Photo

The Bloodquest Cycle (or, Why I'm Staying!)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 812 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:06 PM

Firstly, I have to say that I'm still fairly new to this game, discovering it in September last year when FFG had announced they had the SW licence, and I was looking into their other stuff. Quite quickly, this game became my favourite for game nights, and has seen the table probably more often than any other game in the six months since. However, I also got into LotR and AGoT, both of which I also really like, so with SW then-looming on the horizon, I started thinking I should cut back on my gaming budget before it gets out of control, as following four games is a bit excessive, and Warhammer was chosen as the one to go.

The main reason for this, I suppose, is that, having all the card expansions up to date, I felt like it was a great game where it stood, and so I didn't need anything else to make it even greater. The Legends, the Epic Spells, the dearth of neutral allies, there wasn't really anything else I felt I needed to improve my enjoyment of the game.

But then in December Bloodquest was announced, and it was like a blow to the head. Yes, there's a reason why I don't often send units on a quest! Yes, the Legend cards seem a bit under-supported! Yes: I need more Warhammer!

The opportunity to gain card rewards from questing is something that immediately appealed to me, and even though I'm not a High Elf player, the stuff promised by the first battle pack, Rising Dawn, ignited my interest like a petrol-soaked forest catching fire. Since then, the previews of upcoming packs have succeeded in getting me excited about this game, and I've decided I'll stick around for the cycle, at least!

The Legends are definitely part of the reason as well. The Legends were good, with the handful of cards that support them (if that), so it'll be really nice to see this area also getting a real boost. And new Legends are always welcome! The whole cycle really feels like it's bringing recent developments in the game together, tying the whole thing into one magnificent game. The prospect of more neutral support, new sub-themes, and all the rest of it, has me really looking forward to getting these battle packs in my hot little hands soon!

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#2 Jvirtue55

Jvirtue55

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:08 AM

Glad to hear the more players the better

#3 Teokrata

Teokrata

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:05 PM

I agree The Bloodquest Cycle looks really great and well disigned.

#4 Entropy42

Entropy42

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:49 AM

I think the Bloodquest Cycle is going to do a good job of shoring up some areas of the game that were kind of left behind in the past, which hopefully will open up more viable deck types and challenge notions of which cards are "auto-include" or "auto-ignore".

#5 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 812 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:10 AM

Yeah, that's my hope too. It's getting to the point now that there are just so many cards per race, there are inevitably an awful lot that are just never getting used. For me, I pretty much never use a quest in my deck, so I'm really excited to see what they bring out to make me take a look at the whole card pool again and see what I can do with these cards!

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#6 Titan

Titan

• Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:41 AM

Although I use quests in some of my decks, I've never been a big fan of the mechanic. In my opinion, the game would have been just as good without it. Perhaps that's just because of the lack of good quests and support for them, so I guess we'll see.

#7 Papa Khann

Papa Khann

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:27 AM

IMHO, you won't regret staying around for the BloodQuest cycle.  ; )

Papa

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS