Game demos?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Wolvercote

Wolvercote

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:01 AM

So I was looking over the event schedule for Total Confusion this upcoming weekend.  Certainly a large, well-attended gaming convention in New England.  No WFRP events scheduled which is disappointing as I was hoping to get into my first game.  How about a demo perhaps I thought.  Nope.  No demos or FFG presence either.

Marketing 101 - Support your product lines.  You can't just throw them out there and hope.  You have to nurture and encourage your product line. 

Truly disappointing.

#2 New Zombie

New Zombie

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:05 AM

not exactly a list of top tier RPG exhibitors there.

#3 dvang

dvang

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:40 AM

I see 8 confirmed exhibitors, none of which are large companies. I don't see WoTC, Paizo, or Green Ronin, for example.

So, as far as FFG actually attending... well, honestly it doesn't look like it is a big enough convention to make the expense of sending folks there cost effective.

As far as demos ... generally events at conventions are run by players, not the company itself.

#4 Wolvercote

Wolvercote

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:55 AM

I think FFG is missing out on building their audience by not having a dedicated game demo staff.  Beyond WFRP which is my main request, the company in general should consider creating some regional sales/demo reps.  I'll happily send in my resume if they ever do.  Seriously though, this product needs an infusion of marketing support beyond ads. 

#5 flyndad

flyndad

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:07 PM

I am with you on this DEMO thing,..

Why can't this company take a hint from Pazio or even Wyrd for that matter? 

I have often thought about just starting a nationwide fan based support structure for WFRP3e.  (with total goose egg support form FG or GW of course) There are many, many things that could be done to help this game regarding player numbers, but they just don't have a clue how to deal with RPG games. 

Let's face it. FFG is a BOARD game company that wants to be a RPG publisher, but these guys couldn't market an RPG to save their lives,…  They have the money to hire on really great designers and writers, that is obvious with the actual content of their RPG games, but that content alone just doesn't cut it anymore,.. not today, not in this market. 

I had become sooo fed up with the total lack of support from FFG after nearly 2 years of looking for other players that I decided to look at other games. One of the games I looked into was Malifaux ( I know it isn't REALLY an RPG but the point is the same).

I thought I would check it out and went to their web site. …. I saw on their website this thing called the "henchman" program (guys that know about the game and help newbies) I saw that there was a "henchman" in my general area. I clicked on his name and got his email address.

……….  What happened next????  ……….

Less than 20 min. later I received a reply, he invited me to a game store where they play every so often. I went. He was there. 2 days later I had purchased 2 crews and a rulebook. (He let me borrow his personal rulebook for the week btw, why,.. that is what he is supposed to do,.. the "company" supplies him with what he needs (within reason of course) to help get new players into the game. and guess what,… IT WORKS!!   ARE YOU LISTENING FFG !!!!!! 

Bottom line,.. in less than a week I was able to acomplish with Malifaux what I had NOT been able to acomplish with WFRP3e in 2 YEARS!!  NOT because it is a better game, but the "company" gives a crap about getting new people into the game.

FFG on the other hand, either could less about WFRP3e, or, it is already selling "good enough" and they could care less if it sells any better,… either way it is obvious they just don't care because it is just TOO DARN EASY to get a national group of super fans organized to actaully be AT THE LAGS to help folks with WFRP3e. 

There would be MANY people lining up to participate in a program like that, the problem is,… FFG… not the game itself,…  and it would cost them what?? Pay one guy maybe 10k a year to organize it all,.. piece of cake,…  

C'MON "COMPANY" !!!  Let's get with the program already!  Learn from those around you that are successful,..  DUH !!    

#6 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:46 AM

Yes, it would be good to see new demo material out there for the game, but alas, it is up to the fans to get this stuff done.

Every time I've run WFRP3 at conventions, i've had sell-outs with additional people wanting to get in, yet I can't get other GMs to run it.  There's been ONE other person here in Denver who has run it and he did the full Monty with it (drug out all his cards and everything..which I wouldn't do..I'd use photocopies).

If you GMs step up, people WILL play!!!  Just be smart about protecting your stuff and make your pre-generated characters with a minimum of cards.

As it appears that they are going to at least try to run the intor to the enemy within at GenCon (which only makes sense for GMs to play), this is a GIANT LEAP compared to the absolute standoffishness that they've had towards running WFRP at conventions ove th past 4 years.  Better some than none I suppose, but it's simply the case where FFG is going in so many directions that they simply cannot handle a game like WFRP other than to put out cardboard with words on it.  FFG is NOT known as an RPG company and you don't see the staff running WFRP or other RPGs in general.  Their representation at GenCon is the only one of its kind.  They have in-store activities, but they are mostly just initial-release parties to launch a line for which I don't know if I've seen any follow-up support.

They CAN pull this off, but will they?

On the brighter side there are some rumors on the horizon:  http://www.p-mi.com/...1&t=58&start=10

jh

#7 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:47 PM

Origins:  http://www.originsga...94/Default.aspx

#6562 : Uninvited Guests $4 / 4:00 
Hyatt - Champaign - Table 2 -- Your lord has arranged a pleasant dinner party to rise to the right social circles. But things didn't go as he hoped. [Warhammer Fantasy 
Roleplay] Basic complexity / Ages 18+ / 6 seats. (Hosted by Matinee Adventures) Run by Matinee Adventures

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS