• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Shanobi

Shanobi

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:28 AM

Hey guys, couple quick questions.

(1) To put it simply can a mage use magic in a single turn? as in can they accumulate the 50 they need and also use the 50 to cast? or must they accumulate for one turn and then cast the next.

(2) can a wizard mentalist (or anyone for that matter) use both a magic spell and a psychic attack the same turn? if yes can do they face a penalty?

(3) What level should your pc's be at roughly before you start to give them +5 or more quality weapons? I made the mistake of giving one of my pc's a +10 scythe at level 1 and regreted it as he just ran through everything swinging left and right. 

and, (4) i am a fan of capping the magic my mage PC's can use at lv 1 by half of their magic level, but how quickly should i raise it? I thought that 6 levels (as in if they had a max of 50 in water lets say and i say at level one you only can use up to level 24 in the path but now you are lv 2 and you can use up to lv 30 in the path) seemed alright, 3 new spells seems fine, but one of my PC's really thought this was too slow. Thoughts?

thanks friends

#2 F3nr1s

F3nr1s

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:29 AM

1) Yes, if he can accumulate 50 Zeon per turn, he can accumulate and cast a spell with 50 Zeon or less per turn.

2) Yes, he can. But this are two active actions (except he casts a passiv spell or uses a passiv psychic ability (if there are any)). So, the first active action would be without penalty, the second with a -25 penalty (the third with a -50 penalty and so on). Also: You must have more than one action per turn and the this depends on the Agi and Dex value. The Table 37 describes it (page 79, Core book)

3) My PCs are level 3 and have no quality equipment. But I don't have a rule for this, If one PC has the artifact-advantage, I would give them +5 to +15, for the equipment.

4) There I have absolute no rule. If you think, about 3 spells per level is the right thing, and you are the GM, than 3 spells per level are exactly the right thing, but one of my PCs gets about the same spells per level.

So long,

#3 Raybras

Raybras

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:08 AM

4) 3 spells per level is not necessarily the right thing. in arcana exxet there is a table that shows learning speeds dependant on ML spent to learn spells. early levels, 3 spells per level is fine, but once you hit higher levels, you may want to raise this number. a level 5 mage should be able to have a path at 80 if he has not learned any paths(by my opinion) or maybe have an 80 path and a 20 path. my 2 cents

#4 Lia Valenth

Lia Valenth

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:48 PM

Lets see,

3) Quality equipment is a difficult thing to determine, and it depends a lot on how high powered the campaign is. By level 5 I had a player who could make +15 items in 1 week, if he had the equipment, and +10 items in a day easily, although the metal needed is Uncommon, Uncommon is not too hard to find. In my opinion +10 equipment at level 1 is fine if you pay CP for it (with the Wealth or Artifact advantage), maybe even +15 for 3CP. If you do not pay CP level 3 for +5, level 6 for +10 and level 9 for +15 (level +/-1) sound like good levels for a normal campaign,.

4) I am a big fan of the wizard, and have to agree with your player, 3 spells a level is way too slow most of the time. As per why that is, some math;
Lets assume the wizard starts with 11INT (lower than I like to personally). This starts them with about 35 spell levels (1/2 of 75), then they increase their INT by +1 at level 2 (giving +25 Spell Levels). If you allow them to learn 6 spell levels of spells they now know 41/100 spell levels. Two levels later they have 53 spell levels known, but with another +1 INT at level 4 they now have 150 spell levels maximum, so they only have 1/3rd (53/150) of what they could learn, less than the percent they started with.

As you can see going that slow will never allow you to catch up to your maximum, and will actually decrease the percentage you have of your spell levels invested. If you allow 6/level/level (12 at level 2, 18 at level 3, 24 at level 4, etc.) you still will not reach your max till level 13-ish (albeit this could work quite well for what you want). But does reaching your maximum matter? That depends on the other classes. Now, I would like to note that this is only my opinion, but here is what I think;

If you place this limit on wizards you should keep the limit for all classes, and by that I mean at the same percent. So someone using MK should use the same percent of their MK as a wizard has of his spell levels, and a psychic should be the same with PP (this has always been a problem, they limit wizards and MK users at 50% of their ability at level 1 but a mentalist can be fully invested), at least with invested PP. Summoners are difficult, but you can make limits somehow.
So, if a wizard can only learn 6 spell levels per level, and they have say 41/100 spell levels at level 2, or 41%, then MK users should not be allowed to have more than 41% of his MK invested. So a technician that has not bought any more MK would only be able to use 41/100MK at level 2, but if they bought 80 more MK they would be able to use 73/180.
Although this seems against the spirit of the game as written (it seems to be made to reach your max MK and spell levels by level 3) as GM you can make a lot of changes as long as they are consistent. Weakening one class without weakening all of them is unbalancing.

EDIT: Having re-read your entry I may have misunderstood the question. Was your question how many spell levels they should be able to spend, or how high in any specific book they should be able to know?

#5 Shanobi

Shanobi

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:05 PM

Thanks everyone for quick response!

I really like all of you ideas, i just have one question for Lia Valenth, i thought that as a human you couldn't get a skill above 10? It has an example of like a warrior in the book who has a STR of 11 but only applies the bonus to the carry weight and attack power or something, is that what you do but just for path level? Also for a bit of background the PC i am talking about had a 9 INT and used the lv 2 bonus to bump it to 10. I had an idea that perhaps they can raise their magic level by their INT score per level, what do you guys think of that? then it could be 10 levels (5 spells) rather than 6(3).

THanks again

#6 Lia Valenth

Lia Valenth

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:17 PM

Mental Attributes are not subject to the same rules as Physical Attributes, the general agreement is that Physical Attributes can get up to 11 and Mental Attributes can get up to 13 without Inhumanity, 13 Physical and 15 Mental without Zen. But there is no official ruling I know of. There have been a lot of arguments about this over time, and page 9, about halfway through the first paragraph about Limits on Human Attributes until the end goes over this.

My question is what do you mean by raise the level? If you mean the maximum they can spend in Spell Levels I disagree, but if you mean raise the maximum level they can have in any book this is actually a rather good idea.

If you come from D&D before Anima (as most people who start Anima seem to) it should be noted that level 10 in Anima is like level 20 in D&D, and in effect every level in Anima equals two levels in D&D. If you did not play D&D beforehand the point is that by level 10 they should be about as strong as possible, a level 10 is the epitome of skill and most campaigns will probably not go that far. So they should be able to have 100 spell levels in any book by that time (albeit they could not cast them without the Gnosis).

#7 Raybras

Raybras

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:35 PM

another thing you could do is work it in a percentage of max ML.

level 1 50% of max ML

level 2 60% of max ML

etc Level 6 100% of max ML

#8 Shanobi

Shanobi

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:33 AM

@ Lia- Ah, i get it, thanks. I had forgotten about those rules for some reason

@Raybras- I really like that meathod, i think i'm going to do that :) more or less max power by lv. 6 would be fine i think.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS