Eltharion the Grim

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Ellyrik

Ellyrik

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:39 AM

Do you realize that with Eataine War Room it deals 10 indirect damage every turn beginning with the next turn?!!!

#2 Vitamin T

Vitamin T

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:21 AM

Yeah, you can use him to add a counter back onto it and then remove it at the start of your next turn if it is still in play.

#3 Titan

Titan

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:00 AM

The big trick will be getting there since it is a pretty expensive combo and then keeping both cards in play.

#4 Kaine82

Kaine82

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:15 AM

Warhammer Invasion

I'm not fan of any of the capital centers. Seems like a lot of work only to have your dreams dashed by a Burn It Down

Play LCGs in Louisville KY :: Monthly tournaments at 2 locations!

Wednesdays :: Something2Do :: 6:30PM - 10:00PM

Fridays :: BluegrassMagic GameShop :: 6:30 PM - Midnight

RSVP :: meetup.com/cardboardgamers

#5 Ellyrik

Ellyrik

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:43 AM

Fortunately it can be countered but even only one time is strong

#6 Jowimus

Jowimus

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:38 AM

Kaine82 said:

Warhammer Invasion

I'm not fan of any of the capital centers. Seems like a lot of work only to have your dreams dashed by a Burn It Down

Yes, but atleast the High Elves have pretty solid abilities to counter it with High Elf Disdain. And they may be able to pull this stuff off a little faster with that new eagle card in the last set (can't remember the name...?).

#7 Doc9

Doc9

• Members
  • 450 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:40 AM

Yeah...if I was going to play a combo like that I would likely keep my Disdain for anything that tried to take out my War Room. Maybe even try a dual build with Dwarf loyalty so that I could put a Rune of Disguise on the War Room. It is doable...but who is going to be the first one to do it?

#8 Kaine82

Kaine82

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:51 AM

Warhammer Invasion

Speed is the reason High Elves are always talked about as being the worst faction. It takes time to set up one of their combos and when their high cost cards hit the table they are swept to the KO pile with a Wight Lord or Burn It Down.

I love building multiple faction decks and know from experience how loyalty can bite you in the butt. I cringe a little when I see effects trigger off loyalty symbols because of their deck building restrictiveness(although from talking to my friends that play the table top game understand this is thematic).

Maybe I'm being short sighted on this one, but I can't see a dual faction deck using either Legends or Capital Centers being that effective in a competitive environment. They would just be too slow.

#9 Mallumo

Mallumo

• Members
  • 466 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:32 PM

Don't obsess over the War Room. El (I will be his bodyguard, so I can call him El) has great synergy with plenty of cards already, and with the increased focus on quests and legends in the cycle there surely will be even more. Getting him out isn't the problem, the High Elves can be very fast, it's just that so far they had nowhere to go with this beyond putting all their eggs in one dragon-shaped basket. El gives me hope they'll finally get their moment in the sun with this cycle. Of course, Empire will probably get a legend that costs 1 and gives you 7 power in every zone, but one can dream. 

#10 gr4ffi

gr4ffi

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:35 PM

Inflame should do the speed in combination with the legend and the center. HE is coming.

#11 Ramas

Ramas

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:56 AM

War Room is still nice for combo with its 4 tokens. You just need one other token in the game and you can deal 10 (or more damge with outpost) with just 3 ressources.  The possibilty with the additional 10 damage each round is just a nice bonus.

#12 Kaine82

Kaine82

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:10 PM

Great synergy, but capital centers take too long to go off and are too susceptible to support hate. It won't hit the table until turn 2 at the earliest and then gives your opponent 4 turns after that to blow it up. 

Too slow and too vulnerable.

#13 Ramas

Ramas

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:29 PM

With this Legend in game i wouldn't play the war room because of its own action. I would play it because of its tokens.

Example:

You play "Follow the Portent" + "Envoy from Averlorn" + Develpoment -> 1 token

Then you play the War Room -> 4 tokens

You use the first action of this Legend -> 1 token

Then you use the second Action of this legend twice:  5+5 Damage (or 6+6 with an outpost)

If your opponet doesn't dispose the War Room before your next turn you can give it 1token and trigger its action. If he does you can play a second War room and deal another 5+5 Damage.

You can spice things up with "Ithilmar arrows" or "Citdal of Dusk" so you can deal at least 15 Damge each turn beginning from the third. Not too shaby in my opinion.

With the right cards in your hand you could even start this your second turn.

#14 Ellyrik

Ellyrik

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:06 PM

Eltharion is only an option. If you don't draw him early Follow the portent is useless.

I think trying to build a whole strategy around him is a mistake.

#15 gr4ffi

gr4ffi

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:14 AM

"Eltharion is only an option. If you don't draw him early Follow the portent is useless. I think trying to build a whole strategy around him is a mistake."

What you're basically saying with this is: Building up a strategy around a single card is a waste of time :) Well, how is it coming Verena and RTF Decks are the best tournament decks ever? I agree with the fact, that not drawing an important card  early makes your game much worse and you will allways have the worst case, when your 3 copies of that card are found in the last 10 cards of your pile... bad luck. But in my eyes the Eltharion Deck could maybe be the strongest option for HE in the next cycle. Also who knows... they might get some decent additions for this strategy to be more flexible.

I also do like the "get 3 gold" effect. That way you can spam cards that will come out with 3 or more tokens on them.

#16 Kaine82

Kaine82

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:32 AM

has anyone actually tested a deck with War room? I'd like to see the list and also like to know how often it ends up as a development.

#17 Ramas

Ramas

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:24 AM

HE aren't exactly the worst faction in manipulating what you will draw next.

Follow the portent wouldn't be useless.

-It will give you extra tokens for more damage as soon as the Eltharion  is in the game.

-It can give you a token the turn it enters the game. (unlike many other quests)

-It is a quest so it is hard to get rid of it.

-It can help you to get the Eltharion earlier.

-Its Action is so medicore that the unit questing on it wouldn't be the first aim for unit destruction so your tokens are somewhat save.

Eltharion's first Action is nice since he can get tokens from Elven Scouts. So even if you have to use "Flames of the Phoenix" at some point you can collect the tokens and dash put some more damage.

Flames would be a nice addtion anyway since you can use all your Elven scouts and Silver Helm Detachment again after using their tokens.

I would really love to play such a deck. Sounds like a lot of fun.

#18 Kaine82

Kaine82

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:15 AM

Deck list please(with link to deckbox.org)

#19 Kaine82

Kaine82

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:37 AM

Why is everyone so shy about posting deck lists on here?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS