Photo

The Enemy Within is coming to 3ed, it's official!

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Doc, the Weasel

Doc, the Weasel

Pretending to be many, many things.

• Members
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:06 AM

Here is the announcement

Bo

Ya

Listen to my actual play podcasts at BeggingForXP.com.

Take a look at my Talent Trees (Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion), YT-2400 deck plans for the Lazy Bantha, as well as my other handouts.

#2 No:12

No:12

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:20 AM

Hi,

Very, very happy indeed.

If it finishes with the start of the Storm of Chaos I will be overjoyed.

Now the bad bit, waiting....

#3 k7e9

k7e9

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:31 AM

Wonderful, wounderful, WONDERFUL!

I'm really excited about these news, so now we just have to wait.

"With enough material for more than thirty [my emphasis] sessions, The Enemy Within engages players in a thrilling series of adventures"

From the sound of it, the campaign will be grand indeed.

#4 Doc, the Weasel

Doc, the Weasel

• Members
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:37 AM

Strangely, my favorite part is this:

"Additionally, you’ll find ... optional starting backgrounds for player characters starting into the adventure from scratch."

Take a look at my Talent Trees (Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion), YT-2400 deck plans for the Lazy Bantha, as well as my other handouts.

#5 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:52 AM

Excellent..... something to use for a new group of characters as my current group of players heads to retirement/hospice or Chaos Wastes by that time.

#6 Nisses

Nisses

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:53 AM

Hmm, 

At 30 sessions I'm not sure I'll ever be able to really bring this thing to the table though. THat'd be about 3 years or roleplaying for us these days :)

Still, nice to see the classic being freshened up. Might pick it up just to keep my collection complete.

#7 Romus

Romus

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:09 AM

This is awesome news!  But I was about to run this just after Eye for an Eye with my new group, now I am tempted to wait. 

#8 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:15 AM

I'm excited..but..isn't this the 3rd time this scenario series has been reproduced? ;) 

Thankfully, we abandoned our bid to run this earlier last year..now I'll have a campaign :)

jh

#9 Glorian Underhill

Glorian Underhill

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:21 AM

Hell I'm excited! I wonder what the part means that this will stand as a standard for the Adventures they will release. So their Product cycle might swing really into bringing more adventures and less rules.

Also if Heros Call is their 1st Quarter product, and The enemy Within their 3rd one. Will there be a summer, 2nd Quarter, release?

#10 ezradenney

ezradenney

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:26 AM

Romus, I am in the same boat. I have been working on converting the old TEW to 3rd edition for my group (this will be their first WFRP game!) and now I am tempted to sort of tread water & do a bunch of smaller things. Alternatively, depending on how "inspired by" it is, maybe I try to run it after I am done with the big daddy?

Hmm. But, I am super excited for the new module, it looks awesome!

#11 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:31 AM

It sounds more inspired/remade/rebooted (cf Star Trek/BSG), the original didn't focus on Averland Elector did it?

But we must have an Edict of Toleration for Mutants!  That's such a lovely "cat among the pigeons".

#12 Necrozius

Necrozius

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:39 AM

AAAH excellent. I really look forward to this.

And now that I'm no longer a playtester, it is fun to be surprised for once. I had no idea that this was coming out!!

#13 Doc, the Weasel

Doc, the Weasel

• Members
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:40 AM

I'm guessing, while not the same story, it will have situations similar enough that it may feel like a retread if you have just played the original. 

Not that I see that as a problem. There's only so many long-form campaigns with huge, overarching conspiracies that you can run before your players want something new. 

It would be like following up Gathering Storm with another small town where it is always raining. Sure, it's a different story with different threats and the players will still be surprised by what happens, but it's going to feel like doing the same stuff over again.

#14 Gitzman

Gitzman

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:49 AM

So very exciting indeed. 

I wonder, with the 30 sessions of content, will it be split into 3 parts similar to the older iterations of the editions primary campaign?  I have a hard time seeing this much content in a single supplement.  I'd expect instead to maybe see it over 3 supplements. 

An example might be The Gathering Storm which had 3 - 4 adventures which was roughly 10 sessions worth of play.  I just cant see 3 times the content in a single box.

My guess is this is part one of a three parter.

Gitzman

#15 Doc, the Weasel

Doc, the Weasel

• Members
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:02 AM

Gitzman said:

My guess is this is part one of a three parter.

It's listed on the Products page as a single product, $59.99. 

That's going to be a big box.

#16 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:14 AM

It is noted to be 30 nights worth.  I think The Gathering Storm was indicated to be about 10.  We finished it in 3 nights.  Hopefully we get a bit longer campaign :)

jh

#17 Saint&Sinner

Saint&Sinner

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:21 AM

It says there are to be three adventures and an epilogue in the box.

#18 Romus

Romus

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:22 AM

Can't wait to learn more about this guy...

#19 Gambin

Gambin

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:53 AM

Emirikol said:

It is noted to be 30 nights worth.  I think The Gathering Storm was indicated to be about 10.  We finished it in 3 nights.  Hopefully we get a bit longer campaign :)

jh

Finished it in three nights?!  Wow!  How long were your play times?  My group are on their eleventh session and just about to start the the second from last bit.  Each session is generally about 3-4 hours long too.

Each time I say to myself that I wont buy anymore for this product they release something that gets my whiskers twitching and full of roleplay excitement. 

#20 Johannes_Tippmeister

Johannes_Tippmeister

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:16 AM

Doc, the Weasel said:

(..)
It would be like following up Gathering Storm with another small town where it is always raining. Sure, it's a different story with different threats and the players will still be surprised by what happens, but it's going to feel like doing the same stuff over again.

My thoughts, precisely. Which makes this a hard decision for me, really. I'll buy the box, obviously. If Graeme Davis (Shadows over Bögenhafen) is involved, it is bound to be a worthy re-make. I have no doubts it will be an excellent campaign in its own rights.

But which one should I pick for my group? I assume, as you do, that you can't run both with a single group of players. I still have the grubby 1st edition books of Mistaken Identity, Shadows over Bögenhafen, Death on the Reik and so on sitting on my shelf. I game-mastered this campaign fanatically in the early 90s. I *really* enjoyed the early parts and I'd hate to give up a good Bögenhafen sewer-crawl and the madness of Castle Wittgenstein, even if the re-make provides excellent alternatives.

Hmpf.

If I had two groups, then it'd be easy. Alas, work barely permits playing twice a month. :-(

How will you guys handle this?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS