Photo

Stacking Background, Origin and Starting Skills. .

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Saldre

Saldre

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:10 AM

Hey!

So, one of my players wants to make a Shrine World (Blood of Martyr Home World) Redemption Firebrand (Background Package, Inquisitor's Handbook) Confessor (Blood of Martyrs Rank 1 Alternate).

Redemption Firebrand & Confessor both give Interrogation as a Starting Skill. Would one of these turn into talented (Interrogation)? I know it works that way in Rogue Trader- so I don't see why it wouldn't also work for Dark Heresy. 

There's probably a lot of Origins, Backgrounds & Starting skills that overlap. [Like someone from the Schola would get a lot of basic weapons training, which a lot of classes give as starting skills...]

Is there any official word on what happens in those cases?  What's your take on it? 

Thanks for the Answer! 

#2 Saldre

Saldre

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:14 PM

Cmon, nobody's had to deal with this before? :P 

I can hardly believe that! Maybe I just couldn't find the mention? 

#3 eponette

eponette

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:27 PM

As I play only DH, I don't know about this rule.

IMG, Each player had to create his background. From the background, I gave them a personnalized pack of starting skill, talents, .. I didn't have to deal with this kind of issue. But personnaly, I wouldn't do it. It is just starting skills, too bad if they overlap.

Just my 2 cents

#4 raffalin

raffalin

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:51 PM

I wouldn't allow it. If you can choose skill twice doesn't mean you can take it as a talented. It just means that you have it and don't have to buy it again. If your player really wants to have it as a talented I would aloow it as an elite advance for twice EXP points more.

#5 Musclewizard

Musclewizard

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:11 AM

I'm quite sure I read somewhere (not sure if it was a DH book though) that if you get a skill twice you get Taltented(Skill) instead of getting it a second time.

I think that this only applies when the skill is "forced" on you. I.E. Starting package and homeworld or whatever.

If you get the skill from your homeworld and at a later point you can buy it in your advancement table than you don't get Talented. At least that's how I would handle it...probably.

#6 Unusualsuspect

Unusualsuspect

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:12 PM

The "Skill twice = talented" rule, which is actually "Skill twice = +10, Skill 3rd time = Talented", comes from Rogue Trader.  It applies only to the background package and homeworld equivalencies.  Once you start spending xp on the class table, it's too late to get the boost.

#7 Saldre

Saldre

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:34 AM

Hey!

Thanks a lot, it actually helps quite a bit- I already told him that It wouldn't stack though so I dont think I am going to back off now.  He ended up taking Redeemer instead at rank 1, and confessor at rank 2. 

Edit- This was at character creation! Confessor replaces the starting skills with Interrogation, and the background package grants Interrogation as a starting skill. 

But I will keep it mind for next time. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS