This move makes no sense

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 BobtheEnforcer

BobtheEnforcer

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:25 PM

So, moving the world championships away from the largest game convention in North America and to the FFG event center in Minnesota is going to make the tournaments more global? FFG seriously thinks people are more likely to travel to the USA to spend a weekend at a game store, rather than at a 35,000 person event? The largest industry event in the USA that supports the games they are trying to generate world championship players for?

Somebody please tell me how Minnesota is more international than Indiana. You're going to lose all the players who go to Gen Con for many reasons, and play FFG world championship events because they happen to be there. Those people are likely not going to make a separate trip to Minnesota. This will destroy attendance at the tournaments.  They will become local events because you've removed your built-in player base at Gen Con, whose attendees come from all around the world already.

I can't understand this decision at all. It's a huge slap in the face to all of the people who have been playing the world championships at Gen Con every year, supporting FFG. Now they are demanding a separate flight, hotel accommodations etc. just to play at the FFG event center?

Wow.

#2 Jowimus

Jowimus

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:27 AM

I made a similar post in the Dust Tactics forum. I have really been looking forward to the World Championships at Gencon (a trip I make annually with many of my friends). Its simply not possible to make a completely seperate trip to Roseville to just play Dust for the additional cost of $1000+ dollars.

I also agree with your thoughts that foreign visitors would likely much rather visit an event with 35000 gamers and hundreds of events in the nice August weather than a FFG only event with tens of gamers, a limited number of events they can play, when the weather is getting colder....for virtually the same cost.

Maybe there is some kind of other information that we are missing here?

#3 Hastur

Hastur

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:01 AM

I do have a couple of thoughts:

1. November weather in Minnesota may ruin the best laid plans of mice and men.

2. What events will there be at GenCon?

3. Will there be other events at the Worlds?

#4 jhagen

jhagen

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:18 AM

going to gen con this year, please reconsider ffg.

its 8 hours to indy. and 8 more from indy to minnesota.

please dont make me drive through chicago.

lol

#5 Hybrid

Hybrid

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:43 AM

The last two years I've driven to Regional events at the FFG Event Center 0-2 participants showed up besides our group! I wish FFG luck with what seems like a very risky move. The number of participants for Cthulhu Worlds has grown every year. I really hope that this trend does not reverse with this decision. The announcement makes a lot of claims with no real explanation of how moving it to Minnesota will achieve a boon rather than bust. I too would like to hear what new events will replace Worlds at GenCon. I for one have already arranged my vacation for GenCon but it remains to be seen if I will even be able to get time off for a total of 24hrs of driving for just a half day event. I really pray that this is not a total disaster.

#6 Gardine

Gardine

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:32 AM

As a foreigner who wants to play worlds, for me its not that important that this event takes place at a location with 35000 people. Seems to be a bit stressy with so many people hanging around.

Why should I pay entry for Gen Con, if I sit at a table playing cards the whole day?

I believe that it really is an amazing event, but for playing a world championship it has to much people and is to expensive for foreigners who come just for the worlds.

Now you have northern american championships at that event. actually that is the same tournament with another name but same players and location. And you can qualify for worlds where you meet champs from other nations. Thats ok too, isnt it?

#7 TheProfessor

TheProfessor

• Members
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:36 AM

Regarding GenCon, as the bard wrote, "a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."  I don't care if it is called "World Championship" or "North American Championship" - I want to have a competitive tournament with other good and friendly players.  I can't imagine that changing because the title changed.  

And I can understand why non-Americans feel like we should just have a continental or regional championship and the opportunity for the local champions to face each other for a world title.  That seems reasonable to me.  Something other companies have done is have North American championships at Origins and World Championships at GenCon, but it is a similar idea underpinning the plan.

As for Worlds in Minnesota, well that's different.  I suspect that will not be well attended, but I hope I am wrong.

#8 Jowimus

Jowimus

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:19 AM

I may have spoke a little too soon. I'm very happy that there will be a major tournament at Gencon. I still think that having worlds in Minnessota is a mistake, but its not nearly as bad as not having any tournament at all, which is what it seemed like until recently.

"Why should I pay entry for Gen Con, if I sit at a table playing cards the whole day?"

Well. If I gave you two options:

a) Travel thousands of miles, pay thousands of dollars in airfare, lodging, etc. And the ONLY event going on is your one tournament, which will likely be poorly attended. Total cost: $2000

or

b) Travel thousands of miles, pay thousands of dollars in airfare, lodging, etc. Be able to attend hundreds of events with gamers from all over the world in downtime before/after tournaments. The main event will be well attented because it will be more accessible to more gamers. Total cost: $2065.

I know which one the vast majority of people would choose.

Regardless, I'm very excited about the North American Championships and think they 4 or 5 guys from my gaming circle will be coming up with me to play in  the events.

#9 badash56

badash56

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:54 AM

Also very happy that there will be big events at GenCon.  I already had my trip booked and was worried I'd have to cancel.  Still mulling over a trip to Minnesota.

#10 JerusalemJones

JerusalemJones

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:46 AM

I'm not sure why everyone thinks the FFG Worlds event will be less attended? This event is taking place the weekend when Days of Ice and Fire used to take place. Last year, there were 42 players in the Joust tournament. When I was at Gen Con in 2010, they drew that same number for Worlds.

From what I can tell, the Gen Con events are not changing in prize support, only what the event is called (although it is possible that instead of in the case of Thrones there will only be one card designed by the overall winner instead of three, but that remains to be seen). CoC and W:I will still get their champion cards from Gen Con, and from Worlds as well. This seems like a win-win. Gen Con events still have the prize and lure they had before, and we now have a new world-level event. One that national champions will be able to attend on FFG's dime, from the sound of things.

To be fair, I do live in Minnesota (about 1-1/2 hours from the FFG Event Center), and I've attended both Days and Arkham Nights. At Arkham Nights there was a guy I played with who flew in from Quebec. I don't know if it was Days, but a buddy of mine talked of a guy who came over from Australia. People have proven they will travel to MN in October/November, if the draw is important enough.

Let us look at what we are getting: superior support for Regional and National level events, including foreign National events, and a new World tier event held at an FFG organized location where they can control the atmosphere and not have to compete with multiple other games in the same arena. Are some people not going to make it to worlds this year. Yes, of course. Most people plan well in advance which large scale events they plan to attend. Will some people not be able to make the Worlds event ever? Yes, that is a strong possibility as well. But, we are getting something new, and this also shows that FFG is listening to the player community concerns and wants to improve their OP program and experience. To me, this is a good thing.

The down side is as it always has been -- combining all the events under the same roof at the same time. This means someone who plays multiple LCGs and mini games has to choose which game they will compete in, Also, the Event Center can't hold 40-50 people for each game, so either they will beusing additional space in the building they are in or holding events at other locations.

OR, we could all be wrong, and the Worlds event could be invite only (I hope not). But I think that would open more complaints that it would close.

#11 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:55 AM

Just be grateful that a lot of you live in North America or can afford to go on a holiday to visit either Gen-Con or the FFG centre. Looking over the list of international events there is a mere ONE event happening in the UK. That's pretty crazy if you ask me. I really wish FFG would focus more on their international neighbours instead of just their own back yard.

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper.

Only those that prosper may truly judge what is sane.

#12 FredhoT

FredhoT

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:18 AM

Winning a regional championship will offer you a ticket to the Worlds... great, ...if it only were still during the GenCon. I'd be much more interested in a free trip to US during summer than during late fall...

Anyway, first I thought t he closest Regional (France) would be held in Paris, but finally Edge (FFG distributor in France/Spain) moved it to TOURS which is too far for me for a LCG tournament. And this "regional" is not even listed in the Regionals... strange...

#13 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:56 AM

Here's some statistics for anyone bothering to read this thread from FFG...

Minnesota has an area of 225,181 km² and a population of 5,344,86, with a density of 25.9/km².

South east england has an area 19,096 km² of and a population of 8,000,550, with a density of 419/km². This isn't including the capital city of London and it's surrounding districts, which while a measly 1,572 km² has a population of 7,753,600 and thus a density of 4,932/km².

I have never been able to comprehend why FFG are not pushing their products harder in an area that contains a full quarter of Englands population and strong transportation links to mainland Europe. Paris is the only bigger city in Europe, and that's a tiny 2.5 hours by train through the Channel Tunnel, so hosting some sort of European league event in either London or Paris would make a LOT of sense.

Every time FFG post vacancies on the news page i get my hopes up that they might have finally opened an international office outside of the US, but every single time i get my hopes dashed and lose faith in the company all over again.

Sort it out guys.

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper.

Only those that prosper may truly judge what is sane.

#14 dennisharlien

dennisharlien

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:45 AM

Wow I see a lot of hate about the move from Gencon to FFG home. I for one absolutly LOVE the change. I plan to attend and have not gone to the big waiste of money that is called Gencon in 4 years. I realised that I wasx spending a rediculous amount of money to go to gencon to play in the tournements for the games I enjoy and little else. Thet ment I was dealing with the added cost of getting into gencon, plus the increased rates of stay during the event, just to play in AGoT worlds, other FFg games,  and Privateer press events. This trip will be FAR cheaper less crowded with people who could care less about the games I am there for.  Alos in a venue designed specifically for this type of play. Not to mention with the close proximity to FFG logistics on there part must be far easier and cheaper so they can do even more. I for one am all for it.

Dennis Harlien

2013 SWLCG World Champion

#15 Kyu Kage

Kyu Kage

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:59 PM

Kasatka said:

Just be grateful that a lot of you live in North America or can afford to go on a holiday to visit either Gen-Con or the FFG centre. Looking over the list of international events there is a mere ONE event happening in the UK. That's pretty crazy if you ask me. I really wish FFG would focus more on their international neighbours instead of just their own back yard.

At least the UK gets some events from Companies, and even has a couple that run excellent events (ie - Mongoose).

What irks me is that the Southern Hemisphere gets nothing.

I also agree with you that I would hope someone opens some offices outside the United States for the more globally active companies.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS