Most Ridiculous Encounter

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Walk

Walk

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:39 AM

I am shamelessley coopting a topic introducted by avec in another thread.  Just wanted to get that out of the way.  Anyhow:

What do you think is the single most absurd bit of flavor text in Arkham?  It will probably be an encounter, but feel free to include text from other sources (Mythos cards, character backstories, etc.).  Feel free to include multiple ones if you can't decide between them.  For me, it's this little gem:

"A little old lady stands in front of you in line counting out a bag of pennies to deposit.  Lose 1 Sanity."

I always like to point out that you are far, far, far likelier to go insane from waiting for this old lady than from seeing Cthulhu.  Think about that one for a second.

#2 jgt7771

jgt7771

Saving the world from cosmic evil since 2006

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:01 AM

I LOVE Deputy Dingbat...Dingby.  He'll accidentally lock you in jail in the Police Station, he'll turn Velma's Diner into a disaster area during breakfast, and, best of all, his bumbling will get you SHOT in Dunwich.  I can't help but think that if you followed his family tree, years later you'd end up with Enos.

(I can't include flavor text because, for some reason, my workplace's new firewall prevents my access to the wiki.)

What was that noise?

#3 Slimduck87

Slimduck87

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:01 AM

I once had these two encounters in succesion, made me laugh :D

"Deputy Dingby strides past you with purpose, heading for Osborn's. Make a Luck (-1) check. If you fail, he trips over a stone and his gun goes off, nearly shooting an innocent bystander and sending women and men running. Sadly, it seems the Deputy has sprained his ankle. Sighing, you help him back to the Police Station. Move to the Police Station and have an encounter there. If you pass, he manages to avoid the stone, thanks to your warning, and tosses you $1 for your trouble. "

"Deputy Dingby somehow manages to handcuff the two of you together. Stay here next turn, but you actually gain some valuable information listening to Dingby prattle on until Sheriff Engle returns. Gain 1 Clue Token. "

#4 VinceT

VinceT

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:20 AM

The stone creature pursues you. Pass a Speed -1 check to escape with the statue, gaining $5 and 2 clue tokens. If you fail the creature smashes you off the cliff, you are Lost in Time and Space.

What stone creature? What statue? What cliff?!

Just a prime example of some 'what the hll is going on' moments from Other World encounters.

Another favourite is 'As you prize the idol out from under the psedopod...' No. No, no no. THe last thin I do is go anywhere near anything that has a pseudopod...

#5 Weyoun

Weyoun

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:11 PM

There's a running joke within my group in which we consider certain encounters to have been written in the middle of the night before the game went to printers, imagining some guy -inches away from a nervous breakdown- yelling "Guys, c'mon!!! we're still missing two encounters!! Write something, anything!!!"

There have been a fair amount of really bizarre ones (the aforementioned lady-counting-pennies is a classic), but one sticks to mind because of the effect it had more than the text itself. Back in 2007 some friends and I were playing the game for the very first time. One of the guys, shocked with the way he'd been particularly mistreated by the game in the previous turns, thought it would be a good idea to visit the church, since our first collective assumption was that it would be a calm place to find safe haven in.

He got the "Upon entering the church, you are attacked by Father Michael with a giant cross" encounter.

He has never played the game again ever since.

#6 subochre

subochre

• Members
  • 474 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:51 PM

Along the lines of the penny-counting lady, I've always kind of liked the one at the newspaper where you lose a sanity because of the pattern that forms in some spilled ink. 

I also managed to develop something of a reputation among my friends for my dislike of the Unvisited Isle, having run afoul of the "Pass a Will check or the willows' hatred makes you lose 3 sanity" encounter twice in a row.  But they believed me the next time, when the UI had the fifth clue I needed, and they all kind of rolled their eyes when I started gibbering about the willows, so I went anyways, and guess what? Angry willows.

#7 avec

avec

• Members
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:31 PM

This one that I mentioned in the other thread has got to be the dumbest encounter I've ever seen

Curiositie Shop:  You don't see anyone in the shop, and yet a small army of wind-up toys wheel their way across the floor towards you. Lose 1 Sanity.

Most of Black Goats encounters are pretty awful.  Reading them is like watching a Star Wars prequel. 

This one is dumb, but I can't help but laugh

Hospital:  As you walk through the halls of St. Mary's, a nurse shoves a wheelchair into your legs, forcing you to sit. She wheels you recklessly through the hospital, informing you frequently that you will be "good as new." Then, stopping abruptly, she tips you out of the chair and to the floor, and speeds off. Unbelievably, your Stamina is restored to full.

This one I like quite a bit

Hospital:  One of the staff physicians talks some sense into you. You are disabused of certain crazy but accurate notions. Lose 1 Clue token.

#8 Walk

Walk

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:12 PM

Ah, yes, I love that nurse encounter!  The most amusing bit is the "and speeds off," implying that she's on a constant circuit around the hospital.

If we're talking ridiculous encounters that are also amusing, I (as I think I have said previously) am partial to the Harney Jones' Shack encounters from Miskatonic, since they (along with one of the originals from Dunwich) indicate that he is both an expert monster hunter and one encounter short of dying of old age.

#9 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,604 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

I think my favourite series of encounters went as follows (this was actually while playing the older edition, not FFG's, but it was still great):

I went to the police station, the deputy gave me his gun (for reasons one can only guess at.)  I stayed there for a turn since there was a scary beastie outside and this little peashooter wasn't nearly enough.  The deputy offered to give me a ride (which was great because it got me past the beastie)  A turn or two later I wound up back at the police station, whereupon the deputy immediately arrested me.  I like to think he did it because "I stole his gun." =P

#10 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,216 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:46 AM

Steve-O said:

I like to think he did it because "I stole his gun." =P

::laughter:: too much whisky makes a man's memory bad...

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#11 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:51 AM

Weyoun said:

There's a running joke within my group in which we consider certain encounters to have been written in the middle of the night before the game went to printers, imagining some guy -inches away from a nervous breakdown- yelling "Guys, c'mon!!! we're still missing two encounters!! Write something, anything!!!"

There have been a fair amount of really bizarre ones (the aforementioned lady-counting-pennies is a classic), but one sticks to mind because of the effect it had more than the text itself. Back in 2007 some friends and I were playing the game for the very first time. One of the guys, shocked with the way he'd been particularly mistreated by the game in the previous turns, thought it would be a good idea to visit the church, since our first collective assumption was that it would be a calm place to find safe haven in.

He got the "Upon entering the church, you are attacked by Father Michael with a giant cross" encounter.

He has never played the game again ever since.

...  I found this completely hilarious.

#12 jgt7771

jgt7771

Saving the world from cosmic evil since 2006

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:14 AM

subochre said:

and they all kind of rolled their eyes when I started gibbering about the willows, so I went anyways, and guess what? Angry willows.

In the ancient days of yore--that is, back when all I had was the base game--I introduced the game to my pal Pizza.  (We still play to this day.)  When there were so few Encounter cards per neighborhood, repetition was almost guaranteed.  It got to the point where we would begin to yelp the specifically despised Encounter at many Locations in some attempt to have the Universe dispel them before drawing, like "BATS!" at the Black Cave, or "GYPSIES!" at Independence Square.  It was terrifying how often that seemed to SUMMON the damn card instead!

Thankfully, this issue was eventually diluted away, and a more generalized superstition of "Don't Say It Out Loud!" was adapted.  But every once in a while, I'll still belt out a "BATS!" when Pizza's drawing at the Cave, to which he will usually bark loudly, "No!  Shut up!"

What was that noise?

#13 satanito

satanito

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:19 PM

You come upon a cavern filled with human brains, if you were to eat, them maybe you could also consume the knowledge the contain! Make a Lore (-1) check. If you pass, you may lose sanity to take clue tokens, at a rate of 2 sanity each.

Cavern? brains? success!

#14 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,579 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

satanito said:

You come upon a cavern filled with human brains. If you were to eat them, maybe you could also consume the knowledge they contain

What kind of slapdash logic is this??

#15 arkhamresident

arkhamresident

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:27 AM

Tibs said:

satanito said:

You come upon a cavern filled with human brains. If you were to eat them, maybe you could also consume the knowledge they contain

Brains is where the knowings are... eat brains get smarts.

The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.

Mark Twain

#16 subochre

subochre

• Members
  • 474 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:30 AM

I still don't understand...but I have an idea.  Hold still for a second

#17 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:38 AM

subochre said:

I still don't understand...but I have an idea.  Hold still for a second

;'D

#18 mageith

mageith

• Members
  • 733 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:45 PM

Tibs said:

satanito said:

It's not bad logic. Certain civilizations still believe it.  It IS bad science.

#19 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,579 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:04 AM

Well, I don't think our New England 1920s investigators are part of that civilization!

#20 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:17 AM

Akachi Oneyle. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS