• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Uhohorcs

Uhohorcs

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:14 AM

Hi all

I am a bit confused about cohesion, if someone could throw me a lifeline here, TY.

The leader of the team generates the the cohesion points for the team, Lets say he generates 7 points (for example), now who gets these points? Does each member of his team receive 7 points each to spend on w/e they  wish during the mission, or does it just go to the guy leading the team to spend?

#2 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:29 AM

The team as a whole. If they can't agree on cohesion use, simply deduct some points during play. That usually creates more unity between players (and PCs) pretty fast.

Alex

My 40K Blog (essentially a Best Of FFG Forums):

http://www.40kroleplay.weebly.com

House Rules, Rule Clarifications, Game Aids, New Creatures, consolidated official Deathwatch Squad Mode rules, 40K Tabletop to 40K Roleplay comversions, etc.

#3 Grimbeard

Grimbeard

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:59 AM

Hi there,

I have a question on cohesion and I think the rulebook does not refer to my question. How much cohesion can the Kill-Team collect during a mission. I think I read somewhere that the starting cohesion is by no means a limit and with success on mission objectives the players can gain further cohesion points. In one of my latest sessions my players threw a lot of their FP to survive the encounter and now they are walking around with 12 and more cohesion points. Is this the way it should be or is there anywhere a cap mentioned in any of the rules?

thanks for your help

#4 Thebigjul

Thebigjul

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:59 PM

From memory you should not be able to get more cohesion points than the initial score.

You can gain points when some are missing but never more than the initial.

So if your squad leader is a rank 8 ultramarine with command +20, gilded bolter, ect… then there really low probability that your KT has so much cohesion points.

#5 Naviward

Naviward

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:52 PM

Grimbeard said:

In one of my latest sessions my players threw a lot of their FP to survive the encounter and now they are walking around with 12 and more cohesion points. 

Also, I don't know if this is the case, but it sounds like there were spending fate points on other things (like rerolls) and getting cohesion points, which isn't correct. One fate point can be spent on a reroll or adding one cohesion but not both.

#6 herichimo

herichimo

• Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:52 AM

The amount of Cohesion generated for the Kill-Team is a single pool used by the whole team. Anyone can use the cohesion for things but there is only a single pool which all members draw from.

Fate points may be used to regenerate lost cohesion, but they must be used for that purpose. Spending a fate point to re-roll a missed attack or skill check does not also regenerate a point of cohesion. You may not generate more cohesion than the amount your team leader generates for a mission.

#7 .113

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:56 AM

you CAN get more than the initial points.

It's specified in the Errata.

Recovering lost Cohesion (p. 212): Add the following sentence, "points of cohesion recovered by the Kill-team during a mission can exceed the number of cohesion points generated at the start of the mission (this may represent the kill-team learning to work together to accomplish goals)"

#8 herichimo

herichimo

• Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:43 AM

.113 said:

you CAN get more than the initial points.

It's specified in the Errata.

Recovering lost Cohesion (p. 212): Add the following sentence, "points of cohesion recovered by the Kill-team during a mission can exceed the number of cohesion points generated at the start of the mission (this may represent the kill-team learning to work together to accomplish goals)"

Cookie for you.

I debated stating "I don't think cohesion points can be higher than the start," but didn't as the main rulebook I was looking at at the time of my reply was fairly specific it couldn't.

#9 .113

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:49 PM

yeah, I just had to look it up since I had some vague memory you could, but when looking in the book I didn't find it anywhere so I checked the errata and found it :)

Thanks for the cookie

#10 Grimbeard

Grimbeard

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:02 AM

Thanks for helping me out guys,

so may I summarize: You can get more than your starting cohesion during a mission (see errata) and you replenish cohesion by spending a FP to get back an already spent cohesion point. !?

regards

#11 Charmander

Charmander

• Members
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:41 PM

Yes.

Note there are other means of replenishing spent cohesion, such as the Ultramarine's Rally Cry ability

#12 Brother Anselm

Brother Anselm

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:01 AM

When activating a squad mode ability that is Sustained, the Cohesion cost is only paid once per mission; after the initial cost has been paid, the Sustained ability may be freely used by any Battle brother in the kill team (provided they are in squad mode) for the duration of the mission

This is from Rites of Battle pg 226

Does this mean any sustained Squad mode is only paid for once per mission, what happens if another different squad mode is used later on, I'm assuming you pay for that as normal.

So does that mean should the situation change can a marine then go back to using the first squad mode without paying the cohesion again.

eg Kill team Alpha goes into squad mode and puts up Mode A, they pay the cost, later a situation arises where Mode B is needed, they pay the cost, later as situations arise they now have the use of Mode A & B for free or they can pay for Mode C and so on.

No need to answer I found what I need in the Errata

Edited by Brother Anselm, 03 September 2013 - 11:26 AM.

#13 herichimo

herichimo

• Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:01 PM

When activating a squad mode ability that is Sustained, the Cohesion cost is only paid once per mission; after the initial cost has been paid, the Sustained ability may be freely used by any Battle brother in the kill team (provided they are in squad mode) for the duration of the mission

This is from Rites of Battle pg 226

Does this mean any sustained Squad mode is only paid for once per mission, what happens if another different squad mode is used later on, I'm assuming you pay for that as normal.

So does that mean should the situation change can a marine then go back to using the first squad mode without paying the cohesion again.

eg Kill team Alpha goes into squad mode and puts up Mode A, they pay the cost, later a situation arises where Mode B is needed, they pay the cost, later as situations arise they now have the use of Mode A & B for free or they can pay for Mode C and so on.

No need to answer I found what I need in the Errata

If the marine does not voluntarily, or involuntarily cease sustaining a squad mode ability, it will not expire. And the cost only need be paid once.

If a marine chooses to stop the ability it ends, and the cohesion cost must be re-paid to reactivate.

If the marine is knocked unconcious or drops out of squad mode the ability he is sustaining immediately ends. The ability's cohesion cost must be paid again to reactivate.

If the team runs out of cohesion for whatever reason, ALL sustained abilities immediately end.

The following two quotes are clarifications from FFG:

"When a Battle-Brother leaves Squad Mode, for any reason, while sustaining a Squad Mode Ability, the Ability is no longer sustained and its effects end as if he had chosen to stop sustaining it at that moment.

Thank you for your questions and happy gaming,

Tim"

"Sorry for the confusion as to your question. In answer to your actual question, in the event that you leave squad mode for any reason, you do, in fact, have to pay the Cohesion cost again when you choose to reactivate the Squad Mode Ability."

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS