the adventure cards et al. As far as boards go, the guy at Kinko's had a great idea. He said that one time he had a class project that required him to make a board game. He bought a used board game at a thrift store, printed the top (that he did in photoshop) and glued it to the board (which he had to cut to size). He said that it looked very nice. I had not come across this idea on the forums yet so I figured I would share it. I'll update with pics when I get around to it. Happy gaming :)

#5 Redvettez06

Redvettez06

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:26 AM

Well I couldn't find the edit button so I had to make another reply. Sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself, lol.It's a little hard to make out but the Judgement Day, Demon Lord and Sacred Pool endings (offical cards from the Sacred Pool expansion) are a little lighter (on both sides) than the endings I printed. The printed expansion cards (I used Azoics and the official endings from FF) have the same texture as the expansion cards and are slightly flimsier. Our objective 2 person sample size test draw found that people drawing from a group of fanned out cards (keeping their eyes closed) could not tell the difference. I was able to print all of these for under $10 plus Fed Ex Print Center had a nice rotary cutting tool that was free to use so all the cards are relatively the same size and were cut nicely. I went from 4 endings to 29 pretty quickly, lol. I'll update once I talk to Chicago board games about the adventure cards. 

Alternative ending cards

#6 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:45 AM

That's a lot of endings!

#7 talismanisland

talismanisland

• Members
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:42 AM

That's some nice printing. I am looking to have the "mini Ending" cards printed up professionally, so will report back on that when it happens.

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#8 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:57 AM

Put me in for a set Jon please!

Ell.

#9 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:44 PM

I'd be curious too, of course, to just know how well they come out.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS