Photo

Anyone that demo'ed the game @ GenCon, I could use your help!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 telengard

telengard

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:58 AM

This is probably a long shot since it's been so long, but now that the game seems to be taking a turn away from co-op, which I was hoping for, I'd like to print up a version to play using the known rules and cards.  There are some gaps that I haven't been able to figure out and I'm hoping that those who were lucky enough to demo the game @ Gencon or other places could help fill them in.  I've scour'ed the net and forums and have written up the basic rules and also made a spoiler of sorts.  However, some things aren't totally clear from the info I've found.

The questions I have are...

- Reserved draws, do they require exhausting the card?
- Do cards exhaust to 'mission'?
- Developments are just cards under your base?
- Is the amount of influence generated by cards under your base equal to the
number of cards?
- How does playing a second unique (or any card?) on top of another work?
- Difference between Unique and Limited?
- Is mission failure checked when time is increased in the Regroup phase?
- Limit of 3 cards of each type?
- When could pilot'ed ships attack?
- Do ships exhaust to generate influence?

These are the cards I've been able to find so far, are there any that I am missing?

Imperial:
Probe Droid
Imperial Pilot
Imperial Officer
Tie Bomber
Stormtrooper
Grip of the Empire
Victory-Class Star Destroyer
Interrogation
Stormtrooper Legion
Tie Interceptor
Devestator
Darth Vader
Heavy Stormtrooper
Imperial Shuttle

Rebel:
Han Solo
Chewbacca
A-Wing Interceptor
Corellian Corvette
Over My Dead Body
Lando Calrissian
Rebel Marksman
Combat Reflexes
Tactical Strike
X-Wing
Y-Wing
Red Five
Twi'lek Spice Runner
Luke Skywalker
Smuggler
Redemption
Draw Their fire
Don't Get Cocky
Millennium Falcon
Wedge Antilles
Rookie Pilot
Sullustan Recruit
Admiral Ackbar
Let the Wookie Win
Rebel Trooper
<??a Limited ship that allowed any player to exhaust it for influence>
<?? Imperial ?? Star Destroyer, had you discard all developments from 1 player's base>

Mission:
Return to Yavin 4
Infiltrate Imperial Outpost
Escape with the Data

Strategy:
Hunt Them Down
Imperial Command
Reinforcements
Space Assault

Thanks to all those that did post session reports/overviews of their demo @ Gencon, without that, none of this would even be possible.  I do hope that FFG does put out a co-op SW game even if it isn't the LCG.

~telengard

#2 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:02 AM

Great idea! Kudos to you for putting this together. Unfortunately, I wasn't at GenCon so I can't help out. I hope you can get the other information you need.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#3 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:58 AM

And if you do get it, will you post it up? I'd love to see the card game that might have been!

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#4 telengard

telengard

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:15 AM

I will absolutely post everything!  I'm currently working on the card frames I have a decent enough resolution card for the rebels/imperals but haven't been able to find nice pics of the frames for missions or strategy cards.  Still poking around.

#5 telengard

telengard

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:20 AM

Making some great progress on this...

In trying to write up some rules, a few more basic questions came up...

- When either side attacks, is it a one sided affair? i.e When the Empire attacks, are only Rebel units/ships assigned damage? From reading the session reports of the demo it seems that way to me.

- Resourses. From the sounds of it, resources are handled somewhat like Rune Age. There are no tokens gained for resources, you just exhaust and spend to play as an action. Does that sound correct?

#6 spirit

spirit

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:11 PM

Bump just to keep it on the first page. 

#7 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:12 AM

I don't have any information, but I was wondering how this project was coming along. I'm excited to see what you're able to pull together.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#8 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:28 AM

telengard said:

- Resourses. From the sounds of it, resources are handled somewhat like Rune Age. There are no tokens gained for resources, you just exhaust and spend to play as an action. Does that sound correct?

I wasn't at GenCon of course, but in all the photos I saw there was a small array of the red plastic counters that FFG have available from their store, which I presumed would represent something along the lines of resources? Unless they were merely there for damage? Hm. Well, this has probably been of no help at all, but thought I'd post it, just in case!

#9 telengard

telengard

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:16 AM

Budgernaut said:

I don't have any information, but I was wondering how this project was coming along. I'm excited to see what you're able to pull together.

Still working on the rule book (using the other LCG rulebooks for text when applicable).  There are still a couple of open questions that I need to get to the bottom of.  I was also hindered by a bug w/ the software I was using to create cards (which is now fixed).  Progress continues.  I would be very appreciative if someone could either create or find a higher res scan of a strategy card for me to extract out the left hand side w/ the AI sections.  I just don't have the skills to do that.   I'm also still hoping that the final game from FFG will be similar to what was played @ GenCon although it's seeming to be a lot less likely.

I also found some "hidden" cards on this site through some creative URL manipulation.  :)  Not sure these were ever shown anywhere (they may have but i hadn't found them).

Did anyone see the Princess Leia artwork that was going to be on a card?  Great stuff...  I'll try and post later today.  The guy who did the artwork for that should do the artwork for the entire game IMO.  He did the Vader and Han Solo too, great stuff.

~telengard

#10 telengard

telengard

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:17 AM

spalanzani said:

telengard said:

I wasn't at GenCon of course, but in all the photos I saw there was a small array of the red plastic counters that FFG have available from their store, which I presumed would represent something along the lines of resources? Unless they were merely there for damage? Hm. Well, this has probably been of no help at all, but thought I'd post it, just in case!

That's what I was assuming too.  The red markers were for damage.  Thanks for chiming in though and keeping the topic alive!

~telengard

#11 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:06 AM

telengard said:

Budgernaut said:

Still working on the rule book (using the other LCG rulebooks for text when applicable).  There are still a couple of open questions that I need to get to the bottom of.  I was also hindered by a bug w/ the software I was using to create cards (which is now fixed).  Progress continues.  I would be very appreciative if someone could either create or find a higher res scan of a strategy card for me to extract out the left hand side w/ the AI sections.  I just don't have the skills to do that.   I'm also still hoping that the final game from FFG will be similar to what was played @ GenCon although it's seeming to be a lot less likely.

I also found some "hidden" cards on this site through some creative URL manipulation.  :)  Not sure these were ever shown anywhere (they may have but i hadn't found them).

Did anyone see the Princess Leia artwork that was going to be on a card?  Great stuff...  I'll try and post later today.  The guy who did the artwork for that should do the artwork for the entire game IMO.  He did the Vader and Han Solo too, great stuff.

~telengard

I hadn't seen a Leia, no! Hadn't thought of her until you mentioned her then, either! And hidden cards, hey? My god, you simply must post this stuff!!!

#12 telengard

telengard

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:36 AM

spalanzani said:

telengard said:

Budgernaut said:

~telengard

I hadn't seen a Leia, no! Hadn't thought of her until you mentioned her then, either! And hidden cards, hey? My god, you simply must post this stuff!!!

Here's the picture of Princess Leia:

The cards I found aren't anything that hasn't been spoiled online, they were just full size prints that I had not seen anywhere.

Now that my Rune Age customs are finally done I'm on this one as my main project.

~telengard

#13 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:07 AM

That is a pretty awesome picture!

#14 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:18 AM

telengard said:

The questions I have are…

The following are things I've thought about, but I have no more information than I did before. If you agree or disagree with these, please let me know.

Looking at the Lando card, I'd say the card draw granted in the reserve zone does not require you to exhaust the character, since a different ability specifically says to exhaust him in the reserve zone to carry it out.

I would assume you have to exhaust to go on a mission. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there were 4 zones: reserve, mission, combat, and space. Since combat is where you attack enemies, I don't know what else your characters would exhaust for in the mission zone.

Unique means there is only one on the table at a time. Limited means you can only play one per round. What we don't know is if it's one per player per round, or one per round, period. I'm inclined to say the latter.

I would assume 3 of each card per deck, just like their other LCGs. It makes sense if they're selling cards by 3 in the Force Packs.

Yes, ships must exhaust to generate influence. I believe it is the number in the lower left of Rebel ship cards.

As far as strategy cards go, let's look at one, 23rd card down. There are a bunch of symbols. I'm trying to make sense of them. What I have figured out is that some of the symbols are for Imperial zones. The upper left symbol is the same symbol on the Imperial Officer. The blue pokéball is the same symbol as the Imperial Probe Droid and also the Heavy Stormtrooper. The lower right symbol that looks like a green "x" is also on the Imperial Pilot. The Imperial ships don't have  symbols in the upper left and I think that's because they only attack if the strategy card specifically states it. For example, instead of the bounty hunter effect of discarding characters from the top of your deck, it would say the Imperial fleet attacks the first player's space zone. I'm not sure which of those three symbols correspond to what Imperial zone. All I know is there is a ground unit zone for Imperials and I assume there is an anti-mission zone. But maybe the Imperials are just split into 3 zones to keep you guessing at who will attack and divide up your attacks. Maybe there's no function to the three Imperial zones. The other symbols are Rebel symbols, I believe. The green "R" on the top right is probably the reserve zone. The blaster in the circle is probably the combat zone. The target symbol I think means you can choose any Imperial zone to attack. The Rebel crest is the mission zone. I'm not sure what the space zone would look like or when you'd be able to attack with your starfighters.

Hopefully that helps some, but I wouldn't be surprised if you'd already figured this out, Telengard.

--Count Dooku

#15 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:24 PM

Here's more. I think the Star Destroyer you marked with question marks should be:

Imperial Class Star Destroyer
1 attack
1 defense
Star Destroyer
Flashpoint [Resolve without discussing]
Resilient 1
When Revealed: Choose 1 player. Discard all developments attached to that player's base.

--Count Dooku

#16 Aahzmandius_Karrde

Aahzmandius_Karrde

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:40 PM

Not sure if you'rte on BGG and/or saw this: http://boardgamegeek...emo-gencon-2011

That was the review I posted while at GenCon.

I'll try and address some of the issues directly.

My review said to exaust, and there was no contradiction later in the conversation (I did get one or two things wrong)

Most definately

- Is the amount of influence generated by cards under your base equal to the number of cards?

Yes, any card from hand.

Game of Thrones style. If you have stacked unique character and that character dies one copy is discarded.

Unique is just that. Limited is once Limited card per turn. Turn not round, so both you and I can play limited cards on each of our turns.

Yes.

I doubt it was addressed during the demo, but they haven't strayed from that for any other LCG.

Only when the strategy card spacified that Imperial ships attack.

- Do ships exhaust to generate influence?[

During phase 3, when you are playing cards from your hand.

I definately like to see any progress you've made. I know I probably reanswered a few questions, but I figured I'd be through.

Welcome to the FFG Star Wars RPG Index 

#17 telengard

telengard

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:52 PM

Budgernaut said:

telengard said:

The questions I have are…

The following are things I've thought about, but I have no more information than I did before. If you agree or disagree with these, please let me know.

Looking at the Lando card, I'd say the card draw granted in the reserve zone does not require you to exhaust the character, since a different ability specifically says to exhaust him in the reserve zone to carry it out.

Good point.  Although maybe having him exhaust to card draw gives a little tension in choices.  Do I use his ability or take the card draw.

Budgernaut said:

I would assume you have to exhaust to go on a mission. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there were 4 zones: reserve, mission, combat, and space. Since combat is where you attack enemies, I don't know what else your characters would exhaust for in the mission zone.

Makes sense to me too.

Budgernaut said:

Unique means there is only one on the table at a time. Limited means you can only play one per round. What we don't know is if it's one per player per round, or one per round, period. I'm inclined to say the latter.

Hmm, I'm wondering if some other LCG has this mechanic and that might give more insight.  I'm with you on it feeling like it should be the latter given the co-op nature of the game.

Budgernaut said:

I would assume 3 of each card per deck, just like their other LCGs. It makes sense if they're selling cards by 3 in the Force Packs.

Yes, ships must exhaust to generate influence. I believe it is the number in the lower left of Rebel ship cards.

Good catch!

Budgernaut said:

As far as strategy cards go, let's look at one, 23rd card down. There are a bunch of symbols. I'm trying to make sense of them. What I have figured out is that some of the symbols are for Imperial zones. The upper left symbol is the same symbol on the Imperial Officer. The blue pokéball is the same symbol as the Imperial Probe Droid and also the Heavy Stormtrooper. The lower right symbol that looks like a green "x" is also on the Imperial Pilot. The Imperial ships don't have  symbols in the upper left and I think that's because they only attack if the strategy card specifically states it. For example, instead of the bounty hunter effect of discarding characters from the top of your deck, it would say the Imperial fleet attacks the first player's space zone. I'm not sure which of those three symbols correspond to what Imperial zone. All I know is there is a ground unit zone for Imperials and I assume there is an anti-mission zone. But maybe the Imperials are just split into 3 zones to keep you guessing at who will attack and divide up your attacks. Maybe there's no function to the three Imperial zones. The other symbols are Rebel symbols, I believe. The green "R" on the top right is probably the reserve zone. The blaster in the circle is probably the combat zone. The target symbol I think means you can choose any Imperial zone to attack. The Rebel crest is the mission zone. I'm not sure what the space zone would look like or when you'd be able to attack with your starfighters.

Hopefully that helps some, but I wouldn't be surprised if you'd already figured this out, Telengard.

Hehe, it does help, thanks!  I'm kinda winging it and I've not spent as much time as I 'd like on it lately as I'm a little excited about Netrunner but I do plan to put this all out, esp if the final game ends up not having a co-op/solo option.  I do think your last bit about the symbols and zones is spot on, that's pretty much what I've determined pouring over all the cards.

~telengard

#18 telengard

telengard

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:53 PM

Budgernaut said:

Here's more. I think the Star Destroyer you marked with question marks should be:

Imperial Class Star Destroyer
1 attack
1 defense
Star Destroyer
Flashpoint [Resolve without discussing]
Resilient 1
When Revealed: Choose 1 player. Discard all developments attached to that player's base.

Excellent!  Although my notes say it has 7 attack and 7 defense, probably a typo on my part. :)

#19 telengard

telengard

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:54 PM

----- Ugh, quoting did not work well for this post -----

Not sure if you'rte on BGG and/or saw this: http://boardgamegeek...emo-gencon-2011

That was the review I posted while at GenCon.

Yep, it was a GREAT help too, thanks!

I'll try and address some of the issues directly.

My review said to exaust, and there was no contradiction later in the conversation (I did get one or two things wrong)

Most definately

- Is the amount of influence generated by cards under your base equal to the number of cards?

Yes, any card from hand.

Game of Thrones style. If you have stacked unique character and that character dies one copy is discarded.

Unique is just that. Limited is once Limited card per turn. Turn not round, so both you and I can play limited cards on each of our turns.

Yes.

I doubt it was addressed during the demo, but they haven't strayed from that for any other LCG.

Only when the strategy card spacified that Imperial ships attack.

- Do ships exhaust to generate influence?[

During phase 3, when you are playing cards from your hand.

I definately like to see any progress you've made. I know I probably reanswered a few questions, but I figured I'd be through.

Wow, this is great stuff, I'm incorporating into the rulebook I've been composing. I'll post something soon-ish. :)

I had spent a LOT of time making card image templates out of the existing cards available using the Gimp but gave up on it due to not having good enough images of the Strategy and Mission cards.

~telengard

#20 telengard

telengard

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:15 PM

Going over the current rules I have written down, combat seems to be a grey area.  

So for mission combat, you total up the attack damage, add modifiers, and apply the damage as the players see fit to units in the target area.

Ship combat seems to be the same thing, but excess goes towards the base.  This part of the game in general I'm just not sure I have all the details.  Exact text from my notes:

Resolve ship combat after strategy card is done if specified. Add up damage from
Imperial ships and apply to defense of Rebel ships which you exhaust to intercept, any excess damage goes against your base.
Your base can take 10 total damage before you are out of the game.

I have this in my notes too

Pilot (You may play this card as a Pilot on any 'Fighter'. That ship may exhaust to attack as an Action.)
Does this just mean when the Imperials attack as part of a strategy card?  I guess that is a little confusing…

New questions I have written down to figure out:

- Can events be played during the initial playing of cards w/ the 7 influence?

- Event cards don't cost anything?

- If a card bumps up the time past the current mission, does it end immediately and you move on to the next stage?

If only there had been a rule-book available.    :)

~telengard

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS