----------------- The night falls and the Hive is opened to us at last, AKA Mid summer dreams ---------------
A night so dark that you could believe the starts where gone, the fog so thick you could barely see you own feet. The light of the projectors, cooking fires or the welding torches created eery effect over the motor column. Little could be seen of the space port here too, except maybe for a glimpse of light when one of the orbital reentry shuttle would power it's engine to the max to acquire an escape velocity to leave this Emperor forsaken planet. The spell of bad dream had not receded if anything it had amplified with the coming of the night. The soldiers where on the edge, the engineers restless and tired from the constant wielding. How long at it been now? 2 days? Every single door of the spire was welded shut, it at considerably slowed the colony deployment, the main power generator was located at it's base and the colony command and control center was located within the central area like the power generator but a few kilometers above.
"I KNOW we are late on deployment schedules,... , NO, civilians are still confined to the temporary habitat, ... a reason? Tell them, the sentry will shoot at any moving shadows outside the perimeter it as to do for now. ... listen we are dealing with the spire right now, we have breached the outer doors, probably half way to the commander center and the main generatorium... No, I don't want the civilian to block the supply lines, they are to remain on the tempo..., listen you incompetent fool, if you cut me again I'll have shot then replaced. As I said, the spire is still of limits for security reasons, we would not want our troops shooting on civilian while we clear it corridor per corridor. This is the official story, any deviation from it means you make the carrier of the rumor a forgotten one. The real story? It for those in need only and you have don't need to know. Above all, KEEP 'HEM QUIET N REASSURED and indoors as much as possible. Okay, as soon as we are done, I'll try to pass by and pretend I enjoy their company.. YES of course it's a joke...
- My Lord, I have just been informed by the 2nd Engineer crew, they are about ready to break the seal for the Command and Control Center." said the Senechal from is own day a bit further off, both had been elbow deep in coordination and paperwork, since there was little else to do while the engineering crew where at work " The Blood Ravens are assembling bu the door.
- Good, have a word sent to wait for me, I'll head there right away.
- The 2nd engineering crew reports it should breach the main power generatorium in the next hour or so my Lord.
- Are you going to accompany me?
- If my Lord does not mind, I would rather...
- Maybe I said it wrong, you are going to accompany me...
-... As you wish my Lord." The senechal eyes rolled again, can this man do anything without me?
- Ev... My dear Arch Militant, if you could please ensure that our most effective CC team is ready with the engineering crew." Without hesitation Maximus strolled out of the room not looking at is personal body guard and alto he was the overall house control, she held the true power over the military elements of the house. here icy stare followed him and she stepped out after him. Only the senechal was able to see the desire to kill in her eyes... what had triggered that feeling he thought? He could see a few actually, the Rogue Trader had a bad tendency to macro manage, probably Eva just did not like to be second guessed...
------ Deep within the Hive a little while latter -----
"Lord Rogue Trader Maximus, how gracious of you to be here... finally" The booming and clearly annoyed voice and impatient of the Librarian covered all the noise around the site, the supply line created by the deployed man power to keep a retreating path in the hive had helped to navigate the hive but it was still an impressive structure and traveling it could be long.
"I have no doubt your team could have managed anything we will find on the other side my dear friend" at that the Space Marine eyebrow raised had he not just jested the Rogue Trader? Yet is words where not supplicating or asking for forgiveness for ordering the Space marines to wait. The Librarian gaze concentrated deeper on the Rogue Trader brushing the contour of is soul, trying to reading is upper thought. Then the librarian understood the mornings exchange of words clearly...
"I am sorry Lord Space Marine" said the Rogue Trader and after a pose," you may find this planet uninteresting, next time I will try harder to find a stop where your skills are more challenged.
- There is no smaller task, only the eternal vigil.
- yes... then I assume as you are always vigilant there is no need to worry..."
The Librarian eyes crossed those of the Rogue Trader, the same state was there as this morning... then the image sunk in, this man was ready for a fight to the death, he was looking to avenge someone or something... around the Rogue Traders left hands was wrapped a prayer bead, caked in blood. He had seen those before, the maiden of the house ***** that same prayer bead, so did all the young women of the crew... That one was quick to anger, he would have to insure this would not jeopardize the greater mission or is battle brothers.
"Do it" simply said the Lord Rogue Trader. As one the Space Marines caught each an handle on the door and started to pull them apart with a great grinding noise. The Rogue Trader did not move, standing strait in front of the great doors not moving, defiant. Then is shoulder sank, nothing rushed out, no answer yet, no enemy to come to grasp with, still no answer on what had happened to the original colony.
The room was empty, completely empty. As had been the Hive up to know, not a single trace of blood either, the carnage had been limited to the area surrounding the hive spire, well every where else then the spire. The Only sign had been this "Do not Open" painted in great letters on the 1st door then nothing at all. Only the mansion of the governor had revealed a bit more "Death" had been written in blood on the walls, nothing much there either.
As they explored the room, nothing obvious came, except when the Navigator and the Librarian opened their sense to the effect of the Warp. There on the command chair was a shade, an echo of the past or a psykic impression. As the Librarian and the Navigator spoke about it's origin, the crew listening to the discussion of ethereal matter, the Rogue Trader moved towards the chair en surprisingly sat in it at once and yelled: "I reclaim this Colony in the glorious name of the Emperator of Man and Horalis!"
As had happened previously, the power went out at once over the entire colony, with a scornful reply the Rogue trader said : "Bring back the power now! I command you!", and just as he finished the power did come back...
All the remaining of the command staff looked at him with stare of confusion.... "What are you doing, Senechal call the colony manager tell them we finished cycling the power cells again...
- But my Lord what power cell", inquired the Magos.
- Just mind your business Magos.
- But I believe the Power cell should be my business, I demand to know what power cell...
- You demand NOTHING!!!" yelled back the Rogue Trader, after a few seconds the Rogue trader said "All none command crew clear the room", as all followed with side way glance to each other expecting hell to break loose as soon as the door would close. " Now we are alone, please excuse the charade my good Magos, we are telling the colony those power outage are due to power cell cycling to prevent unrest, I don;t know if it really works but it's better then general panic when the population realizes we are under threat.
- But clearly you have no signs of this", stated the Magos, "Like you had none to force me to destroy the blood sample, which could have wielded valuable information...
- Well not until a few seconds ago", the Rogue Trader slipped a data pad on the desk, the 1st note said:
---------------------- Engineering Report -------------------------
TO: Governor Alicia Horalis
FROM: 1st shift assistant to main Power Hub, Frackles MeGood
Reason : Crack on the floor
My dear Governor, no we cannot simply patch the "crack" in the floor as you said it, it goes very deep, it could destabilize the entire Hive Spire super structure, We must send out a investigation and assessment party to quantify the amount of damage to the structure and t#&%^@%^$@^&%$@
---- Message terminated for unknown reason ------
- The next message talks about unrest while the last one is unreadable."
The booming voice of the marine added:" We now know wher...
- Stop, don't open the doors", yelled the Rogue Trader in is comm-bead, already running down the corridor, "To all teams relay the message do not open...
- .......bbzzzzzzz... ggrssshh....Eeelllppp, they are everywhere.... by the Imperor mercy... ", staccato of gunfire and the zapping sound of lazers carbine being fire.
- Pull back, pull back" yelled the Rogue Trader, pushing is speed to the limit, only the astartes had been able to catch and double him.
As they made for the main Spire crossing, they found the column of vehicles abandoned, candles, those damned candles where every where again. Not stopping for long, they kept bolting for the main generatorium hopping to be able to catch the crew before they had broken loose wha...
Just as the thought formed in is mind about what he was really going to do, he but headed a guard on duty who had taken the opportunity to try and cook some recaf.
"SORRY my Lord, please I beg of you excuse me.
- it's okay, you don't use milk.
-... euuhh, yes my Lord...
- What is the report of the missing teams? What have you seen?
-...euuuhh...", the soldier looked at is cup, then the Rogue trader, unsure: " Missing team sir?
- Didn't you ear their screams on the comm?
- Euuhhh... Screams my Lord?
- Never mind resume you duty and next time, the thing running down the corridor might be a monster soldier be on your guard, I could have killed you...
- Yes my Lord Trader.
- maybe you should still Lord Captain for incompetence and dereliction of duty my Lord", added the towering and imposing presence of the Librarian. At that the soldier took is guard post white like a flag...
----- part 4 coming up, into the rabbit hole! ----------------