Next Deluxe Expansion?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 571 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:43 PM

Now that FFG has released six Deluxe Expansions (one for each House), what's next on the Deluxe agenda? Anyone know? I haven't been able to find anything on the site.

#2 alpha5099

alpha5099

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:37 PM

Nope, we're all waiting to hear. Knock on wood, any day now FFG will have something to announce (hopefully alongside some damned reprints -grrr-), but for now you're guess is as good as anyone's.

It's possible they might just start going through the Houses again, though that seems a little unlikely. I think the leading candidates (at least among people's wishlists) have been either a neutral expansion or one focused on multi-House characters. During the CCG days, there were a few blocks that focused on House with split loyalties, so there were a lot of Tyrell cards (Lanni/Bara) and Bolton (Lanni/Stark), and various other dual-house cards. And given that they've said the Essos cycle won't be having neutral characters or locations in it, it's possible that maybe they'll focus the neutral energy toward an expansion.

#3 Deathjester26

Deathjester26

• Members
  • 764 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:37 PM

IMHO, GJ and Martell still need boxes since they weren't in the Core Set.

#4 Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr

• Members
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:47 PM

Yeah, I think boxes for GJ and then Martell to bring their card count up to the level of the CS houses are a distinct, though somewhat boring, possibility. I also think we will see a House Arryn box at some point. House Arryn cards have been conspicuously absent from the game. It doesn't seem likely they'll be introduced as a full-fledged seventh faction (although I'd pee myself with joy if they were), but possibly as a sub-theme that can mesh with the existing houses.

#5 Mighty Jim

Mighty Jim

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:29 AM

I can see thematic/logistical issues with trying to do an Arryn box.

If you set them up as a new house, you'd only have 55 cards (based on previous formats), and you'd either have only one credible build, or you'd need masses of neutral/out-of-house cards thrown in.

Of existing cards, I can only think of a few which fit with House Arryn on a story basis - even at the broadest stretch, Jon Arryn (obviously), Ned, Robert, Catelyn, Littlefinger, Sansa, the Mad Mouse. Maybe expanding the Littlefinger theme, you could add a Kettleblack, but it's a stretch,

If you run it out of an existing house, you've again got an issue of balance. Stark, or at a stretch Baratheon seem the only likely options - unless there's a house Baelish planned any time soon (unlikely)

Presumably the most likely thing would be to have it as an agenda - some kind of incentive for running enough house Arryn cards (if the new ones were to be printed as neutrals) or an "ignore OOH penalty on all cards the House Arryn trait" if not.

either way, some more cards from the vale would be nice, but i'm not sure how it could be worked out in practice.

#6 oshi

oshi

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:33 AM

I don't know if you are aware or not, but there was a arryn set in the ccg, it seemed to include alot of neutral arryn characters and agenda-esque house attachments which make all your arryn cards count as your house when in play & hand.

I can't comment on how good/bad this set was in actual play but its an interesting mechanic. making it a straight up agenda would make it fairly similar to the brotherhood, wheras if they go with the old house attachment route, it does become flimsy, but it allows you to run the arryn set along side agendas...

#7 dcdennis

dcdennis

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:15 AM

I was under the impression that any new box might not be announced until the June/July timeframe based on when they announced LotR.

#8 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:15 AM

I think it's normally 3 months past a deluxe expansion release.  Some years the expansions are 6 months apart, and others it looks like 8 months.

House Arryn or Frey looks like a potential focus if it won't be a Greyjoy or Martell.

#9 Sokhar

Sokhar

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:40 AM

House Frey would be a pretty interesting direction, in my opinion. Unlike House Arryn (who basically sit out all the events of the books), the Freys are actually involved in much of the storyline threads. Not sure if you could build an entire deluxe expansion around them though, so perhaps a joint Frey-Arryn expansion for expanding upon neutrals could work. Or the aforementioned expansion of multi-affiliated cards to represent the traitors, fairweather supporters, and opportunistic houses that populate the setting.

#10 AceManUSC

AceManUSC

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:57 AM

Only "Great Houses" have been names as factions, and the Frey's are bannermen to Riverrun. Also, House Tyrell is another Great House that has been relegated to a sub-theme for Baratheon and Lannister. So, if House Tully and House Tyrell can have that happen to them, House Arryn has no hope of being a faction. They most likely would end up a neutral set of cards that may get an Agenda.

#11 dcdennis

dcdennis

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:05 AM

AceManUSC said:

Only "Great Houses" have been names as factions, and the Frey's are bannermen to Riverrun. Also, House Tyrell is another Great House that has been relegated to a sub-theme for Baratheon and Lannister. So, if House Tully and House Tyrell can have that happen to them, House Arryn has no hope of being a faction. They most likely would end up a neutral set of cards that may get an Agenda.

I dont think anyone is suggestion that the box will be a new house for arryn. I think they are suggesting it will be a box full of neutral cards with the arryn trait, much like ccg.

#12 Fieras

Fieras

• Members
  • 777 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:59 AM

I am hoping for 3 dual house expansions.

Perhaps Lannister/Bara - could focus on tyrell

Martell/Targ - Could focus on some of the southern themes.

Stark/GJ - Could focus on arryn/frey and some others.

Maybe an expansion that focuses entirely on 6 house affiliation?

Maybe a neutral expansion?

#13 AceManUSC

AceManUSC

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:45 AM

dh098017 said:

AceManUSC said:

I dont think anyone is suggestion that the box will be a new house for arryn. I think they are suggesting it will be a box full of neutral cards with the arryn trait, much like ccg.

Check out Mighty Jim's post above.

#14 playgroundpsychotic

playgroundpsychotic

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:06 AM

I want an expansion featuring art from the TV show for two reasons:

1 - Emilia Clarke is hawt.

2 - I want a Crown of Gold attachment.

#15 Mathias Fricot

Mathias Fricot

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:47 PM

I recommend an expansion based on Robert's Rebellion.

Yes, ffg, you can hire me anytime. And by hire, I mean let me volunteer.

#16 RobotMartini

RobotMartini

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:33 PM

House Aryyn's ccg era stuff was (and is, if your meta lets you play it) a mixed bag. their treaty-via-attachment concept gave them a unique feel for each house (if you went stark, they all enter play with a power preloaded... total cheese rush that could become) but they nevr felt truly thematic IMHO-too ggressive and involved in the game for what they actually do in the books. not that i think FFG would bring them back as they were, but our current level of attachment and location hate would burn them pretty bad too. that all said, i'd love to see them again but how do you represent a group that isnt really playing the game? almost like your faction would be vying for enough control to actually bring them into the game (NPCs?Coopitition variant?) ...who knows :) more likely to see more reprints and expansions of themes we already have i think

#17 alpha5099

alpha5099

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:58 PM

If they do House Arryn stuff, I think it would be cool if they did a single Vale Pact agenda that had a different effect for each house. Might be hard to do so the card isn't ridiculously text heavy.

Why didn't Lanni not get a Vale Pact back in the day? Just for Nedly reasons, that the Vale wouldn't ally with Lannister? It's not like it makes much sense for them to hook up with Greyjoy or Martell.

#18 Rubinon

Rubinon

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:34 PM

I think it was for thematic reasons. Wasn't that the expansion House Lannister got all the Clansmen - the sworn enemies of the Vale?

#19 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:36 AM

RobotMartini said:

House Aryyn's ccg era stuff was (and is, if your meta lets you play it) a mixed bag. their treaty-via-attachment concept gave them a unique feel for each house (if you went stark, they all enter play with a power preloaded... total cheese rush that could become) but they nevr felt truly thematic IMHO-too ggressive and involved in the game for what they actually do in the books. not that i think FFG would bring them back as they were, but our current level of attachment and location hate would burn them pretty bad too. that all said, i'd love to see them again but how do you represent a group that isnt really playing the game? almost like your faction would be vying for enough control to actually bring them into the game (NPCs?Coopitition variant?) ...who knows :) more likely to see more reprints and expansions of themes we already have i think

Was it easy to discard attachments in the CCG era?  If not, then "cannot be discarded from play" could be put on the pacts considering they seem to be more like agendas than attachments.  But if the text on those pacts needs to be accessible by "in play effects" then by all means it should be an attachment.

#20 Staton

Staton

• Members
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:49 AM

It was WAY easier to discard attachments. Even more so than now with the Maesters.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS